Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: DCA's 5th Anniversary, a few thoughts and observations

I am on a diet or I would be eating red vines soda pop and choclate bars while watching this battle of the park good verses evil LOL~. You guys are a riot. Darkbeer, he is a nice guy, I do not agree with his coments on the park, as most of you know i love dca, but I love to see all your opinions, and I love red licorice Now play nice LOL!

• What have I done?

What! No mention of it at all! Interesting maybe Lasseter has something to do with it? Yeah I didnt think those pics would sell out either. I should be there later today though unsure of the time.

"This guy!"

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

I think it was a bit "tacky" that they didn't give the CM's a pin if they worked today, but instead gave them an opportunity to buy one....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• 6 kids before I'm 30!!!!

Talking Re: DCA's 5th Anniversary, a few thoughts and observations

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    I think it was a bit "tacky" that they didn't give the CM's a pin if they worked today, but instead gave them an opportunity to buy one....
    That sounds like the DCA i used to work for. Hahaha. Wow talk about a battle of the DCA minds. I'm not one to take sides I jsut like to say what I feel. ME, I love DCA why because its not crowded... thats it. plain and simple. To TDA that is what they don't want in a park. Weather you like DCA or not It is just a work in progress. Heres a thought tho.. Disneyland opened with a few rides and opened with some problems but tell me this you think it would still have done great if it had a bigger and better park only a few feet away. DCA will be great...just give it some time.

Darkbeer you still rock.. thanks for the awesome pics and updates. I still owe you a beer.
    We rock the party that rocks the party!
    We are truly a new generation of the Brady Bunch!

Block Party Bash started in May, and is seen by many folks as a "kids" parade, with lots of energy. Not too many people see any repeatability in it, and many folks have been seen walking away from the "event" after a few minutes, especially adults. Part of DCA problems is the fact that there isn't much for the "entire" family to enjoy at the same time, and IMHO Block Party Bash adds to it.
    It seems like its hard for you to give credit where credit is due. this is a great parade and I know just as people who actually do find repeatability in it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    He doesn't try to prove DCA is a bad park he HAS proved it. And it is quite hilarious none of you have proven otherwise. He gives you fact after fact after fact and you totally brush it aside yet you give no argument helping prove you're own side explaining why DCA is a huge success in you're opinion.
    Alright, I'll give it a shot. You ask why DCA is a huge success in my opinion. Here's why: I enjoy the time I spend there. I love the gentle, calming sensation of Soarin' Over California. I love the thrills of Screamin' and ToT. I love the magic of the Animation Bldg. I love the feel of the Grizzly Area. My friends and I always have a blast there. I now stay at the DLR longer and go more often since DCA. THAT'S why DCA is a huge success in my opinion.

Is DCA a huge success in the public opinion? Unquestionably, no. I have no problem admitting that DCA has not attracted the strong attendance it was supposed to. I do believe, though, that public word of mouth is improving. That's another thread, though. But anyways, as one of the DCALA, I don't think the lovers are trying to argue that DCA is a huge public success! We are simply trying to state that we love the park, we enjoy it, and that to US, it IS a success. And I, for one, am SICK of being told that I love an inferior product (because to me, it isn't, and that is a fact), or that there is nothing of value in the park, or that it's people like me who make it possible for Disney to get away with its "lower" standards.

The fact is, whether or not DCA is a good/great/horrible/amazing/sucky theme park CANNOT be proved, no matter how many attendance figures are posted- because that is only going to be opinion. Whether it's a success, sure, but success and good-ness are not the same thing.

(Whew)

I hope that didn't sound mean or anything, because I truly didn't mean it to. I'm just trying to stick up for the DCALA and explain what I see as the reason the Lovers and Haters get into so many arguements.

Alright, flame away...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton
    Disney's Calfornia Adventure is a great park

I could say that a pile of crap is the greatest thing on earth but that doesn't make it ture.
    whats ture?

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Well I may disagree with DarkBeers methods of bashing DCA.. I for one like the park... I dont know why... it's just a fun park!!! I'm not saying it's better then Disneyland for that matter, but it's still a good park... I feel it should be less bashing though, because that wont fix the problems of the park... I think you should try and help fix them, by maybe going to the park and showing you have an interest in helping make the park better! They are already improving it as we speak

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinKing!
    As was stated earlier, WDW que is worse! Maybe "cooler" but not better! I really enjoy the history of Aviation in the DCA que. If it was a quick fix then it was one thing they did right. Block Party Bash I dont understand how anyone can not enjoy it. It is so full of energy and it seems like it was imagineered to get EVERYONES involvement something that Walt would enjoy.

Very informative imaginery walk throught the park. Regardless of your personal feelsings DB I really enjoyed it. I wish it were a real tour, I do like to hear what could have been from the imagineering side. Who knows maybe now those could have been's will be turned into could be's!
    Thanks for pointing this out, PumpkinKing!. I've seen video and photos of the Orlando queue for Soarin' and its entirely lacking. Its more or less just some neon on some painted walls. Theres nothing informative nor imaginative about the Orlando queue, in my opinion. I think the aviation history at DCA is much better.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

That I agree with, that is very lame.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    I only take exception to the use of the term, "fiasco", with regard to the original "Steps in Time".

That show did work until Michael Eisner ordered the newer version, which definitely was a fiasco.
    I agree that the show did work before Eisner insisted on changes. That
    was the beginning of the end of "Steps in Time." The revised version of
    Steps In Time eliminated the most Fantastic presentation of 3 Snow White songs that I have Ever seen. It also had a Beauty and the Beast song that had set dressings and costumes that rivaled ANY number in the Beauty and the Beast Broadway Show! The Four adult singers that were in this show initially were absolutely top notch. The only one thing I would have changed, would be to present the songs in the order that they appeared to the public, and add a song from the 40's and the 50's, with the same stylized approach that was used in the Snow White songs.

Regarding the Hollywood review, no mention of the minimal fountain and two additional Hollywood Gates that were just added.

I'm surprised that you glanced over the shows in the Hollywood central
    stage, as the first casualty of the park, was the group, which is featured on DCA's official album. Then one of the first bits of the added "Cartoonization" of DCA occurred with a character show with Goofy, Mickey, Minnie, etc. That was followed by a comedy group, which oddly enough started in Condor Flats, and then transplanted to Hollywood for a "What's my line" style show. Now of course has some "animators" doing a show.

Also, I disagree that the Animation entrance was difficult to find, It was
    one of the most beautiful, until the recent addition of 4 Marque signs telling about the 4 areas within the building.

"Chance to Shine" was also a show out on the street that was an original well recieved presentation. Don't forget about some of these good thing. (There are too few of them to be forgetting any ONE of them!. tee hee hee)

Also, I do want to add that Hollywood and Dine is missed by myself, it had
    a great variety of food, and the 4 different food windows each had their own theme. However the entire dinning room area sure needed a prettier sit down eating area (but so does Taste Pilots)

• Gay Man

I got a 10:00 call from my husband who was in the area and decided to see what they were doing for DCA's BIG 5!!!! His discription was funny - and very telling.

Absolutely nothing is being done and there are ony a few people here. Not all of the rides are open and the few that are open are all walk-ons. No buttons, no fanfare, no balloons, nada.
    My local mall does more for a birthday than DCA did for the 5th. That tells me more about what the general perception is on DCA than just about anything.

Meanwhile, I've been to MANY DL birthdays that were a HUGE celebration. DCA just isn't quite worth much to Disney - nor to the public- IMHO.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    BRING BACK EUREKA!!!!! I loved that Parade it was so fun.
    I'M WITH YOU ON THAT, BRO!!!!!

(and the outfits that the dancers originally wore in this parade)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

.......appearances by Disney Characters, originally not part of the plan, instead they had their own characters such as DeVine and Three Bags Full, which have gone to Yester-DCA Park)

On the left we have California Screamin', a nice smooth roller coaster, but that is what it is, a roller coaster that you could find at any other park. You go over roof tops and over unlandscaped dirt, and have lots of views of the outside, including the convention center and back stage areas, things you don't find on any other Disney park coaster.

On the left is the Redwood Creek Play Area, the one major attraction that was designed for kids when the park opened. Mainly a place to let kids run off stored energy, nicely themed, but basically stuff you can find at a big city park.

Then we have Taste Pilots Grill, one of the more popular restaurants in the park. The fixin bar for your sandwiches is a favorite of many,

Then back to the Sunshine Plaza area......To finish up, DCA has had a lot of problems, many of which were caused by the way Disney designed the park
    I agree with most everything Darkbeer says, once again. A couple of differences are listed above.

Devine was a great addition to DCA, but 3 bags full made everyone go "what the heck was that" ~ coincidently they same comment made by the majority of guests exiting Superstar Limo and DCA! I had read on one board that devine and 3 bags full were not Disney owned, but hired out . . . does anyone know about that?

Darkbeer, you are WAY too kind about California Screamin' a coaster themed as a coaster in a "DISNEY" park is BEYOND CONTEMPT! And they spent TONS of money for the type of wood they bought just to dress up a steel rollercoaster as a woodie. And the music for this attraction doesn't fit the theme at ALL! Let me just expand that thought and say that the IDEA of Paradise Pier in a Disney park is Beyond Contempt.

On the other hand Redwood Creek Challenge Trail is really a neat area! And "NO", it cannot be found at ANY big city park. Phoenix has nothing like it." But don't be confused by me liking this area, it's NO Tom Sawyer Island and Fort.

As for Taster Pilots Grill. . . . . .BLECHHHHHHH! Yeah, the fix your toppings is good, but the problem isn't the toppings, it's the "bottoms"

One other thought, I do agree that the entry plaza, which is DCA's "Main Street" has problems with the layout and design aspects here. As I've said before DCA is

Disneys
    Universal
    Mountain (Magic)
    Berry (Knott's)

PARK

It's a conglomeration of things that a Disney Park should
    never aspire to be, nor be! It's also a little of Animal Kingdom
    Disney Studios. It is truly a Frankenstein of Theme Parks, with
    little thought to the overall theme.

and as my current avatar shows:

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DLResident

Darkbeer, for someone who has made it no secret that he hates Disney's California Adventure, you sure like to go there a lot. I don't know, if I don't like a place, I usually try to avoid it. I'm not too fond of Innoventions at Disneyland, so I try to avoid that attraction as I know I won't have any fun there. You, on the other hand, say you don't like California Adventure, yet your website shows that you go there on almost all of your visits, so it doesn't make any sense. It's like you're contradicting yourself.

Mods: I can care less if I'm given bad reputation points, it's not like it hurts my feelings.
    Darkbeer does not dislike DCA just because he dislikes it. He dislikes the park because he knows how much potential there is in that park and Disney basically gives us a blank stare when we ask them to improve it. Darkbeer makes these threads because he wants everyone to have similar ideas of the park to spread the word to get Disney to get off their ***** and actually do something about it. He likes Disney very much and it pains not only him but me to see something like DCA occur. He is not only giving his opinion on parks but rides as well. He hates innoventions and HISTA just as much as anyone. He is a protester for horrible quality at Disney and so an I. Why do you think he takes pictures of the park in the first place? He wants to point out the flaws to Disney and entertain the public, and the same goes for Disneyland. He is being flamed because he cares about the park and only wants his voice to be heard.
    Last edited by Disneyfreak; 02-08-2006 at 09:16 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast