Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arrow What happened to Roger Rabbit?

Hey everyone,

This is a question I've long being wondering about. It might be a generational thing (I was born in 1990), but I remember when I was young that I would see a big Roger Rabbit presence in Disney parks (I had these Disneyland and Disneyland Paris Sing Alongs), this is also proven by elaborate rides as CarToon Spin and plans for other RR related rides for several different parks.

When I was young, I never saw the film as my parents considered that it was not a "kid's movie". I recently watched it and I agree that it has some more adult elements, and that it was not particularly child friendly. Why did Disney made such an effort trying to put so much of the franchise in the parks (apart from the obvious answer "to sell merchandise". I dont think that RR has aged well as a character, and I find that CarToon Spin is a bit irrecognizable for kids now. Did Disney think that RR would become a timeless Disney staple? Sadly it hasnt proven to be the case, IMO.

thoughts?

• "Always On The Move..."

Re: What happened to Roger Rabbit?

I disagree in that I think Roger Rabbit is considered a classic by many, including myself and many critics and film historians from what I have read. I just watched it again and it holds up perfectly. An amazing piece of work, but I do agree that it isn't exactly a "kids movie" Part of the problem in having more presence in the parks is that it included so many different characters from so many different studios that I believe copyright issues might have gotten in the way.

There used to be a walk around Roger that would hang out in Toontown (he was a close friend who was "friends" with Roger) I used to always have him bound up to me and pick up me in a huge bear hug. Really miss those days.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Roger was out around easter for pictures. he was also out at all the halloween parties last year.

I disagree in that I think Roger Rabbit is considered a classic by many, including myself and many critics and film historians from what I have read.
    I meant Roger as a character, I am aware that the movie was a critical and commercial success

What I mean is more on the lines as "would any kid be aware of Roger Rabbit or want any Roger Rabit merchandise now?" I dont think any is even being made, and apart from nostalgic 80s kids not many people nowadays wouls be enthusiastic about it (whereas characters as old as the 7 dwarves, all of Mickey's gang, Bambi etc get spots on Disney's merchandise shelves amd everyone is familiar with them).

Quote Originally Posted by gtsouthard View Post
    Roger was out around easter for pictures. he was also out at all the halloween parties last year.
    Thats interesting to know! I remember that when I saw Spectromagic in 1997 he was there, but wasnt he replaced by the Genie or Chip and Dale at some point?

• Down Pluto!

Not a kid friendly movie? I guess it depends on what you are protecting kids from. Mine loved it, and grew up into kind and caring adults.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Not a kid friendly movie? I guess it depends on what you are protecting kids from. Mine loved it, and grew up into kind and caring adults.
    Agreed. I watched it as a young child and I'm okay (I think/hope)

they had talked about a movie with mickey mouse and roger rabbit based on a jerry lewis script/movie called the stooge (i think), but i guess they scrapped it because i havent heard anything for over a year

I'm fairly certain the legal issues that ensued between Spielberg and Disney over Roger Rabbit led to the decrease of his presence in the parks. I'm a HUGE Jessica Rabbit fan and collector and have long time wanted the script for the sequel film that Zemeckis was excited about to get greenlit, which was the thought when Alan Horn took over Walt Disney Studios. Obviously nothing ever happened, and it's assumed and even been indirectly stated that they won't do any other Roger Rabbit films. As for the script based on The Stooge that mrmeseeks referred to above, that never got any real traction and was much more of a rumor. The plot and other elements of the story really seemed weak and not up to snuff to be made into an actual film, let alone the return of Mickey Mouse to the big screen (the film was to pair up Mickey and Roger emulating the Dean Martin-Jerry Lewis relationship from the original Stooge film, but with a ridiculous storyline.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    I don't recall it being that bad either, doesn't it just have a PG rating? I imagine some of the current PG films are worse then what Roger Rabbit was in 1988...

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    I don't recall it being that bad either, doesn't it just have a PG rating? I imagine some of the current PG films are worse then what Roger Rabbit was in 1988...
    Well this is what the IMDB Parental Guide has recollected from the film:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) - Parents Guide

and it surely is no Mary Poppins after reading these!

i guess that maybe my parents had heard the controversial naked Jessia Rabbit rumors as well, lol

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by mtlchuck View Post
    Hey everyone,

This is a question I've long being wondering about. It might be a generational thing (I was born in 1990), but I remember when I was young that I would see a big Roger Rabbit presence in Disney parks (I had these Disneyland and Disneyland Paris Sing Alongs), this is also proven by elaborate rides as CarToon Spin and plans for other RR related rides for several different parks.

When I was young, I never saw the film as my parents considered that it was not a "kid's movie". I recently watched it and I agree that it has some more adult elements, and that it was not particularly child friendly. Why did Disney made such an effort trying to put so much of the franchise in the parks (apart from the obvious answer "to sell merchandise". I dont think that RR has aged well as a character, and I find that CarToon Spin is a bit irrecognizable for kids now. Did Disney think that RR would become a timeless Disney staple? Sadly it hasnt proven to be the case, IMO.

thoughts?
    It's a timeless film to some. Obviously being that it's a movie it's completely subjective. Personally, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin is one of my favorite attractions in the park. I grew up a 90's child as well, and the VHS I had of Who Framed Roger Rabbit got a lot of use. To this day even, it's still one of my go-to favorite films.

They use the Roger walk around character for special events. It's a little few and far in between but he still shows up. The attraction has proven to stand the test of time, too. On any given day it has a decent wait, so I am not so sure that I agree with your point about it (and him) not being recognizable.

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    It's a timeless film to some. Obviously being that it's a movie it's completely subjective. Personally, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin is one of my favorite attractions in the park. I grew up a 90's child as well, and the VHS I had of Who Framed Roger Rabbit got a lot of use. To this day even, it's still one of my go-to favorite films.

They use the Roger walk around character for special events. It's a little few and far in between but he still shows up. The attraction has proven to stand the test of time, too. On any given day it has a decent wait, so I am not so sure that I agree with your point about it (and him) not being recognizable.
    Oh, dont get me wrong! Even though I havent ridden it, it seems like a fantastic ride, even better than much of what is being built nowadays... I would never want the attraction replaced. Another point is that many people I have talked to about the film dont even recognize it as a Disney film, quite possibly because of the mix with other studios' cartoons it uses.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by mtlchuck View Post
    Hey everyone,

thoughts?
    Disney doesn't own the character outright and there was a spat between Spielberg and the company over the character. That muted Disney's further usage and he's pretty much been contained to existing implementations.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Disney doesn't own the character outright and there was a spat between Spielberg and the company over the character. That muted Disney's further usage and he's pretty much been contained to existing implementations.
    Thatt answers my question perfectly, thanks very much!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast