Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

• The Lucky Rabbit

Re: Legends of Frontierland ARG

@nightrippe Absolutely. You will be able to choose your side (Frontierland or Rainbow Ridge at any location), I suggest the Telegraph Office which is next to the Goldenhorshoe. The fastest way to begin earning bits is by completing "work" and/or delivering telegraphs. Depending on which side you choose will determine which telegraphs you can deliver. Sometime they have Morse Code assignments with a little decoder card you can do as well.

If you don't mind spending 3-6 dollars, you can get a sort of jumpstart by purchasing Elixirs at the cart next to the Mark Twain dock. Essentially you sip the drinks ($3 a piece) and prominently show them to CM's in Frontierland for their abilities to work. The Luck drink will start you off with at least one bit, and then other CM's will give you bits in different way as you communicate with them. The drink itself tastes like a light version of lemonade/limeade. The Knowledge drink will have CM's give you additional information you wouldn't have received otherwise to earn bits from doing tasks. It's like a grapefruit punch flavor. There is a third drink which I only used once, Charm. It gets you out of Jail faster or eliminated a Wanted Poster if you are an Outlaw. It tastes awful, its like lemonade mixed with Tobasco. You get a sweet taste up front but then the back of your throat gets that tabasco lingering feeling.

If you choose Rainbow Ridge look for Red or Geddidiah, if you choose Frontierland look for Sheriff Chance. Also look out for Billy which I have seen switch sides. There are more important characters in the Legends of Frontierland Story and sometimes can help you out, especially early on.

Have a fun time!
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing ... That it was all started by a mouse ... and inspired by a rabbit."

@Oswaldtherabbit Thanks for the additional information! I've sent it over to my friend. I'm asking them to try a tactic since there are 3 in their party. Each one have one of the drinks and see how far they can get today. Since they are also Annual Passholders they may make more appearances playing before it ends. Thanks again for the info! See you in the park!

• Loves Disney

One-Eyed Bart and Pineapple Pete here just wanted to let everyone know I posted a trip report under Oswalds trip report possibly we can make that thread the main information and trip report thread

• Pan's Left-Hand Man

Maybe it's easier to understand when you're there and actually playing the game...

But just looking at it on paper, my head is swimming and I'm completely in the dark.
    "On these magic shores children at play are for ever beaching their coracles..."
    J.M. Barrie

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by Slightly View Post
    Maybe it's easier to understand when you're there and actually playing the game...

But just looking at it on paper, my head is swimming and I'm completely in the dark.
    Yes, being there makes a huge difference!
    Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse

• The Lucky Rabbit

@Slightly It absolutely makes a lot more sense when you are playing it. Check out the Primer I wrote in another post and that clarifies a lot of the game.
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing ... That it was all started by a mouse ... and inspired by a rabbit."

I went to play today and earned hero status! Yay!

• #bringevilback

There were a bunch of CMs out yesterday, from guest research I'd guess, and I got asked for an email survey, which came today asking about most details in the game. Anyone else get this?
    Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse

• Pizza-rella

Yes, it's esier once you get there! I was still confused for the longest time because the CMs didn't explain it very well at first, but I just went around asking random people questions and then found a group. I left early the day I went and want to stay for a whole game.
    Nighttrippe I'm so jealous! I still don't understand how people get Hero status. I asked Crazy Bill but he didn't realy explain anything... Crazy Bill for you there.
    If I could pick one Disney charater I'm most like, it would be Cinderella. I love to clean and I have an obssesion with shoes!

@babebet - The long and short of it is that there isn't a "do X and Y and you gain Hero Status". Today it was given to three people (two Rainbow Ridge, one Frontierland). There are a couple things that I would suggest you do next time you are able to visit and play.

1) Get to know what characters are in play that day and then get involved in their personal storylines.

2) Actively assist and recruit other guests into the game. This helps draw more of a crowd into what is happening that day and gives more energy to the performers to interact and keep the story moving and interesting for everyone. The performers need a crowd to feed off of and to have people actively effecting them keeps everything interesting.

3) Stick with the persona that you have started with so that people begin to recognize you.

4) Do not be afraid to help other new players out, even if they are an opposite faction. The more people enjoy the game, the greater the desire for people to return, the longer this game can continue to thrive.

In the end, I think the way to become a hero is to help support the game and take time to help new players find their footing. I received the Hero coin because I included others, kept interacting with both the Cast and Guests, helped new players learn the game and got them on their way and really kept being in the middle of things whenever possible. Do not be afraid to be creative and think outside the box. The game is far from perfect, but it is perfect enough to allow for strange and unusual things to happen (within reason). I will be posting in the primer thread and tell the story of what happened with me and my friend Stephen yesterday.

One final thought. You take away from the game what you put into it. Organize a group to come out with you sometime and play. I would LOVE to play with other people and help on some crazy scheme because it is fun, interesting and may make Disney Entertainment scratch their heads and put the thinking caps on as to how to resolve something Guest driven. In all sense of the word, this is LARP. You can not anticipate everyone's reaction and motivations, but you can adapt to them so everyone has fun. I hope this helps.

My niece Zippity Zoe and I earned our hero coins Sunday, Aug. 17 after two full days of playing. The two days were about a week and a half apart.

I think we followed a great path to get them. The first time we played, we did a lot of observing. We made sure to interact with all the characters and make note of almost everything they said. Then we started using that information. A good example is our interaction with Chance and Mac. One of our first telegraphs was to make a wanted poster and find Chance. But, we had no clue what he looked like. So we started asking around. That is when we found out Chance and Mac had a thing. So we exploited that.

It's also the way us Frontierland folk got to be friends with a Rainbow Ridger like Mac. At first she made a big deal about us being near her. But, I said "I have something here that might interest you" and showed her the wanted poster for Chance. That led to a day long back and forth between the two characters. At the end of the day they had a "trial" and since I was standing next to Chance, he tried to use me as his alibi for not meeting Mac on a date. I rolled the dice and basically sided with Mac. It was the right thing to do. I figured making friends with the opposite side was the right choice.

We also used the time to make friends with players from both sides. We partnered up with Fetchley and some others to buy the jail for Frontierland. We also did something clever; stand around the Telegraph station and just listen. You hear a lot of information coming through. A warrant out for Chance again? Go find Chance and tell him (and get some bits). A Rainbow Ridger needs help finding out how to spell someone's name to put on a warrant? We'll help! And then go warn them.

The big lesson we learned from the first day is to not go full-on gung ho for one side. Pick a side, then play both. Carefully.

We also went home with a thought: we needed a hook. We needed something that would set us apart from everyone else. But, we didn't want to step on any other player's toes. So we brainstormed about every single thing in the Frontierland section of the park. The rides, restaurants, shops, shows etc. We threw out all the obvious stuff. Obvious jobs players would try to take on.

And then we came up with it. Our idea.

Name:  IMG_20140817_173602680.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  68.5 KB

An awareness campaign. For people to stop giving goats dynamite. Simple enough. Sort of clever. It's something every single person that has ridden Big Thunder knows about. We didn't rush things though. We did a few telegraph missions, bought some land, met some new people. We even found Mac and she remembered us! We might be from Frontierland, I said, but we helped you with that big Chance problem.

That turned into something we could work with. The goat problem wasn't a Frontierland or Rainbow Ridge issue, it affected everyone! My grandpappy was from Rainbow Ridge and was hurt by a goat with dynamite. Zippity Zoe's turtle was also hurt. The person running the telegraph station seemed to break character with laughter when we pitched our idea. That's when we knew it was going to work.

We made a poster and got the Golden Horseshoe station attendant to help us with slogan ideas. Our first plan of attack was to get every single character on our side by signing our poster. Any park employee wearing a Frontierland/Rainbow Ridge nametag we approached and pitched our campaign too. Especially people with ear pieces. We hit everyone, including the ranch area. We even asked the goats up there what they thought.

Name:  IMG_20140817_151845131_HDR.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  98.5 KB

We got something like 125 bits from interacting with the characters that way. Holding a cup of Luck helped I'm sure. We knew we had something when people started approaching us with telegrams that was asking people to find us and help out our cause. I think those telegrams will be our most treasured keepsake from all of this.

From beginning to end we got something like 46 people to sign the poster. Only two fellow players refused to sign. One said he liked the goats and explosions and we couldn't budge him. The other kept feeding us a line that we needed to pay her to sign. Slightly rude (in character?) so my niece didn't want to deal with her again. I think it was also that they didn't want to "help" a Frontierland person. Ah well.

Priscilla even had us speak about our cause at a big get together in front of the Horseshoe. All the while we were doing side missions and buying land/property. Toward the end we had all of our signatures, so we decided to partner up with a couple and just help them out. We went to their dance party, gave them bits and helped them start a business.

We knew we were in for something when Priscilla was writing our names down and asking us to come to the 5:40 show. As we sat waiting for the show, Mac came up to us and handed us a property deed. She said a big time player asked her to give it to someone who helped a lot that day.

Name:  IMG_20140817_174944025.jpg
Size:  98.4 KB

The look on Zippity Zoe's face when she was called up to stand in front of everyone was priceless. For everyone who complains about the game, how it's a waste of time etc. I ask you to look at the pure joy on my niece's face and not understand that it's the purest form of Disney magic possible. I'd play this game each and every time we went to the park to see that face again.

Name:  IMG_20140817_175508548_HDR.jpg
Size:  131.2 KB

But, we knew it was probably the last time we're going to play the game. We came back the next day, but to go Juju hunting. We did run into our old friends Fetchley and Coffee Bean Jean and brought them up to speed on everything that happened Sunday. We also offered to pause our Juju hunting to come back and help Fetchley get Legend status.

So, my lessons learned on how to get a hero coin: come up with a really clever idea. Don't get into the mess of Frontierland vs. Rainbow Ridge. Well, at least not in public. Did I forget to mention I bought a bunch of land right in the middle of Rainbow Ridge just to mess with them? (catch the Guardians of the Galaxy reference?)

Name:  IMG_20140817_171840442.jpg
Size:  99.9 KB

Heh, no names on the board and no other players saw me do it. And the two characters running the board said it was totally legal. Make sure to interact with fellow players. You can always avoid the annoying people.

I love the look on everyone's face when they are winning the hero coin. That more than anything exemplifies why the game, when it goes right, can be so incredibly magical (and why its probably hard for those who haven't experienced to understand).

There are a variety of ways people have become heroes. Some people do it by leading their teams to victory and coordinating the town players. Others by being really helpful and helping out new comers and officiating. My son did it by doing, like you did, stunts. The stunts are probably the quickest way to get the hero coin but it's also the hardest to get right. It took him a while to get it just right, to know what would work and what wouldn't and what would be allowed and what wouldn't. For example, one player tried to do the conquest of Tom Sawyer's island but it was disallowed for safety reason. My son's stunts have included: starting a medical office (one of first, if not the first, to do so), organizing a wiggles contest, teaching the town residents not to blink, organizing the Frontierland defense forces, warning folks about trains running without engineers around the mountain, running for mayor on an antirailroad platform and fighting and defeating the railroad tycoon (for which he won the hero coin) and cooperated with a team of native americans, a hunt for his missing key, launching a medical expedition to the native american village, fighting a strange looking and wierd gunslinger, and finally campaigning for peace with the Marshall and Tanto (for which he earned Legend status). He also had one campaign which couldn't go off due to too much happening in the town which I wish we could have done-- campaigning for statehood for the western territories.

As my son would say, fezes are cool.
    Last edited by Gting; 08-21-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Legends of Frontierland has been extended beyond the September 1 sunset date. It's unclear how long, however. We heard various things from the cast members such as somewhere through the September 20s-- the concern being they need to wrap it up before Halloween is in full swing. My son is privately hoping it runs at least through Gallidays....he would love to see all the doctors running around Legends of Frontierland.

BTW, anyone know what was up with all the surveyors running around the game this weekend? There were folks with clipboards observing the game and writing notes but they weren't asking people questions. It looked like they were counting perhaps? Is it perhaps related to the fact that we don't know what the end date is and they want to get more testing in? I have to say it's all just very wierd: announcing an extension at the last minute just a few days before wrap up-- leaving both cast and players scrambling to extend out story lines --and not giving a definitive end date. We came back early from a family vacation to catch the last day only to find out it really wasn't the last day...happy for the extension but ultimately I hope they do wrap this up and make this a seasonal thing as an ending is important to a story.

Son is very happy though it looks like this will run through Gallidays...he's laughing himself silly at the thought that he might be able to get several versions of himself to come visit the game, even if just for a short while.
    Last edited by Gting; 09-01-2014 at 10:40 PM.

• Faerie Godmother

I played briefly a few weeks ago, but yesterday was my first serious shot at the game. I was beyond tickled to make not only Hero status but Legend status, all in one day! Did anyone see me? I was Calistoga Kellee (it came out Chattanooga Kelle on my certificate), the inventor who spearheaded the cat-powered electrical system.
    More to Disneyland than meets the eye? You don't know the half of it...
    Knights of the Magic Kingdom

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast