2 4.00%
  • Within 50 miles of Dallas

12 24.00%
  • Some other place

36 72.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Best Place for Next Disney Resort

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    As far as another international park goes, I am somewhat surprised Disney hasn't settled in Australia yet. I think part of the reason is the fact that a lot of Australian guests fly to California for weeks at a time to visit. Why give that kind of money up to spend millions building a park right in their own backyard?
    More guests visit Tokyo Disney Resort annually than the entire population of Australia. There simply isn't a big enough market for the full scale resorts that Disney has decided to pursue (However, at a time they did consider smaller boutique parks for Australia, Singapore, and Dubai).

I don't think we will see another resort for at least 10 years, as Shanghai was already in the talks when Hong Kong was being built, but I do see the most likely candidates as Brazil or India. Both are huge markets and have room to grow the Disney brand as a whole.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Dreaming unrealistically but I either want a Disneyland near Indianapolis (cuz the nearest theme park anyway is a 3 hr drive which is pretty ridiculous) or near Dallas, preferably near Carrolton so I can have something to do when I visit my relatives there other than be stuck in my Grandma's listening to relatives talk about politics all day or spend all afternoon in the H-Mart with my mom.

• Down Pluto!

None. They should concentrate resources on maintaining and improving existing parks.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

I also doubt there is any chance of another park in North America, at least for decades. However, I'd also add Texas is probably out due to weather as well. Sure it probably won't snow, but it's also at least 90 degrees outside far too frequently (if not 100). For me personally, that's unbearable, and it doesn't cool off at night. I know Texans and probably other folks from the Southwest are used to their heat, but people from other areas I'd expect to melt outside all day in that weather.
    Last edited by theatremouse; 07-07-2014 at 07:33 PM.

• "What is thy bidding?"

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I think it would be tough to put a theme park like Disney in a state like Illinois because of the weather. There wouldn't be a realistic way to keep it open all year without some serious maintenance and outdoor ride closures. Not to mention the frigid cold in the winter. We have an amusement park in Denver and it closes two days after Halloween and doesn't reopen until mid-May for that very reason. You can't operate the rides in a snowstorm and it's not realistic to expect people to travel and walk around a Disney park in winter clothing. Not unless it's a Frozen themed park (sarcasm).

Even Texas is a gamble because of the possibility of hurricanes and tornadoes. But, given the poll choices I would say a park in Texas makes a lot more sense. The weather is more consistent and is pretty warm throughout the year. Even in the winter the temps still stay around 50-60 degrees. It is pretty close to both Disneyland and WDW, but maybe it could be a different type of park. Instead of shoehorning Star Wars and Marvel into the existing parks, maybe do an Islands of Adventure type park dedicated just to those franchises and others that haven't made it into other Disney parks yet.

As far as another international park goes, I am somewhat surprised Disney hasn't settled in Australia yet. I think part of the reason is the fact that a lot of Australian guests fly to California for weeks at a time to visit. Why give that kind of money up to spend millions building a park right in their own backyard?
    Having a park in or near the Middle East won't happen. That part of the world is too unstable and is often on travel advisories. Way too much of a gamble.
    Another stateside Disney Park would draw guests from both parks. I am pretty Sure Disney wants its guests to cough up the money to travel to Orlando or Socal. A park in Texas would be fantastic though. People from the Midwest could enjoy the experience of Disney with out the extended travel. (unless your from the Dakotas) It could have the largest Frontierland including the fabled western river expedition ride. Pull some the different experiences like the Tron Coaster, Mystic Manor type attraction ect and an original Castle. Possibilities would be endless.........

Better chances of another off shore Disney Park.....

It didn't occur to me until just now, but every few years, rumors spread in my area of Disney wanting to build a park. Nothing ever comes of it, of course, but some of these occurrences seemed pretty serious. The link below is just for the latest round, but it does illustrate that this is a common thing around here.

Rumors Circulate a Possible Disney Theme Park in Joplin, Missouri - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

"I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

I do think that a smaller scale disney park could work really well in Australia.

They could take alot of business away from the existing theme parks here and would draw a lot of additional attendance.

They are never going to reach the attendance numbers of DLR, WDW or TDLR but it think they could expect around 7 million guests per year which would be viable if the park wa smaller with less over heads.

It would also mean that people would still travelk to the U.S parks to see the bigger versions

Brazil.

a 3rd U.S. park is really unlikely and IMO unnecessary.

Australia would have to be something small. i've always heard/read that population is just too small to consider doing a full-on park.

Australia has the same population as Southern California, even if you add New Zealand to the equation, its only around 30 million people. Australia might eventually get one 20-30 years down the road, but i'd expect India or Brasil to be next on the agenda.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Brasil.

• Seed and Mulch

If you draw a line from Dallas, to Houston, to San Antonio, back to Dallas, you have roughly drawn a triangle. The smartest place Disney could build a new resort would be somewhere near the middle of that triangle - essentially near Texas A&M University (College Station, Texas), an hour to two hours drive from all three cities (as well as Austin and Ft Worth). Six hour drive from New Orleans and seven hours from the Mexican border. The weather is warm almost all year round (comparable to Orlando). Plus the cruise lines go through Galveston which is about a 90 minute drive.

• former CM

Dbz77, you could have had 10 options.

I'd like a mostly indoor Magic Kingdom park that could go more roofless in the spring, summer and fall
    outside of NYC
    with a WDW preview attraction (like "If You Had Wings" with small OJ samples at the end)
    that starts at the back of one Main Street alley and exits across the street.

Most U.S. citizens still live in the eastern time zone in the U.S., and most of these are in the Northeast. Many families will not go to WDW way down in Florida, and the late, great Steve Jobs advised companies not to worry about cannibalizing their own products.

Rio and South Korea could be next. Make each park so different and spectacular--each with its own Soarin' over the country of the park--that people will want to visit every Disney resort.

Disneyland did well as a one-park resort for 35 years, and other places could too, especially if Disney didn’t cheap out and invested the creative energy to make them each truly unique and “must see.” Maybe Disney should let the Oriental Land Company or Universal Orlando build a Disney park. Kidding . . . about Universal--not the Oriental Land Company.

I think Iger has his hands full with Shanghai Disneyland, Star Wars, and Marvel fo rthe time being. Wouldn't it be cool John Lasseter got off his stupid winery and were given 5 billion and free reign to build a Disneyland resort? Imagine a new park with 3 hotels that were all the quality of Tokyo Disney Sea or Carsland, with almost all new attractions. (Gotta have a Dumbo.)

Google "Freedomland, U.S.A." to see photos of a not-so-original, and too-outdoors-for-that-climate Disneyland rip-off in the NEern U.S. that failed.

• Former Churro Jockey

I don't really see Disney expanding into any other countries for the forseeable future. India makes sense as the next place because of the population, but there is always the potential for a war with Pakistan so I suspect the region is a little bit too unstable for Disney's taste. They need a 3rd & 4th park in Tokyo considering the crowds, as well as a 3rd park at Disneylan.

Oh, and whoever asked about Dubai, they were buildin Dubai Land, which was going to be four times as large as Walt Disney World. I know it was going to have a Univeral Studios, and I think it was also going to have a Legoland, among other things. However after the recession they ran out of money and last I heard I believe the project was abandoned.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• WDW & Universal in Sept!!

Talking Re: Best Place for Next Disney Resort

I really dont see Disney ever building another Theme Park Resort within the states. Why drive millions upon millions of people to a different resort when you have two that are located in great locations. . . What they need to do is just build more gates at the parks. Sure Disneyland only has room for 1 or 2 more but i am sure in the 30 year plan its an option. We dont even need to discuss the mass amount of acreage left in Florida . . .

Internationally I think a good location would be Dubai, like others had said because of the amount of money being invested. Sure oil runs out but they are smart and reinvest their money into new industry as well so that area i would imagine will just grow into the unforeseeable future. . .

I think they are pretty set for Asia and Europe since all those parks have solid track records (give or take a few seasons for disney paris).

What i REALLY see Disney focusing on are more resorts such as the one in Hawaii - Disney Aulani. . . I think within the next 5-10 years we will hear news about new resorts around the world (hopefully state side included) breaking ground.

What i would LOVE TO SEE is a Tokyo Disney Sea in the States. Water parks are cash cows and something of that scale I think would do great . . . Maybe something more low scale like that in Texas?

I donno just my thoughts

There's been a "local rumor" for years that Disney was actually considering opening a park somewhere between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, NM. I did a google search, only to find out that this rumor has zero online presence, much less validity.

Favorite DL Ride:
    Splash Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion
    Favorite DLCA Ride: Radiator Springs Racers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast