Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: A Return to Ticket Books

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Not sure you could get consumers to go for ticket books again after having what 2 or 3 generations of consumers now who have never used them at a theme park.
    This.

Favorite DL Ride:
    Splash Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion
    Favorite DLCA Ride: Radiator Springs Racers

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    I would never return to DLR again.
    See, it's working already.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    A lot of the talk of overcrowding focuses on how bad the lines get for the major "E" ticket attractions.

This is countered by many examples of how during those massive waits, many other rides are running radically under capacity.

It makes sense, really. You have no restriction beyond inconvenient wait times to restrict how many people can ride once they're through the gates, and the "E" tickets are designated that for a reason.

So, how about a return to ticket books? Let's grab that baby and get to tossing some bathwater.

Free park admission, free use of restaurants, shops and paid attractions (no, not free lunch, just not requiring a gate fee to shop/dine), tickets in the traditional A-E structure for everything else.

Thoughts? I can see how this would reduce the lines in the major crunch attractions while also increasing the utilization of the "lesser" rides.

You can't allow free admission because that would make crowds horrible... and you will have to find some way of requiring tickets for shows, I don't know... maybe make the first showing of Fantasmic an E ticket and the second one a D ticket.... unfortunately while you could enforce it for allow people into the taped off areas you would still have too many people just lingering in the areas causing over crowding.

The more I think about it the I'm convinced that the real problem is just the APs that often only come for the shows... but when you can't get rid of the APs your only other option is to stop the shows.... it would save money and reduce crowds... and after you've seen one parade you've really seen them all.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Not sure you could get consumers to go for ticket books again after having what 2 or 3 generations of consumers now who have never used them at a theme park.
    Sure you could.

Step 1) Eliminate all levels of multi-day passes and charge everyone the same C-note to enter with unlimited access to rides and attractions.

Step 2) Offer an alternative to the POP (Pay One Price) admission, say maybe $55 for entry and 10 attractions (3 E, 3 D, 2 C, 1 B, and 1 A)

This way gluttons can still chug-a-lug away (for a price) and those who don't want to pay for more rides than they really wish to experience can do so too.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Special Agent

Not really sure this would work as I am sure the conditions that caused it to be removed still exist. Older attractions are so devalued now that they would need to be offered for free or replaced entirely.

Or there would be an even bigger push to modernize older attractions to draw a bigger crowd and justify expenses. Rides like Pirates and Small World would almost certainly need to be completely revamped while Tiki and Lincoln just disappeared.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Not really sure this would work as I am sure the conditions that caused it to be removed still exist. Older attractions are so devalued now that they would need to be offered for free or replaced entirely.
    Or they could start a campaign of refurbishing the older rides, such as has been rumored to be on the way. I honestly entirely forgot that rumor when I started this thread - it's a good example of a way to try to siphon the crowds away from the E tickets through choice rather than coercion.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Special Agent

Refurbishing older rides really only works to the parks benefit if they have capacity that isn't being utilized. Adding Jack Sparrow to Pirates, updating the Mansion and adding characters to Small World are good examples of modernizing to the point of increasing utilization. But those changes have been highly controversial with the fan community.

Updating Snow White and Pinocchio would make sense as their capacity doesn't seem to be fully utilized, but updating Toad and Pan would just end up leaving folks who couldn't ride unhappy at the end of the day.

There is however a lot of underutilized attraction capacity at DLR that would need to be analyzed in a pay-per-ride scenario. I'm not sure there is a whole lot that can be added to the Main Street Vehicles or Mark Twain to make them exciting enough to charge even just $1 for a ride. At least nothing that doesn't involve characters or lasers.

• Special Agent

And also let us no discount re-ride ability. When the park was fairly young ticket books worked because few people had been to and/or experienced the attractions of Disneyland. Would a guest be willing to pay a premium price to ride Pirates for a second time, or a 10th time, or a 50th time?

• "Always On The Move..."

I don't get where people are saying that with ticket books it was free admission. I have three complete books and there is an admission ticket (can't remember the cost and they are packed away), but there was a cost for admission. I remember the tickets and how after your ran out of (especially E tickets) that you had to go get in line to purchase additional ones. And sometimes those lines were long! So, I'm one that has "been there, done that" and has no desire to return to the tickets.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by Mackster View Post
    You can't allow free admission because that would make crowds horrible... and you will have to find some way of requiring tickets for shows, I don't know... maybe make the first showing of Fantasmic an E ticket and the second one a D ticket.... unfortunately while you could enforce it for allow people into the taped off areas you would still have too many people just lingering in the areas causing over crowding.

The more I think about it the I'm convinced that the real problem is just the APs that often only come for the shows... but when you can't get rid of the APs your only other option is to stop the shows.... it would save money and reduce crowds... and after you've seen one parade you've really seen them all.
    Simple solution: make a new rule that APs can't use their first entrance after 5 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Sure you could.

Step 1) Eliminate all levels of multi-day passes and charge everyone the same C-note to enter with unlimited access to rides and attractions.

Step 2) Offer an alternative to the POP (Pay One Price) admission, say maybe $55 for entry and 10 attractions (3 E, 3 D, 2 C, 1 B, and 1 A)

This way gluttons can still chug-a-lug away (for a price) and those who don't want to pay for more rides than they really wish to experience can do so too.
    The problem I see here is that the crowding could get worse. Any drop in effective price would see even more increases in admission, and the grand experiment that is striking the correct balance with this method without a huge price increase (which would get blasted as a way to increase prices) would be fraught with peril.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    Simple solution: make a new rule that APs can't use their first entrance after 5 PM.
    That's actually an interesting idea, but it would be very very unpopular. You would really upset a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    Make Annual Passes good for 12 admissions in a 12 month period. That's it.
    Madge, obsessive Disney freak!
    How everyone sounds singing "Let It Go"

Quote Originally Posted by second blue teacup View Post
    Kind of extreme but I always liked the idea of a system where you get a certain amount of uses.

But people talk of the premium disney experience. No matter how you sell the ticket books, there is nothing premium about them. Most things in life with pay as you go are perceived as the exact opposite(Pay as you go cell plans, southwest airlines, carnivals, etc).
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by second blue teacup View Post
    While I think this is probably a fair idea, they would only be able to get people to pay for this if they lowered the price of an AP. It's not a good value at current prices. They would probably have to eliminate blackout days as well. This could actually lead to them having to lower General Admission tickets as well. I think that this would cause a huge drop in revenue for the company and that's why it would only be wishful thinking.

"I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch View Post
    I don't get where people are saying that with ticket books it was free admission.
    Disneyland always had an admission charge. Knott's did not until 1968, but they started as a restaurant and slowly added the Ghost Town buildings and rides.

I don't want the return of ticket books (my family always went to the annual State employees' private party so I rarely had to use them) but it might be interesting if there was a special event some time where tickets were required. It might be fun. Or not.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast