2 4.00%
  • Within 50 miles of Dallas

12 24.00%
  • Some other place

36 72.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Pox-worthy since 1973

Re: Best Place for Next Disney Resort

Speaking of parks that were/are rumored or never came to fruition.

There was a park called "Disney's AMERICA" (you've all heard of it before, I'm sure).

Disney was DEFINITELY going to move forward and build it. Then Pocahontas came out. The got so much backlash and so many prostests about how historically inaccurate the film was (and is, I'll give them that), and how historically inaccurate the park would be as a result (how they figured that, I can't begin to comprehend), they shelved the park completely. They then formulated a "Plan B", which became what we know as "Disney's California Adventure (1.0)".

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
    'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth"

~ Eric Idle, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

• Pan's Left-Hand Man

Mark my words, the next Disney Parks Resort will be on the moon!
    "On these magic shores children at play are for ever beaching their coracles..."
    J.M. Barrie

Quote Originally Posted by illusent View Post
    There's been a "local rumor" for years that Disney was actually considering opening a park somewhere between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, NM. I did a google search, only to find out that this rumor has zero online presence, much less validity.
    this seems to be a common urban myth in tons of different cities around America. i remember there was a huge rumor mill in my city (population was sub 100,000 at the time) many, many years ago about Disney surveying land to build a Texas Disney park. it even made the front page in the local newspaper of i remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by PhonyKingOfEngland View Post
    Speaking of parks that were/are rumored or never came to fruition.

There was a park called "Disney's AMERICA" (you've all heard of it before, I'm sure).

Disney was DEFINITELY going to move forward and build it. Then Pocahontas came out. The got so much backlash and so many prostests about how historically inaccurate the film was (and is, I'll give them that), and how historically inaccurate the park would be as a result (how they figured that, I can't begin to comprehend), they shelved the park completely. They then formulated a "Plan B", which became what we know as "Disney's California Adventure (1.0)".
    The reason Disney's America didn't get built was because of rampant NIMBY among politically connected land owners in Virginia.

i agree south america would be the next new market

Quote Originally Posted by Slightly View Post
    Mark my words, the next Disney Parks Resort will be on the moon!
    The Alien Encounter preshow used to advertise Lunar Disneyland, the happiest place off earth

Reasons for Dubai: Money. They has it. The government of the UAE is desperate to convert their economy from oil to tourism. They're building islands and pulling in film money. The Star Wars sets they've built there are rumored to be left standing for more filming. It would be so easy to turn that set into a practical studio park where fans could tour the actual Star Wars sets and be transported to Tatooine. Add a magic kingdom and you're set.

Reasons for Brazil: One of the world's top emerging economies. There is an ever expanding middle class and massive build-up for the World Cup and Olympics. Disney could easily work a deal to build a resort with a couple of parks, magic kingdom / animal kingdom setup (rain forest / avatar-y).

Reasons for Australia: The country is a top tourist destination for the world, in particular the growing population of Asian tourists. As with Dubai, Australia is really trying to pull in the film money and this could be a boon here as well. A resort centered on a studio park/ magic kingdom park is an easy sell to the government for increased tax revenue and tourism boost.

Reasons for India: Along with China and Brazil, India makes up the triad of launching powers in the world. Disney is already tying themselves to Indian studios and building their brand in the country. Disney is building a second resort in China because there's a billion people there. India also has a billion.

Reasons for Texas: The business culture of Texas is insane right now. If Disney is going to build a new park in the US, there's nowhere else that would be better. The climate is right and an expanded frontierland/carsland is a no-brainer. Texas likes things big, and they give tax breaks to make things happen. Disney could build anywhere in Texas and people will come. Near San Antonio along the 10 is almost exactly halfway between the existing resorts. A Star Wars / Marvel park to go with a magic kingdom and you've got a package resort pretty quick.

Reasons not Dubai: Wow are they going to run out of money. Dubai is built on excess and excess will fade as their oil stock does. In addition, the entire region is in a constant state of upheaval and war for the last 5000 years. It has never really stopped. Building anywhere near the middle east is a huge liability risk. As a massive display of western culture, Disney might as well lay out the park in a bull's eye formation for the size of the target they'd be painting on themselves. Security would be a huge concern, and shareholders would have a tough time swallowing the formation of an actual army that would be required to keep the park safe. Oh, but desert combat fatigue Mickey would be awesome, with his own tank and everything. Treatment of women is also a big concern. Disney makes big money on Princesses, many of whom have an image that is unacceptable in significant portions of the region, particularly newer princesses like Merida and Anna who have a 'stand-up for themselves' attitude. Any actress dressed as Jasmine would have to be fearful for her life constantly. They could get around this by making sure the adult populace knew that the character is played by a very effeminate man in drag I suppose, but it would be awkward and a hard sell.

Reasons not Brazil: Similar to Dubai, security is a huge issue. People don't walk around at night in Brazil because of the theft and kidnappings that occur. UFC fighter Shogun Roa was robbed at gunpoint for goodness sake. Again, Disney forming a private army for security is not an image I think they want to put across to the world. In addition, language is a big tourist concern. Making a park with Portuguese as the primary language would really take a big chunk out of the potential South American tourist population who overwhelmingly speak Spanish. Yes, Brazil has an emerging middle class, but the size of the lower class is massive. Sadly, there's too many poor citizens to make a park here practical in the next 20 years. Beyond that, once the middle class has expanded over the poor and the country is safer, then maybe, but I can't see it happening anytime before that.

Reasons not Australia: The population of the ENTIRE country is the same as southern California, spread out over a COUNTRY. It would be tough to keep a day to day park running with that populace. The weather is insane. I've heard it said many times that Australia is always trying to kill everyone that lives there. It's like nature is visibly upset that humans are there. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing, and I hope to visit many many times, but how you would operate a theme park 365 there is beyond me. The possibility of running a small magic kingdom park near the Universal park is there, but I'm not sure I could see a full resort.

Reasons not India: Along with Dubai and Brazil, security would be tough. India and Pakistan are a powder keg waiting for a match. Again, too close to the volatile nature of the middle east. As with Brazil, the poor far outnumber the not poor. Tough sell for an expensive theme park. India also has a massive sanitation problem. Trash and pollution are big concerns with a billion people.

Reasons not Texas: Too close to the other parks. Anaheim and Orlando are approximately 2500 miles apart, and even if you build it dead center, 1250 miles is pretty close. My father does day long motorcycle rides longer than that on a semi-regular basis, and he's getting old. The local population is also fairly spread out. Bexar county, home of San Antonio, is approximately a million people. Travis county, home of Austin, is also roughly a million. Dallas and Denton counties, home of the greater Dallas and Fort Worth areas, is approximately 3 million. Harris county, home of Houston, is approximately 4 million. Sure, if you build in the triangle between those zones, you'd have access to 10 to 15 million, but you'd lose the infrastructure, the highways and the airports. By comparison, in the same area of triangulation, the Anaheim resort would reach the far edge of Ventura down to Tijuana and up to Vegas and would encompass between 25 to 30 million. Along with proximity to the other parks, the main concern in Texas would be political. Disney is a very liberal company, and a lot of the values that Disney pushes would have a tough time in the Dallas and Houston areas, where more of the population is. Disney is much more of an Austin kind of company, but the population, while massively expanding in the last few years, is still well shy of what they would need.

Conclusion: If Disney is building another park in the next decade, it would likely be part of an existing resort: third park in Anaheim, third park in Tokyo, third park in Paris. However, if they are going to build a new resort, the most likely of the proposed locations would be Texas. Even with the cannibalization of the other parks and the lower populace of the general Texas areas, the benefits would be massive. The tax breaks and business culture of Texas are phenomenal, Disney could probably build their own international airport near College Station and Rick Perry would sign off on it today. Anything north of the 35th parallel would have too many weather concerns for Disney. Paris was really pushing it, and Tokyo is right on the line. Really, Disney made Anaheim a name, they made Orlando a name, and they could easily make Hearne into a household name as well. The risks of any of the other international locations far surpasses the benefit at the moment. That will likely change in the coming decades in India and Brazil, but it's not there yet, and it would be a hard sell for Iger on his way out, or any new CEO on their way in. Dubai would be the easiest with existing set build for Star Wars, but the risks are so large, I just don't see it being practical.

^^^^ fantastic post.

although i disagree about political problems in Texas. Disney has embraced liberal political policies and candidates in the past yes, but i highly doubt that anybody in Texas is going to refuse enough business to the park to cause any sort of dent.
    Last edited by Commander Corn; Yesterday at 10:36 AM.

I wish they would put one in Washington...but it rains too much.

Quote Originally Posted by hollyray View Post
    I wish they would put one in Washington...but it rains too much.
    Name:  under-the-dome2.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  51.3 KB
    Problem solved.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123