Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• The doctor is in

Re: Moving Up As A Disneyland CM

Maybe try to transfer to another area? Instead of working as a ride operator, or support, try and get a job in another department or doing something else. That might make a world of difference.

I used to love the Air Force but it got to a point where I literally woke up dreading every single day I had to go on base. I left and started school and am now working at Starbucks and I'm a lot happier. I have thought about going back and trying to work as a civilian on base to see if I like it better, but I figure why rock the boat with what I have going now. If I am still at Starbucks after I'm done with school I might try and become a shift lead and then maybe transfer to work at corporate to do something with my graphic design degree.
    The point is, like others have said, not every job is ideal or enjoyable all the time. You are going to be tired and there are situations where you will not be doing what you want to do right off the bat. It takes time and a lot of work to move forward, but it's worth it in the end if that's what you want. If you want to advance with Disney I would encourage you to stick it out and try and see if there is something else in the parks you can do before deciding to leave altogether.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Where do I sign up for this 40 hr work week thing?
    Not hard to find...lol...Unless a company is going to pay me time and a half, they wont get my services over 40 per week.....

Quote Originally Posted by Walt's Ghost View Post
    Thank you everyone, and here's just info to clarify.

I'm 24 and I graduated already with a degree in Computer Science.

I understand nothing is "easy," but I feel like I should be working on honing my craft, so to speak, rather than working an entry-level job. I mean, they do hire from within, but is it worth staying there at the bottom instead of getting other jobs that can help me apply to Disneyland in the future in a position I want?
    If I was 24 with recent degree in computer science I'd be applying for entry level programming jobs, and go wherever the best opportunity came up. You might not want to code your whole life, but pay your dues now and get experience as well as hone your craft, as you put it, and your chances of making a good living your whole life are greatly increased. And having the security of a very marketable skill to fall back on makes taking other career chances or risks a lot easier.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Not hard to find...lol...Unless a company is going to pay me time and a half, they wont get my services over 40 per week.....
    I don't know anybody who does 40 and done in my line of work... and we don't get paid OT. If I was paid hourly, I'd be rich.

I don't know anybody who does 40 and done in my line of work... and we don't get paid OT. If I was paid hourly, I'd be rich.
    In my industry only management works more then 40 hours and salary, everyone else is hourly. I am not willing to give my life to a company, so I stick with non-management jobs.

Just know that if you decide to leave the program and still want to work for Disney in the future, it won't look good and you may be a restricted rehire. The chances of them hiring you after you left over someone who didn't is very slim. I would personally stick it out if you really want to work for the company.

• Certified DL Addict

Well that's your choice to work a salary job in an industry that has longer work weeks. The point of my original comment is chances are the OP is working 40 or less hours a week in DCP and therefore he'd have to get use to working a full week and being tired on his days off.

If you're interested in computer programming you should definitely be trying to get into the Disney Professional Internship Program. They have a Technology/Digital division of that program that would probably lie more within your degree plan and would be more beneficial. Here's the website, I'd look into that. Basic level park jobs aren't really ever going to get you in the door for computer programming jobs.
    Disney Professional Internships Home | Jobs and Careers
    2014 Gumball Rally Team- Skyway Sweethearts
    *~Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder~*

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by the702senior09 View Post
    Well that's your choice to work a salary job in an industry that has longer work weeks. The point of my original comment is chances are the OP is working 40 or less hours a week in DCP and therefore he'd have to get use to working a full week and being tired on his days off.
    I would say with only working 40 per week, that's a LOT of free time after work to get stuff done, take classes, work a side job, etc. He could get a computer-related job for experience and make DLR his part-time job. Until I was 22, I always had two jobs an any one time. My career job, and a nights and weekend job in my interest/hobby area.

If you're interested in computer programming you should definitely be trying to get into the Disney Professional Internship Program. They have a Technology/Digital division of that program that would probably lie more within your degree plan and would be more beneficial. Here's the website, I'd look into that. Basic level park jobs aren't really ever going to get you in the door for computer programming jobs.
    Disney Professional Internships Home | Jobs and Careers
    Excellent recommendation.

•   
    • Minion

If you like the company and want to work there why would you leave? Find out how to get into your field of work by working with your manager. If they are unable to provide a career path ask for someone who will. It's worked for me at my company and I imagine Disney is the same. Don't let the daily grind of a job allow you to lose focus on your goals.

IMHO, if you want to pursue your career in CS, I would leave TWDC for now and apply for an entry-level CS position somewhere else. After gaining some experience, I would return to the TWDC and apply if that's where you want to end up.

The difficult part about moving up within the company with your degree is that you won't be gaining any relevant experience with respect to a CS position with the company unless you are getting that somewhere else in your free time. From your current position, the only path I see is trainer, lead, then emerging leaders.

However, if you really wanted to move up within the company from your current position, I would say your best bets would be either as Maintenance Sound Mechanic (Deals with ride control and 0-24V electronics; hourly) or Sustaining Engineering as a Controls Engineer. I mentioned these two positions because you may be able to network with some of these guys at your attraction.

If you are looking for more of a programming position, it's going to be very difficult to move up into those positions.. possible I suppose but very difficult unless you have some relevant work experience.

In any case, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Walt's Ghost View Post
    ...I'm 24 and I graduated already with a degree in Computer Science...
    It's good to hear you already graduated.

I took my niece (sophomore, just about to start a college program at DLR) and her friend (just about to finish a similar program) on a VIP tour. We were told by our guide than quite a few CMs in the college program drop out of college to continue working at Disney, even though they must "start over" with no seniority.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
    It's good to hear you already graduated.

I took my niece (sophomore, just about to start a college program at DLR) and her friend (just about to finish a similar program) on a VIP tour. We were told by our guide than quite a few CMs in the college program drop out of college to continue working at Disney, even though they must "start over" with no seniority.
    Those who dropped out probably found college wasn't a good mix for them, and decided to just stay in the workforce. Lots of people start college only to realize its not something suited to them, or leave for financial reasons.

• Disneyland Dreamer

What do you want to be when you grow up? If you know that, you can start putting together a plan to get to it. Hard to start a journey if you don't know what your destination is or in which direction you need to start moving towards.

• Former Churro Jockey

I can tell you what it used to be like when I worked in Foods. You needed to have a current job just so you can find out right away about job openings (that was before applying online was a thing, so don't know how true that is anymore), and it was impossible to move up in your current division, but you could move up pretty rapidly by transferring. For example, there was a girl who worked in my department (ODV). She transferred to Pizza Port for the grand opening in 1998 as a lead, then a year later transferred back to ODV as a scheduler, then a year later transferrred over to some department at TDA. So she went from regular CM to working for TDA in two years. So f your dream is to work at Disney, my best advice would be to get hired in as a regular CM no matter what department and keep an eye out for job openings in any other departments that will allow you to move up.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Singing Drinker

From polling CM friends, they're pretty split. The closest to consensus is that if you're trying to move outside your *division* to a *non-entry position* (i.e., parks Ride Operator to Disney Interactive coder etc.) it would likely benefit you to come to the table with recent job experience in your new field over being able to show current employment at DCA in ride operations. Beyond that, it's the "everyone has an opinion" moment.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast