Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• The one, the only...

Re: DCA's 5th Anniversary, a few thoughts and observations

Darkbeer, you did a great and accurate job describing the present and past state of DCA. I think DCA might one day really be a "Disney" class park with Lasseter at the helm.

I do have one disagreement with you. You said that the queue for Sourin' is better at WDW. I have to disagree. I was at WDW in December and actually found that, if you can believe it, they spent LESS money on that pre-show. WDW's queue consists of colored plain walls which feature three lighted panels of western scenes. That is it. At least, at DCA there are two walls filled with historic photos of aviation pioneers. I was really disappointed by Orlando's pre-show.

Aviation is such a romantic topic. I can think of so many wonderful ideas for a fantastic pre-show. Sadly, the same top management philosophy that brought us DCA approved WDW's version. Sometimes, less is LESS.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Another way to bash DCA... sad in my opinion guys...Why not stop bashing, since it wont change the park, and try to help fix the problem

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Launch sequence engaged

While I normally cringe at sometimes lavish criticisms of DCA which may not be based entirely on fact (We can't say that only AP's watched Aladdin repeatedly), this was actually a great post.

Plus, positives were given with a rethinking of the Hollywood Pictures Backlot and a few other gems in the park. Also, there was new information in the "analysis" as well. I never knew what was slated for the Palace of Fine Arts, and a revolving stage show with AA's ala The Carousel of Progress would be awesome. Plus, I never knew the San Francisco "facade street" was slated to have artisan stores! That just shows you the lack of culture given to DCA.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• Circle of Ancients

Actually ... I started the DCALA and I think Darkbeer is being rather objective. I haven't read anything that has come off as 'opinion' ... yet.

• Rally Time!

thanks DB! a well-written and informative read. as one reply pointed out you missed the BPB (i know you don't enjoy that, but a lot of us do!), and also missed really the best part of DCA - the MSEP!

personally, i enjoy DCA for what it is and what is there, (not worry about for what it isn't). and for every 3-day trip, we spend a half-day at DCA, have fun, then go back to Disneyland.
    a friend of Walt.

Quote Originally Posted by ZedIzDead
    It is what it is, just because it's below your expecations does not mean it's below mine. I too would like to see it improve. And as time goes on it will. But it's not as bad as you and your friends make it out to be. But whatever, I'm not going to argue over it. But as much as you guys try, you will NEVER be able to convince me and others who like the place that it sucks.
    You can't understand how lame the park is until you visit a truly fine Disney park such as Tokyo DisneySea.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Now that's not a very nice thing to say.

DISCLAIMER: Radiobarry wrote these words, but I edited out some words to change the meaning of it. Seemed the thing to do at the time. I'll let it stand so everyone will know what a jerk I am.
    I think he meant "delusional."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

And don't you think it will be more of a "wake" than an "anniversary?"

• Banned User

Yawn. All of Darkbeer's DCA bashing threads are always so long. I mean really, how much can you say about DCA without coming across the good parts about it?

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

You are right, I missed talking about the "entertainment" otherwise known as Parades. I mentioned the route, but since I was mentally walking thru the park, I missed them.

The first attempt at Street Entertainment was Eureka, a parade that was different, but unique. I still like listening to the music on occasion, and watched it a few times, though not every time I visited.

The return of the Main Street Electrical Parade was a serious marketing attempt to drive folks to DCA in 2001, and was seen as an "easy fix", though it did make a LOT of folks upset, especially those who bought the light bulbs from the last year at Disneyland.

Block Party Bash started in May, and is seen by many folks as a "kids" parade, with lots of energy. Not too many people see any repeatability in it, and many folks have been seen walking away from the "event" after a few minutes, especially adults. Part of DCA problems is the fact that there isn't much for the "entire" family to enjoy at the same time, and IMHO Block Party Bash adds to it. Thank Goodness those ugly large Red Traffic Cones were removed from the Mickey & Friends Tram area, and the Main Entry Plaza advertising the roaming entertainment.

And thank goodness I forgot to Mention the LARGE Chicken Head from late 2005, that was SCARY!!!!
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Geez this is beyond old and at this point. Whenever I see a post by DB that has anything to do about DCA I already know what it is going to say. If you think there is any sliver of objectivity in his posts concerning DCA you must have not been paying attention for the last few years.

DCA is not the best park, but it is FAR from the worst. I think there are many better things to put this amount of effort into.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDude
    Geez this is beyond old and at this point. Whenever I see a post by DB that has anything to do about DCA I already know what it is going to say. If you think there is any sliver of objectivity in his posts concerning DCA you must have not been paying attention for the last few years.

DCA is not the best park, but it is FAR from the worst. I think there are many better things to put this amount of effort into.
    (This isn't directed towards you, specifically SoCalDude, but rather all of those who seemed to speak against Darkbeer without reading his post in this thread.)

...Not sure you read Darkbeers post. Sure he mixes in some of his personal feelings to the mix, but his post was clearly labeled as "a few thoughts and observations." And since this is a Darkbeer DCA thread, some personal feelings towards DCA are bound to come out.

Nevertheless, you among other DCA Lovers fail to acknowledge that Darkbeer has really dropped the majority of his issues with the park and presented a fairly objective review of the past 5 years of DCA. Even sir clinksalot noted this and he started the DCA Lovers Alliance.

I really think that Darkbeers recount of the past 5 years for DCA is solid and isn't too judgemental and negative like many of you are saying and I think if you guys actually read the thread and paid attention to what he said, then you would likely agree. Problem is that many of you are too jaded by DCA discussions despite your supposed enthusiasm for the park and for its well-being.

I also find it funny that all of you tell Darkbeer to stop bashing the park, but you continue to bash his opinions. Maybe if you stopped giving his criticisms so much attention he'd slowly stop focusing on them. Kill the response and he won't try to get one from you anymore.

Anyways,
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin Message
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Darkbeer again.
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 02-08-2006 at 12:45 AM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

edit - not even worth it.

but FYI - I read each word in each post.
    Last edited by SoCal; 02-08-2006 at 01:25 AM.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDude
    Yes, I read each and every word of his posts, jsut as I read each and every word of his numerous anti-DCA posts (and numerous they are). And we ALL know how DB feels about DCA.

I am just getting soooo tired of these types of posts from HIM. He takes every chance he gets to throw some sort of dart in the direction of DCA.. sorry but it gets old. If he was anybody else you would get the "stop beating a dead horse" comments thrown in. But since it is DB we instead get the "great post" comments when it is just the same junk just rolled up in a not-so-different package. I never understood the type of person who when they do not like something they feel the need to try to convinve others that the item they like is bad, and that is exaclty what DB does and has been doing.

I am not the biggest fan of DCA, in fact if you pout me on any side I would prob be on the "I do not care for it" team. So do not lump me into some crazy DCA lovers group and discount my words because of what you think I may or not be.
    Personally, I would give positive rep and praise to any post by any person if it deserves it. Likewise, I would disagree with Darkbeer (and most likely have in the past) or anybody else for that matter, if I felt his post was unfair or incorrect.

Again, I don't want to single anyone out as I feel there is a chunk of this community who somewhat has it out for Darkbeer and anybody else who opposes their own personal feelings, when it comes to DCA. MiceChat really has a strong divide regarding DCA (and a few in-betweeners as well) and thats great, because we have a variety of different viewpoints to explore, but I feel that the people defending DCA really have not given solid arguments that truly makes an anti-DCAer re-think their opinions or at least give more credit to the park.

I think its important to also acknowledge that its not that Darkbeer is trying to brainwash us all into believing his viewpoints on DCA, but since he's one of the few that actually researches the park's history, triumphs, and failures and actually presents it all to us (see: "An Interesting Look Back..." thread, among others).

To single you out, SoCalDude, I respect your opinion and I think its fair for you to be tired of Darkbeer's posts and threads seeing as how you interpret his motives, but I think if you're truly sick of them and dont want to see them anymore you'd stop reading his threads and just ignore them. But like you admitted, you read every word of them. If you truly weren't interested in his viewpoints anymore, you'd just comletely pass over any of his threads and click on the next one instead of his. And this goes to the rest of the anti-Darkbeers out there.

And to clear up my standpoint, I'm not trying to defend Darkbeer or suck up to him. I just think its irrational to bash him because he's stating his opinions. This is a public forum and its expected to get a wide variety of opinions. Is it a crime if one of those opinions is more vocal than the others?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DLResident
    Exactly. Have you read that one thread about "An Interesting Look Back on the Last 4 Years?" It's really ridiculous. All he basically says over and over again is "Let me give you some more evidence on how much I hate DCA." It really gets annoying when he re-posts past posts about his bashings. We get it, Darkbeer! You hate California Adventure. Quit trying to prove it to everyone.
    He doesn't try to prove DCA is a bad park he HAS proved it. And it is quite hilarious none of you have proven otherwise. He gives you fact after fact after fact and you totally brush it aside yet you give no argument helping prove you're own side explaining why DCA is a huge success in you're opinion.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast