Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

should we skip disney on the 4th?

I didnt realize it was one of the busiest days of the year. We just got into town and are staying at the DLH fri/sat nights (we are in pasadena right now visiting my relatives). We have premium annual passes and will be here for two more weeks staying at my in-laws so we will be able to go plenty of times.

I dislike waiting more than 15 minutes for most rides and we usually leave at 11am or noon when it starts to get crowded.

should we skip disneyland?

should we go to california adventure?

should we go first thing inthe morning and check in at 3 as a break?

should we just check into the hotel and hang out in the pool?

pasadena parades?

• Substitute Princess

Re: should we skip disney on the 4th?

If you hate crowds, and anything more than a fifteen minute, you'll be frustrated even if you don't go on the fourth. The fifth will still be plenty crowded. You'll probably be better off on the 7th or anything after that! By the 7th, the 4th of July crowds are completely gone.

• #bringevilback

Since you have an AP I would go first thing. You should have at least an hour or so of low wait times and not so hot weather, whichever park you start with. From there you can check in (or if you get there early enough you can check in and take advantage of EMH) and spend the rest of the day poolside or however you'd like...grab a FP, go back to the pool then enter the park for that ride, whatever.
    Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse

From what you describe about your line tolerance, you might be able to have fun til about 11am. Then, probably pooltime. DL or DCA, either way it'll be more crowded than your threshold before noon in all likelihood.

Don't go to Disneyland if you can't handle a line that's longer than 15 minutes. Holidays are absolutely insane so it's going to be make your low tolerance level explode.

• The doctor is in

Like others have said, if you aren't a fan of crowds and long lines then you should skip the 4th. Any holiday is busy.

I went over Thanksgiving in 2008 and walking through Tomorrowland was like being packed in a sardine can.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Banned User

LOL, oh man, are you guys going to hate this.

I went on the 5th and it was a ghost town. From 8am to noon the DL park index was about 20/100 and DCA was around 34/100. After noon it always spikes up but I kept checking Mousewait during my day and never saw the index go over 60 at either park.

Between 8am-12 noon myself and my friends went on 11 attractions, all of them a 5 min wait with the exception of Splash Mtn. ( 30 min wait. ) This has been the ONLY trip I've been to DL in about 10 years where the line for the Matterhorn began up in the shade of the chalet instead of wrapping around the mountain. We were on the bobsleds in FIVE MINUTES. I have NEVER recalled that to happen, EVER.

Even the website of Disneyland Crowd Forecast Calendar | Is It Packed? - Real-Time Crowd Tracking - IsItPacked.com claimed last Thursday that the 4th, 5th and 6th would be in the red, aka "FORGET ABOUT IT" but as you can see now ( by clicking on that link ), they stepped it back into the blue as "HEY, IT'S ALRIGHT."

The Blue Bayou was 60% empty at 11:30am. Come on, when do you EVER see that?

I'm so sorry if you didn't go but wow, this was the weekend to be there. About 4pm my group and I think we found out the reason. We stopped into the bar at the Grand Californian and everyone was glued to the World Cup game on the TV. They used to say Superbowl weekend is the time to go ( no longer true ) but I guess going during World Cup is the new Superbowl.

You heard it here first, mark that down on your calendar for next year.

• SORCERER

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    LOL, oh man, are you guys going to hate this.

I went on the 5th and it was a ghost town. From 8am to noon the DL park index was about 20/100 and DCA was around 34/100. After noon it always spikes up but I kept checking Mousewait during my day and never saw the index go over 60 at either park.

Between 8am-12 noon myself and my friends went on 11 attractions, all of them a 5 min wait with the exception of Splash Mtn. ( 30 min wait. ) This has been the ONLY trip I've been to DL in about 10 years where the line for the Matterhorn began up in the shade of the chalet instead of wrapping around the mountain. We were on the bobsleds in FIVE MINUTES. I have NEVER recalled that to happen, EVER.

Even the website of Disneyland Crowd Forecast Calendar | Is It Packed? - Real-Time Crowd Tracking - IsItPacked.com claimed last Thursday that the 4th, 5th and 6th would be in the red, aka "FORGET ABOUT IT" but as you can see now ( by clicking on that link ), they stepped it back into the blue as "HEY, IT'S ALRIGHT."

The Blue Bayou was 60% empty at 11:30am. Come on, when do you EVER see that?

I'm so sorry if you didn't go but wow, this was the weekend to be there. About 4pm my group and I think we found out the reason. We stopped into the bar at the Grand Californian and everyone was glued to the World Cup game on the TV. They used to say Superbowl weekend is the time to go ( no longer true ) but I guess going during World Cup is the new Superbowl.

You heard it here first, mark that down on your calendar for next year.
    Haha to be fair Every annual pass was blocked out except Premium (which never is in the first place). And most people we're prob out late at disney the day before and slept in, jet lag most likely sweep in as the prob spent the whole day at disney before

To be perfectly honest the best time to goto Disneyland is when the park opens! Every time I go at 8am I hit every attraction I want with only a 5 min wait or less.

Glad you we're able to hit so many rides

• Minion

first observation, I support with the experience that the the opening to noon ghost town attendance really happens, especially around ROA. I believe that this happens because there is little for young children to do around ROA and that a higher % of first ride traditions happen in the other lands then ROA.

Second observation is that families passing on a three day July weekend may have ramifications for Halloween and Christmas

third observation is that the 4th of July has many small town celebrations so perhaps folks don't travel long distances.

• Minion

Or something about the price increase from $92 to $96 has influenced less people to pay the one-day ticket price. Or it's a natural correction from the increased attendance after Cars Land opened. We'll see if the pattern continues.
    Last edited by bigcatrik; 07-06-2014 at 06:49 PM.

We skipped the 4th and went on the 5th and 6th. It was definitely not very crowded and we ended up getting on a ton of rides. We went on 5 rides during just the magic morning period on saturday (disneyland).

Also the orange county fair opens the 10th. Last year it made disneyland a ghost town too so Im hoping it will be good this coming weekend too.

We were there on the 4th and the 5th. I expected horrible crowds and was very happily wrong. The longest wait time that I saw in Disneyland was 45 minutes for Indy. It was a great weekend to visit I guess.

• Rock Star Minion

Once everyone has read this thread, expect big crowds next year.

(Unless they read this post...)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by txdisney View Post
    I didnt realize it was one of the busiest days of the year.
    With that statement, I am going to just assume you are a new arrival to this country and don't have a point of reference for what Independence Day is about or what people do on that weekend. Especially when July 4th falls on a Friday and makes an easy 3 day weekend.

That said, as with almost all outdoor entertainment venues on Independence Day, Disneyland was historically very busy on July 4th from the 1950's into the 2000's. But over the past decade a concept called the Annual Pass Payment Plan took over the operation of the Disneyland Resort, and it turned all those established crowd patterns on their ear.

Now the busiest days of the year are holidays weekends when the most levels of APs are unblocked (October/November, February-May, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Presidents Day, etc.), or weekdays before and after seasonal AP blockouts kick in or are lifted (Mid June, Late August, Mid December, Early January).

July 4th had a quadruple blockout of almost all AP levels, plus Cast Members/Disney Employee blockouts. The result is that the July 4th weekend is now the exact opposite of what every American would assume, and it's now the slowest weekend of the summer if not one of the slowest weekends of the entire year barring heavy rain in January.

Any guidebook or online resource, like the comically inaccurate Mouseaddict wait time app available on this website, is usually out of touch with this new reality.

It's the opposite of what most Americans would assume for July 4th. But if you are new to this country, you'll want to realize that it's one of our most important holidays and all beaches, campgrounds, state parks, city parks, fairs, civic events, and amusement parks will typically be extremely busy that weekend.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbee View Post
    We were there on the 4th and the 5th. I expected horrible crowds and was very happily wrong. The longest wait time that I saw in Disneyland was 45 minutes for Indy. It was a great weekend to visit I guess.
    I was there on the 4th as well, I showed up around 9 PM. It was nice!

Around closing the Indy CM's were out front saying that it was a walk on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast