Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: What happened to Roger Rabbit?

I actually just found this:

Who Disappeared Roger Rabbit From the Disney Parks? (Korkis Korner) by Jim Korkis

Very interesting and touches most points we have discussed today

• Still lost in Neverland

We have had this question asked many times. It comes down to 1 person who owns the biggest percentage of Roger Rabbit. He is the man that made it possible for all those other cartoon characters to appear in the film. The biggest of which were Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd, Betty Boop, etc. That man is Steven Spielberg. Every time Roger makes an appearance at Disney Theme Parks they have to pay a royalty fee to Spielberg. Disney doesn't like having to do that, so he doesn't show up very often. It's a sad fact that money rules even the appearance of Costumed Characters that are not wholly owned by Disney. Roger Rabbit has always been my favorite character, after Mickey Mouse of course. We would always meet with him in Toon Town for pictures, talks and fun. He is my pal and I miss him at the Park.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

There are so many Disney films from all eras that even some that were monster hits in their day hardly register now. I think Roger Rabbit is one of those, but we still have the ride and Toontown itself to remind those of us who were there at the time.

Similarly, look at the demographic that is utterly disappointed by the displacement of Swiss Family Treehouse by Tarzan. I wasn't in the generation that was wowed by the Swiss Family Robinson film (released in 1960) so it doesn't make that big of a difference to me, but that was a monster hit in its day (and still a lot of fun to watch today) and I can understand their disappointment.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by mtlchuck View Post
    Thatt answers my question perfectly, thanks very much!
    Here is a dated piece that tells a bit more of the story

Who Screwed Roger Rabbit? | Animation World Network

It's not specific to the parks, but talks about the history of the dispute and basically egos take over from there.

But now that the old dreamworks is split up, Eisner is gone, there have been rumblings in the last few years about coming back to the topic... Disney could probably make it happen in the future if they desired. But there doesn't seem to be a champion for Roger :/
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

ORWEN: There actually IS merchandise being made on Roger Rabbit, still. But it's mostly in terms of pins. I see them all the time. So my fluffy bunny isn't totally dead yet. Plus he still pops up at the theme parks from time to time, as others have said.

• Loving all things Disney!

Well this is what the IMDB Parental Guide has recollected from the film:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) - Parents Guide

and it surely is no Mary Poppins after reading these!

i guess that maybe my parents had heard the controversial naked Jessia Rabbit rumors as well, lol
    Holy moly! RRsurely ain't no Mary Poppins!

I've never seen the movie, but from that list, I'm shocked that it's PG. Holy smokes!
    "To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relieves fond memories of he past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."
    - Walt Disney

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    Every time Roger makes an appearance at Disney Theme Parks they have to pay a royalty fee to Spielberg. Disney doesn't like having to do that, so he doesn't show up very often. It's a sad fact that money rules even the appearance of Costumed Characters that are not wholly owned by Disney.
    Source?

Quote Originally Posted by CinderellaGirl View Post
    Holy moly! RRsurely ain't no Mary Poppins!

I've never seen the movie, but from that list, I'm shocked that it's PG. Holy smokes!
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit is on Netflix now. Give it a shot.

I had no idea royalties had to be paid to Spielberg whenever Roger is used in the parks. That actually explains a lot. Shame considering this is Disney's most acclaimed live action film (along with multiple Oscar wins) since Marry Poppins. Roger and co. would fit perfectly in Hollywood Land, but sadly, I don't think we'll see these characters there anytime soon.

•   
    • Minion

I am glad that, given the legal wrangling surrounding Roger, the existing attraction has survived. And Roger and Jessica are featured on some cute pins every now and then.

As to the OP's question, I don't think it's necessarily necessary for the film/etc. associated with an attraction to be currently popular. Who Framed Roger Rabbit as a film is considered a classic by many. Would the average 10 or 16 year old know it? Probably not, but they also probably wouldn't know the characters from Splash Mountain, Gadget's Go Coaster, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, etc. and they'd still enjoy the rides immensely. A good ride is a good ride regardless, and Roger's Toon Car Spin qualifies as such IMHO.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Minion

Do they really have to pay royalties everytime he appears in the parks?
    He was appearing a lot over Easter at Big Thunder Ranch and he appeared randomly one day at Disneyland Paris and I really can't see them paying to use a character.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    Do they really have to pay royalties everytime he appears in the parks?
    He was appearing a lot over Easter at Big Thunder Ranch and he appeared randomly one day at Disneyland Paris and I really can't see them paying to use a character.
    Don't take things so literally. The point being is he's not free for the company to use at will... they must do so under contract terms. Which could mean anything from annual fees to royalities to per use fees... to simply needing permission. None of us really know the current terms of usage agreed upon between the parties.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

ORDDU: I seem to recall having read something, a while back, that claimed Disney had gone ahead and bought full rights to Roger Rabbit at one point but don't hold my broomstick to the fire for proof because it's been a couple of years since I read that and have no idea how true it was or what became of the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: I seem to recall having read something, a while back, that claimed Disney had gone ahead and bought full rights to Roger Rabbit at one point but don't hold my broomstick to the fire for proof because it's been a couple of years since I read that and have no idea how true it was or what became of the article.
    Well, they should have done that way back in the early 90's during the RR craze. Now I find the "bread has gone cold".

Hey everyone,
    Why did Disney made such an effort trying to put so much of the franchise in the parks?
    because in the time you are referring, the film had just come out and so it was being plugged like any other Disney film.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Corn View Post
    because in the time you are referring, the film had just come out and so it was being plugged like any other Disney film.
    If every single Disney film that comes out got a RR CarToon Spin level of attraction, the world would be a much happier place.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast