Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Alice in Wonderland is now open!

This looks truly beautiful, great enhancements all around - but as above, I do miss the crowd and little, isolated 'Hooray!' as had a lot of charm and a great callback to the film I overlooked being in the attraction for many years. Hope it might get turned back on or re-edited into the audio mix....
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

The only thing that saddens me about this, is that FL dark rides might not be walk-ons anymore at rope drop! But wow, this looks wonderful and I'm excited to see it in person, in a few years. Any word on wait times for Alice this morning?

• formerly very helpful

Mind you, I haven't ridden it yet, but my first impressions from watching the videos are all positive. I normally aren't in favor of videos vs. animatronics, but in this case they work. They don't seem to overwhelm the animatronics, or detract from them. The outside portion still sports a fantastic view. Honestly, from the on-ride point of view, I can't tell the difference between this and the original look. I look forward to my chance to ride.

• Substitute Princess

The parkjust opened about ten minutes ago, so the line's only about four minutes right now (according to Mousewait).

I didn't realize Mousewait was free! Just downloaded it and now it says 45 minutes, longer than PP by 5 minutes.

• Minion

I was there yesterday and rode in the evening. I'm glad I didn't see anything about it before I rode it because it was continuously surprising, and when's the last time that has happened on an attraction, particularly one that's simply a refurb? The extra motion from the projections livens up the often static nature of dark rides and the close proximity of everything really puts you into the action. I tried to ride it again later in the evening after the fireworks but it had closed for the night, though the vehicles were continuously cycling.

It was so good I can't imagine not renewing my pass next year simply because I can't wait to see what's done with the other rides. After the 1983 update it will become "New" New Fantasyland.

Absolutely jealous that I won't be able to ever see this in person since I'm all the way in Florida. However, it looks absolutely stunning and amazing. I can't imagine what it looks like in person.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    Absolutely jealous that I won't be able to ever see this in person since I'm all the way in Florida. However, it looks absolutely stunning and amazing. I can't imagine what it looks like in person.
    You can't save and make the trip. Don't say never.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    They apparently only need them in a few spots now that the vine resembles the deck of a Nimitz class Aircraft Carrier. The interior additions/modifications are pretty darn nice.
    I don't know how they got away with that, but I'm glad!! Love the little side of the track platform spirals, such a fun touch. This is my favorite DL dark ride so this news greatly excites and pleases me Well done Imagineers. You've outdone yourselves.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    I don't know how they got away with that, but I'm glad!! Love the little side of the track platform spirals, such a fun touch. This is my favorite DL dark ride so this news greatly excites and pleases me Well done Imagineers. You've outdone yourselves.
    They didn't get away with anything. It only needed it on that side because that's the side of the vehicle you exit on, so that's the only side needing to walk on. The vine extends under itself a little bit meaning railing isn't needed in that spot, and further down it's the same until it gets to a minimum height above the ground where railing isn't needed.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Just rode Alice yesterday and I'm surprised that no one mentioned the new fading Cheshire Cat effect in the Tulgey Wood! By far the best effect I've seen on that ride! That being said, some of the projections does Alice justice such as the fluttering bread-and-butterflies/Rocking Horsefly in the garden, the splashing red paint on the hedges, and the flying cards behind the Queen and among other subtle changes. Some projections, though, like the cards pointing their spears at you are not as impressive to me in my opinion. I miss how the caterpillars push through the doors of cards right before heading outside!

As for the vine portion, the change is purely to evacuate guests when the ride is down and the old skinnier vine, though it is the best 'version' in my opinion, doesn't allow any evacuation at all and this current one is the best option. However, when I did ride the ride yesterday, I did feel that the outside portion seemed a bit cluttered. I don't know if any one else agrees. But I think in the future WDI will think of better ways to change the outside.

In the end, this refurbishment is just wonderful and I can't wait for the others to be revamped as well!
    Last edited by eointremont; 07-04-2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Clarification

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    They didn't get away with anything. It only needed it on that side because that's the side of the vehicle you exit on, so that's the only side needing to walk on. The vine extends under itself a little bit meaning railing isn't needed in that spot, and further down it's the same until it gets to a minimum height above the ground where railing isn't needed.
    I see. I thought the whole point of the fall protection was for the workers who would have to examine the tracks or clean off debris. I mean isn't that the point of the fall protection elsewhere in the park? And the reason we had the hideous tarps and railing for so long?

Facebook me!

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    I see. I thought the whole point of the fall protection was for the workers who would have to examine the tracks or clean off debris. I mean isn't that the point of the fall protection elsewhere in the park? And the reason we had the hideous tarps and railing for so long?
    You can easily stand on one side with a broom and clean the other side. The trackway is in the center, easily inspected from one side.

Clearly they do not need it on both sides.

Look at fall protection elsewhere in the park, it was put only on the side of areas where the fall could occur. Given where they put the railings, it seems pretty clear that Cast Members will be given strict instructions to remain only on the inward side of the track, where the railings are and where the vehicle doors are.

The tarps and railings were never meant to be indicative of what the final product would look like. They were put up hastily to just get the job done. It was quick and dirty. This is the much more tailored, minimal final solution that meets all the requirements.
    Last edited by mycroft16; 07-05-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    You can easily stand on one side with a broom and clean the other side. The trackway is in the center, easily inspected from one side.

Clearly they do not need it on both sides.

Look at fall protection elsewhere in the park, it was put only on the side of areas where the fall could occur. Given where they put the railings, it seems pretty clear that Cast Members will be given strict instructions to remain only on the inward side of the track, where the railings are and where the vehicle doors are.

The tarps and railings were never meant to be indicative of what the final product would look like. They were put up hastily to just get the job done. It was quick and dirty. This is the much more tailored, minimal final solution that meets all the requirements.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the info Mycroft! I think most peoples fears, given the appearance of the tarps, was that we'd have some monstrosity up there taking away the feeling of riding in open air surroundings. Glad that it worked out differently.

Facebook me!

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Is it official that they will be updating the other Fantasyland dark rides in this same manner, or is that just a MiceAge claim? I've read it on here, but didn't know if there had been any direct word from Disney.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast