Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Ideas for Rides for the 3rd Gate (Disney, non-Marvel and non-Star Wars)

Ever since I first learned about the notion/plan for a third Disney park in Anaheim I've been tremendously excited. (I've always felt that they should fill it with new, major Marvel and Star Wars attractions as opposed to putting them in Tomorrowland, etc.) Also though, I think it'd be really awesome to have classic Disney films and stories that haven't been represented much or at all in the parks. Here's the ideas I have...

Sleepy Hollow dark ride - a cool retelling of fun 40's animated short with exciting last scenes of the Headless Horseman chasing after you and a climax using a cool effect of the flaming jack-o-lantern being thrown at you

Jungle Book ride - a fun outdoor ride with a lush forest and scenes including each of the characters and classic songs like "The Bear Necessities" and "Wanna Be Like You"

Mickey and the Beanstalk dark ride - a simple dark ride recounting this seemingly forgotten story

Mary Poppins ride - this could be a much grander scope ride, recreating famous scenes from the film ("Spoonful of Sugar," laughing on the ceiling, Penguins, carousel horses, "Let's Go Fly a Kite," etc)

101 Dalmatians dark ride - another dark ride retelling the film with the "Cruella DeVil" song, etc.

Fantasia ride - another grand scale attraction with big, sweeping music taking you through the most beloved scenes from this classic including Toccata and Fugue, The Nutcracker Suite, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, The Rite of Spring, The Pastoral Symphony, Dance of the Hours, and Night on Bald Mountain. They could use whatever new tech is available to really make this ride truly grand and beautiful.

What do you think?
    What are your ideas?

• Minion

Re: Ideas for Rides for the 3rd Gate (Disney, non-Marvel and non-Star Wars)

Great ideas. I'd like to see a live show based on Mary Poppins.
    Don't forget The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast and WALL-E.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Great ideas. I'd like to see a live show based on Mary Poppins.
    Don't forget The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast and WALL-E.
    Well beauty and the Beast has a HUGE presence in New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom (Enchanted Tales with Belle, Be Our Guest, Gaston's Tavern, Belle's bookstore, the themed area as a whole...).

• Nutty about Disney parks

I like a lot of your ride ideas Mondo. The Fantasia ride has huge potential if done in a similar to the Ratatouille ride or Transformers where not only do you see the music, but you ride it as well. That would blow Walt's mind. :P

I would also add a Cinderella dark ride done in the classic style where you ride a pumpkin coach.

Also, an Aladdin coaster. It would use the same technology used in Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey but instead of benches you would ride magic carpets.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

I've always wanted a fantasia ride! My idea was an omnimover that u sort of lie down on and you look up at large screens surrounded by matching set pieces. Throw in some animatronics too and it would be an awesome and relaxing attraction. Of course it would need a giant animatronic chernabog finale!
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Cool ideas, but what sort of proof is there of a third gate? As much as I would LOVE one, is it really realistic?

These are great ideas!
    Quote Originally Posted by thewantedhero View Post
    Cool ideas, but what sort of proof is there of a third gate? As much as I would LOVE one, is it really realistic?
    I very much hope for a third gate. Its possible but most people don't think its feasible because the park won't be within walking distance of the others.
    ~things are looking mighty satisfactual~

Quote Originally Posted by thewantedhero View Post
    A 3rd gate has been projected by Disney for a long time, I wanna say at least 8 years. I'm pretty sure Bob Iger has even spoken of it, not made an actual official announcement, but has directly mentioned it. I noticed you're new to MiceChat, aloha The more you read this and many other Disney focused sites, the more you'll come across potential plans, etc for the 3rd gate.

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I like a lot of your ride ideas Mondo. The Fantasia ride has huge potential if done in a similar to the Ratatouille ride or Transformers where not only do you see the music, but you ride it as well. That would blow Walt's mind. :P

I would also add a Cinderella dark ride done in the classic style where you ride a pumpkin coach.

Also, an Aladdin coaster. It would use the same technology used in Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey but instead of benches you would ride magic carpets.
    Thanks toonaspie! And I agree; I've always felt Fantasia would make for a truly incredible attraction, done right of course.

I have an idea for an Aladdin ride along the lines of Soarin' (but perhaps 3D) where the riders fly over Aggrabah, the dessert, etc. But really I'm all about old school Disney classics, and those are the films and stories I personally really, really want to see come to life in the parks

I really wish they'd build a 3rd gate before I actually have a mortgage or the equivalent of a mortgage in professional/grad school debt. Financially, Disney has way too many incentives for DCA to hit Disneyland 1999 level crowds before they break ground on a 3rd gate. DCA's better layout could mean it's possible they'll surpass Epcot's attendance in the next decade or two. (How Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios currently beat DCA with their fewer attractions, longer queues, fewer Meet and Greets, horrendous Florida weather, and worse theming remains a mystery. You could convincingly pin it on international tourists who don't appreciate the difference between Indiana Jones and Dinosaur, WDW's Big Thunder and Radiator Springs Racers, Monsters Inc. at DCA and Pooh at WDW, or Maelstrom and DL Pirates of the Caribbean.)

I want the 3rd gate to pretty much do what Epcot's World Showcase couldn't do. I'd love an Incan palace water flume with elements from the Emperor's New Groove. A Dia de Los Muertos dark ride that would be the 21st century's Haunted Mansion in terms of creating a legacy and extremely high expectations for dark rides.(If they do decide t put it in DCA I'm crossing my fingers they don't pull a Pressler/Eisner and cheap out on it.) Lion King finally gets the presence it serves in the Africa section with an E-ticket or two. Once quad-copter technology and UAVs get sorted out, a decent capacity Up-themed balloon attraction would take you over the South American section.(The quad-copters would do most of the heavy lifting but clever Imagineers could create an illusion that the hot air/helium balloons are functional. The Australian section would get a cute Small World-esque flume ride themed as the journeying by canoe with the new Pacific Islander princess, Moana, across the many islands in her kingdom.(I can't remember if Disney or Pixar is doing this movie.) While not deserving an attraction, Imagineers would insert several nods to "The Rescuers Down Under" in theming throughout the land since it probably wins the award for "Best Disney movie set in/about Australia.) T

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Sleepy Hollow dark ride[/B] - a cool retelling of fun 40's animated short with exciting last scenes of the Headless Horseman chasing after you and a climax using a cool effect of the flaming jack-o-lantern being thrown at you

Jungle Book ride - a fun outdoor ride with a lush forest and scenes including each of the characters and classic songs like "The Bear Necessities" and "Wanna Be Like You"

Mickey and the Beanstalk dark ride - a simple dark ride recounting this seemingly forgotten story

Mary Poppins ride - this could be a much grander scope ride, recreating famous scenes from the film ("Spoonful of Sugar," laughing on the ceiling, Penguins, carousel horses, "Let's Go Fly a Kite," etc)

101 Dalmatians dark ride - another dark ride retelling the film with the "Cruella DeVil" song, etc.

Fantasia ride - another grand scale attraction with big, sweeping music taking you through the most beloved scenes from this classic including Toccata and Fugue, The Nutcracker Suite, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, The Rite of Spring, The Pastoral Symphony, Dance of the Hours, and Night on Bald Mountain. They could use whatever new tech is available to really make this ride truly grand and beautiful.
    I like the rides. What sort of 'land' are you thinking these would fit into?

Quote Originally Posted by SSG View Post
    I like the rides. What sort of 'land' are you thinking these would fit into?
    My thought/assumption has always been that the 3rd gate would have separate lands themed for Star Wars and Marvel, then a few other lands...what the themes would be of some of them I don't know. In my scenario, and for simplicity's sake I would...

1) give Star Wars a huge chunk and style it out in a major way,

2) a Marvel "city" with sections dedicated to the most popular characters,

3) and then a "Story Land Adventure" dedicated to the 6 rides I mentioned and probably one or two more (one I'll list below in a separate post). The name for this area is a little weak, but I'll leave up a creative, inviting name to someone more apt at that kind of thing than me.

4) I suppose Disney could create another land to predominantly attract really young children in the way that Toontown and "it's a bugs land" do,

5) and/or (as much of Star Wars and Marvel has been considered male-centric by some), they could create a somewhat female/young female targeted area with Tinkerbell and the pixies, moving that element from Disneyland to this new park and expanding it.

They could very well have have lands that blend Disney, Pixar, and Marvel characters/stories if they wanted more of a mix, though I think it's pretty obvious/makes the most sense to keep everything Star Wars together in its own area.

What are your thoughts SSG and others?

I forgot to mention in the original post one of my other ideas for a ride:

Sleeping Beauty dark ride - this one would be MUCH grander and longer in scale than the traditional dark ride. It would be a little less a recount of the original film, and a little more focus on Prince Phillip versus Maleficent. There'd be ride scenes depicting when she captures him, holds him captive in her dungeon, her and the goblins celebrating, the fairies helping him escape, him chasing after her as she heads to King Stefan's Castle, and fighting through the giant weeds/thorns. Phillip confronting Maleficent as the dragon would be the big, elaborate climax scene with a HUGE dragon and lots of cool artistry and effects really making it incredible (the amazing thing that everyone talks about this ride). Then the last scenes would be him kissing Aurora awake, and finally them dancing on the ballroom floor with her dress constantly changing pink/blue with "Once Upon a Dream" playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    My thought/assumption has always been that the 3rd gate would have separate lands themed for Star Wars and Marvel, then a few other lands...what the themes would be of some of them I don't know. In my scenario, and for simplicity's sake I would...
    Assuming TL also becomes a Star Wars themed land they could connect it with the 3rd Gate's Star Wars themed land with a themed transport system available only to those possessing park hoppers. They could call it the Tatooine Express.

Quote Originally Posted by sheetz View Post
    Assuming TL also becomes a Star Wars themed land they could connect it with the 3rd Gate's Star Wars themed land with a themed transport system available only to those possessing park hoppers. They could call it the Tatooine Express.
    Right on, that's a cool idea.
    My concern though with that would be it's just like at Universal Orlando connecting the two Harry Potter parts of the different parts. Some would even just say it's a blatant rip off (and make a big fuss about it, which in the end really doesn't matter). Also, and this is just me personally, I think doing that would put too much emphasis on Star Wars: figuratively and literally it would be the thing connecting the original Disney park with the newest. I'd rather have an old school Disney themed transportation system/vehicle connect the parks. Could be a simple expansion of the Monorail, or like a Mickey and friends themed peoplemover or omni-mover system. But again, that's simply my style/preference.
    Your idea is still really clever and cool!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast