Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Re: DCA's 5th Anniversary, a few thoughts and observations

Quote Originally Posted by some_imagination
    Wow. Ok, your FIRST posts were objective. Subsequent ones arent. Give it a rest dude. Yeah, the park is flawed. Is it fun? Yeah! Could it be better/improved/rethought? OF COURSE! Give it a rest. Now I see where all the people are coming from that get sick of you. Wow. Good job on the objectivity of your park tour, but other than that... if you hate the park, quit going?
    I don't believe that Darkbeer has ever said that he hates DCA.

I spend a lot of time with Darkbeer both at the parks and away from the parks.

Does he believe that DCA needs improvement? Yes.
    Does he feel that DCA is a failure from a business standpoint? Yes.
    Does he feel that DCA has an attendance problem? Yes.
    Does he feel that people can go to the DCA and have a good time? Yes.
    Does he go to DCA and enjoy his time there? Yes.

Is he Satan just because he honestly and objectively points out DCA's faults and shortcomings?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Deogge's Mom
    Is he Satan just because he honestly and objectively points out DCA's faults and shortcomings?
    No.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

I tend not to respond to personal comments, because, I think in a large part, it is usually an attempt to sidetrack the conversation from the original post.

But since my girlfriend placed a post here (And FYI, I did not ask her to do it, and didn't know about it until she wrote it), let me make some comments about it...

The "hater" term is something folks have used to try and dismiss any comments that even sounds like it is a criticism of the park. I ignore the comments.

As for the park being a failure, yes, I do think it is a business failure, but Roy Disney has called DCA an "Enormous Failure" in a SEC filing in 2004 in regards to it in a business association.

As for the attendance problem, I don't think it is attendance per say that is the main problem, it is more the fact that the attendance is mainly made up from AP holders, and folks on discounted tickets, such as the "Pay for Disneyland, get DCA for FREE!" tickets, the Advance Purchase ParkHopper that try and get folks to spend an extra day at the parks, plus all the freebies and comps that are issued, including the CM sign in policy, where Disney doesn't allow sign-ins to Disneyland on certain days, but allows it at DCA. If DCA had to rely on just single day tickets sold for entrance to DCA, the park would have closed long ago.

As for enjoying DCA, yes, it is nice to sit at the Cove Bar and have a beer, or ride Screamin'. But I tend not to ride much when I go to DCA, most attractions do not have repeatability IMHO. Heck, Deogge's Mom really dislikes Block Party Bash, and disappears when I decide to take a few photos of the event if I am around when it passes by.

But I also enjoy going to Knott's, Universal Studios, Six Flags Magic Mountain and SeaWorld on a regular basis. In fact, I have said on many occasions, that I prefer any of the other parks (of course, including Disneyland, with KBF, SW, USH and SFMM) over DCA. That is my personal opinion, and I know that others disagree, but on the other hand, I can show ratings from places like Consumer Reports and ThemeParkInsider, that many folks agree with me.

You know, it is amazing, some folks think I wrote the last OC Register article, or the introduction to DCA in the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland. I didn't have anything to do with either, these are opinions that are part of the mainstream media, but folks start talking about me, instead of the comments/facts/opinions in those newspaper articles and similar publications. Once again, IMHO trying to sidetrack the discussion away from DCA.

OK, enough about me, let's get back to talking about DCA and its problems, and hopefully, coming changes to improve the park. And yes, that is what I want to see, IMPROVEMENTS, enough so that folks like myself feel it is worthy of the Disney name.

One more thing, to all of those who sent me private messages in regards to the original posts, Thank You!

P.S. I Love my Girlfriend
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 02-10-2006 at 08:24 AM.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Let me add one more things, these are discussion boards, and I have no problem with those who want to discuss things.

Many of my posts are placed on here because I think it would start a good discussion.

So feel free to talk about the subject that is listed at the top of the page. Want to add your own thoughts or observations about DCA, PLEASE do so.

What I am tired of is the personal stuff, especially since it is against the board rules.

So please keep discussing the parks, heck, that's why MiceChat was formed, to discuss things related to Disney and other parks... (and a lot of other stuff too
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer

So please keep discussing the parks, heck, that's why MiceChat was formed, to discuss things related to Disney and other parks... (and a lot of other stuff too
    Exactly. MiceChat welcomes all sorts of opinions and discussions as long as they don't stray into personal attacks. I don't care who loves DCA and who hates DCA or who feels in between. Some people don't even like Disneyland! (no one here probably, but it's true!) Point is, people don't have to agree which eachother all the time. A disagreement isn't an attack unless it gets personal. Feel free to disagree people- but there is no need to be rude about it.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by some_imagination
    ...if you hate the park, quit going?
    Because it's worth the price of his admission.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Deogge's Mom
    Not for THOSE reasons.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

didn't read it all, it probably the same old crap rhashed over a thousand times on these boards but i did read the first couple lines and just to make a correction

The entry plaza as you call it is still refered to as the esplanade it depends who you talk to. Even some of the entertainment guides call it esplanade.
    The most obvious one was during the car give-away which stated that a new car situated in the resorts "esplanade" would be given away dailey.

• Where's Push?

I use to goto DCA at least once a weekend and I would stay most of the day. Now I usually jump in there just to ride a quick ride or a show, I don't hang around long anymore. Why? Well, they cancelled DUH. The biggest reason why I spent the time in the park.. Gosh, I remember spending numerous weekends just watching their shows over and over again. Hey, I love to laugh! My nephew absolutely loved that show.
    Take Care,

Brenda

• What have I done?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitten
    I use to goto DCA at least once a weekend and I would stay most of the day. Now I usually jump in there just to ride a quick ride or a show, I don't hang around long anymore. Why? Well, they cancelled DUH. The biggest reason why I spent the time in the park.. Gosh, I remember spending numerous weekends just watching their shows over and over again. Hey, I love to laugh! My nephew absolutely loved that show.
    Good lord NO!

Loved me some DUH! Used to watch it like crazy. Now that litle show is what they needed more of in DCA. Seperate note I think ToT and Screamin' have great repeatability. Soarin' sadly it gets old, I love riding it but its I dunno kinda stagnant now. Muppets is great but again no repeatability in that and Bugs Life but they are fun attractions. GRR is nice on a hot day or to dare go on wiht your friends on a cold day so you can laugh at your buds when they get soaked! LOL

Yes DCA has potential I cant wait till it gets improved upon!

"This guy!"

• that's right!

Who thinks our ToT is worse than the WDW version? The only thing they have that's better is the 4-D room which in my opinion is really kind of lame.

• What have I done?

Quote Originally Posted by squinky
    Who thinks our ToT is worse than the WDW version? The only thing they have that's better is the 4-D room which in my opinion is really kind of lame.
    Actually ALOT do. However I think ours is better! The 4D room doesnt add much and to me it throws you off. I think its a cheap trick. Also my family loves our ToT they said it just feels smoother then WDW!

"This guy!"

Quote Originally Posted by pixie chick
    it was pretty sad. the CM's at some of the rides used the birthday stickers and put "DCA #5" on them. i can't believe there wasn't any mention of it at all.
    That is both funny and sad. In the past few months I've grown a greater appreciation of DCA. It seems so much more relaxed in every way, when DL seems kinda of formal and stressful for the most part.
    Sure at DCA I'm sure there are some CMs who feel they got the 'raw deal' by not working in DL. But most actually seem to prefer the place and happy about the different tone of the park (taken in a positive sense).
    In short, there are alot of people who care about the park, and I know CMMAtt does to. I think the whole deal with this is to keep the heat on Disneyland's 50th, It's confusing to have 2 different birthdays going on at the same time, especially since DCA is part of the DLR.
    Personally I would have held off on the 'grand opening' of Monsters Inc. for the 5th, and used that as the showcase of a 5th celebration, as opposed a random dya in January with celebs and media types, but closed to the public.

Edit- Interesting to know that CMs got a button for the anniversary of the Disneyland Hotel last year, but not DCA's this year.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456