Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Singing Drinker

Re: My Experience Performing at DCA

Quote Originally Posted by TheMagicFlower View Post
    What I meant from that phrase was that we were high school kids, and can't really be expected to be held at a professional's standard. Mistakes are a given when you're dealing with teenaged performers, and that does not call for "outside voices" of any kind!
    Agreed - just keep in mind that the HoB Anaheim may *say* you've got a 1 p.m. call time, but they're REALLY surprised when you actually show up then. Like, wandering through the building desperately looking for anyone at all to tell you where to go surprised.

I think my point is 'don't sell yourself short'. If some poor schlub at the Observatory can deal with the detritus of a mid-level touring band showing up seven hours late, depositing bodily fluids on every available surface, then leaving the entire beer can collection of Greater Saskatchewan stuffed into the toilet and STILL be on an even keel and interact professionally with the next group on the next day? High school students are absolute apex models of professional perfection from what "B" would be dealing with in the rest of the world.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Substitute Princess

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Agreed - just keep in mind that the HoB Anaheim may *say* you've got a 1 p.m. call time, but they're REALLY surprised when you actually show up then. Like, wandering through the building desperately looking for anyone at all to tell you where to go surprised.

I think my point is 'don't sell yourself short'. If some poor schlub at the Observatory can deal with the detritus of a mid-level touring band showing up seven hours late, depositing bodily fluids on every available surface, then leaving the entire beer can collection of Greater Saskatchewan stuffed into the toilet and STILL be on an even keel and interact professionally with the next group on the next day? High school students are absolute apex models of professional perfection from what "B" would be dealing with in the rest of the world.
    Thank you so much for saying that. If I ever get the chance to be a Disney CM one day, I know that I'll have so much more to worry about that a high school group that has a few bra straps showing. Hahaha!

It'll take more than one CM to take away the Disney magic from me! Once I saw World of Color later that night, I was quite comforted.
    Glad to hear it.

•   
    • Minion

MagicFlower, I'm sorry you had that sort of experience! And I'm really glad that you didn't let B's demeanor spoil your day or your performance.

I'm going to agree with what others have said, in that I feel that the way B behaved and spoke toward you all would have been inappropriate and unprofessional whether you were high school students or the NY Philharmonic. It sounds as if though there was a real a lack of communication and the appropriate information wasn't given to you or your group leader - and that's not your fault.

I do hope you will let Disney know about your experience - both that A was a good CM and that B wasn't so good. And best wishes with your music in the future!
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• With The Brain Of A Bird

Sorry to hear you and your classmates where spoken to that way. I'm glad CM "A" sort of counter balanced CM "B" and that you kept a good attitude the rest of your visit. Out of curiosity, did your conductor say or do anything outside of apologizing? I'd like to think that he would have taken CM "B" off to the side at some point, remind her that you were students, that Disney invited you to be there for the day and that she should lose the attitude.
    All the best on your future performance.
    "Anything's possible at Disneyland." - Walt Disney, 1965

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    You'd've fit in.

BTW, thanks to Micechat for wishing me a Happy Birthday! every year. I'm 50 today, so everyone should expect a new level of maturity from me. Yes, another thing--be more mature--to write down. . . nah.
    Happy Birthday!

You should write Disney a letter or email about your experience, and you should encourage your classmates to do that as well. Whether CM B was having a bad day or not, yelling and acting like a maniac is unacceptable behavior. She needs to be reassigned to do other types of work at the resort.

I somewhat agree about the "being high school kids" and they should not be held to a professional standard. However, I was the exception to the norm when I was a teenager. This isn't meant to be a bragging moment. My teachers, administrators, other parents, other high school kids, stage crew, directors, you name it...all pointed out to me that I was professional, mature and not like the other kids. I don't condone what CM B did and how she treated you guys. I understand how frustrations from either work or personal life can build up and explode due to one little thing like some of the students being late. Tardiness is one of my biggest pet peeves (which has been been since I was a freshman in high school). I used to work with high schoolers in my former career so I "get" teenagers and how they can be. Yes, you guys weren't the Philharmonic so the topic of teenagers not being held to that caliber of standard is a valid argument. You can just learn from this experience and know that the CM B wasn't necessarily being professional herself. Yes, maybe she had a horrible day already. Maybe she had a bad high school ensemble experience before. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

• Substitute Princess

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    Sorry to hear you and your classmates where spoken to that way. I'm glad CM "A" sort of counter balanced CM "B" and that you kept a good attitude the rest of your visit. Out of curiosity, did your conductor say or do anything outside of apologizing? I'd like to think that he would have taken CM "B" off to the side at some point, remind her that you were students, that Disney invited you to be there for the day and that she should lose the attitude.
    All the best on your future performance.
    To clarify, you still had to audition to be invited. They picked our audition, so I suppose that's why our conductor didn't do anything except just apologize and hurry us along.

