Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

•   
    • Minion

Re: My Experience Performing at DCA

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't see something wrong? This is how it goes in the entertainment business. I'm sure Disney has certain regulations regarding shoes...etc for safety and appearance standards. I'm sure these were all given to your instructor before and just not reiterated properly. I was in Disney entertainment for years and have my BFA. When it comes to performance everyone has to listen, and if you have to get peoples attention you have to use whatever means necessarily, or you don't perform...simple as that.
    I don't thi k anyone is protesting the dress code or performance standards, just the way the cast member dealt with it. Screaming at the kids and insulting them really isn't very professional. Especially since we are talking about volunteer performers who aren't adults.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Singing Drinker

Am I the only one who doesn't see something wrong? This is how it goes in the entertainment business. I'm sure Disney has certain regulations regarding shoes...etc for safety and appearance standards. I'm sure these were all given to your instructor before and just not reiterated properly. I was in Disney entertainment for years and have my BFA. When it comes to performance everyone has to listen, and if you have to get peoples attention you have to use whatever means necessarily, or you don't perform...simple as that.
    From my experiences performing at various local music venues and festivals, the behavior of CM B was NOT normal. You don't run into an attitude like that without also running into an entire staff that will tell you how much so-and-so is a jerk, how to deal with them and work around them etc., and they're usually not there the next time we play.

This is not to get down on stage managers or the tech crews that run these things. They are almost 100% across the board professional angels whose only desire is to get you in the building, onstage, and on your way with the least amount of drama and fuss. Coming into the situation with an attitude and confrontation just makes things worse, as it usually does in any conflict. EVERY performance is going to be fraught with errors, miscues, late arrivals etc. - yelling just makes everyone edgier and screws with the performance on stage.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I don't thi k anyone is protesting the dress code or performance standards, just the way the cast member dealt with it. Screaming at the kids and insulting them really isn't very professional. Especially since we are talking about volunteer performers who aren't adults.
    Call me bias but I will say that B's behavior seems very typical of people involved in Performing Arts of any sorts. People like that become so obsessed with perfection in their shows and performances that they'll blow their top at even the slightest flaw. My show choir teachers were basically people like this, Broadway director wannabes who demanded absolute perfection in everything. If that is really how musical theater really is then I'm glad I didn't go forward with it.

I do think B was harsh on your group considering you were a guest band and not major performers. Plus there was no rehearsal prior to the event I take it? Perhaps B assumed there was or something.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spanky View Post
    Happy Birthday!
    . . . but thank you, Scarlet Spanky!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Call me bias but I will say that B's behavior seems very typical of people involved in Performing Arts of any sorts. People like that become so obsessed with perfection in their shows and performances that they'll blow their top at even the slightest flaw. My show choir teachers were basically people like this, Broadway director wannabes who demanded absolute perfection in everything. If that is really how musical theater really is then I'm glad I didn't go forward with it.

I do think B was harsh on your group considering you were a guest band and not major performers. Plus there was no rehearsal prior to the event I take it? Perhaps B assumed there was or something.
    YYMV, but I think the first thing is that this CM was essentially a stage manager, not a director or choreographer. Their job is to call the show and ensure that everything goes smoothly, that the kids adhere to any rules or regulations, etc. This group already had a conductor and a concertmaster, neither of whom seem to have been hot under the collar the way the CM was.

Plus, I have never known a professional stage manager to have behavior like B - and I've had experience working in professional theater and film. If a performer does something wrong, they get a note, a discussion with the stage manager. etc. They don't get screamed at. If a stage manager screamed or insulted a professional performer, it could warrant a grievance filed with Equity, the Musicians' Union or SAG, frankly. Everyone who works on a set or on a stage is entitled to the same respect as anyone working in any other place of business.

And these kids were also entitled to be treated respectfully. From what the OP said they were all trying to follow directions; they just didn't receive the directions and were honestly confused.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123