Quote Originally Posted by superlarz View Post
    You should write Disney a letter or email about your experience, and you should encourage your classmates to do that as well. Whether CM B was having a bad day or not, yelling and acting like a maniac is unacceptable behavior. She needs to be reassigned to do other types of work at the resort.
    I sent in an email today, with your encouragement as well as other Micechatters. I can't seem to find the contact information with anyone higher up, for obvious reasons, so I'm hoping that someone will personally reply with some sort of affirmation that something will be done about it. I would hate for any other high schools to get the same treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    I somewhat agree about the "being high school kids" and they should not be held to a professional standard. However, I was the exception to the norm when I was a teenager. This isn't meant to be a bragging moment. My teachers, administrators, other parents, other high school kids, stage crew, directors, you name it...all pointed out to me that I was professional, mature and not like the other kids. I don't condone what CM B did and how she treated you guys. I understand how frustrations from either work or personal life can build up and explode due to one little thing like some of the students being late. Tardiness is one of my biggest pet peeves (which has been been since I was a freshman in high school). I used to work with high schoolers in my former career so I "get" teenagers and how they can be. Yes, you guys weren't the Philharmonic so the topic of teenagers not being held to that caliber of standard is a valid argument. You can just learn from this experience and know that the CM B wasn't necessarily being professional herself.
    I am the same way! That's one of the main reasons I felt so guilty for being tardy and having wardrobe malfunctions. I'm the concertmaster of the orchestra, so I was trying to help facilitate our performance as much as I could. This event bothered me more so than any of my peers when I was talking to them about it afterwards, and I think it's mainly because I really did want professionalism when I was performing at DCA. My guilt for not being professional clashed with the feeling that I hadn't been treated right for a while, resulting in this almost-trip-report to be typed out five days after our visit.

I performed at the Carnation Plaza Gardens stage 3 times in the 90's as a piano accomapanist for a middle school choir. Everything worked out very well for us, starting with the orientation at the building near Circle D ranch and continuing on for the performance on all three occasions. The CMs were kind, patient and quite professional.

By the way, Happy Birthday, jcruise86!

• Substitute Princess

Quote Originally Posted by TrueLifeAdventurer View Post
    I performed at the Carnation Plaza Gardens stage 3 times in the 90's as a piano accomapanist for a middle school choir. Everything worked out very well for us, starting with the orientation at the building near Circle D ranch and continuing on for the performance on all three occasions. The CMs were kind, patient and quite professional.

By the way, Happy Birthday, jcruise86!
    That's always been my experience as well, with Disneyland. This was my first time performing at DCA, and I have to say I prefer Disneyland's backstage by a long shot. Even the things we see while walking from the dressing rooms to the stage was a lot more interesting. DCA's just seemed... sad.

Happy Birthday jcruise86! I hope your day was lovely and magical!

I have performed at DCA as well with my school. The CM was a very nice guy, and we had the complete opposite experience as you guys. Hope if you do it again, it will be a better experience!
    *Former Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean Online" Player
    *Disney Addict
    *Favorite Character: Pinocchio
    *Disneyland Visits: 25

To clarify, you still had to audition to be invited. They picked our audition, so I suppose that's why our conductor didn't do anything except just apologize and hurry us along.

I sent in an email today, with your encouragement as well as other Micechatters. I can't seem to find the contact information with anyone higher up, for obvious reasons, so I'm hoping that someone will personally reply with some sort of affirmation that something will be done about it. I would hate for any other high schools to get the same treatment.

I am the same way! That's one of the main reasons I felt so guilty for being tardy and having wardrobe malfunctions. I'm the concertmaster of the orchestra, so I was trying to help facilitate our performance as much as I could. This event bothered me more so than any of my peers when I was talking to them about it afterwards, and I think it's mainly because I really did want professionalism when I was performing at DCA. My guilt for not being professional clashed with the feeling that I hadn't been treated right for a while, resulting in this almost-trip-report to be typed out five days after our visit.
    It's quite rare for anyone at that age to have a grown up attitude and maturity. I know I've ragged on that age group a lot on these threads. You have proved that my stereotyping needs to stop, so thank you! Keep up your positive attitude!

• Minion

Am I the only one who doesn't see something wrong? This is how it goes in the entertainment business. I'm sure Disney has certain regulations regarding shoes...etc for safety and appearance standards. I'm sure these were all given to your instructor before and just not reiterated properly. I was in Disney entertainment for years and have my BFA. When it comes to performance everyone has to listen, and if you have to get peoples attention you have to use whatever means necessarily, or you don't perform...simple as that.
    Jeff Wayne

• Substitute Princess

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't see something wrong? This is how it goes in the entertainment business. I'm sure Disney has certain regulations regarding shoes...etc for safety and appearance standards. I'm sure these were all given to your instructor before and just not reiterated properly. I was in Disney entertainment for years and have my BFA. When it comes to performance everyone has to listen, and if you have to get peoples attention you have to use whatever means necessarily, or you don't perform...simple as that.
    I understand that Disney has tight standards, and my school was trying their best to resolve all the necessary problems. My point of this was simply that there's a correct way to deal with these sorts of occasions, as CM "A" exemplified.

A quick update: Disney has followed up my email with a phone call and assured me that my email was received, and that a copy of it was sent over to the entertainment department at DCA. They told me they would not be following up with the email past the phone call, but wanted to thank me for voicing my concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    It's quite rare for anyone at that age to have a grown up attitude and maturity. I know I've ragged on that age group a lot on these threads. You have proved that my stereotyping needs to stop, so thank you! Keep up your positive attitude!
    Thank you so much for saying that! It means a lot to me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast