Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tower of Terror Reduced Capacity

This past week Tower of a Terror has only been using two elevatior shafts while doing maintenance on the third one. This is REALLY backing up the Fastpass and standby lines and also the lines inside the boiler room. There was also no sign indicating this at the entrance, and the only way I could tell of this was the fact that at one point TOT had a longer line than RSR!

There's gotta be a solution to this: give out fewer fast passes on the reduced capacity days, place a sign out front warning people, or NO fast passes whatsoever on those days. The standby line wasn't moving. I stared at all the switchbacks for about 10 minutes and it didn't move an inch!

What should they do about this problem?

• Can Only Wish For More!

Re: Tower of Terror Reduced Capacity

Nothing. This is just part of regular maintenance and everyday operations.

Patience, please!
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• Zephyr Pilot

They adjust the wait time sign accordingly.

• Certified DL Addict

Disney wants to give the idea that all of their rides work perfectly all the time and never need maintance... otherwise they think it ruins the magic. That's why creative walls are always put up for long-term renovation projects outdoors. I don't think they'd ever announce they were working on an elevator shaft and therefore had a reduced capacity, they'd just adjust the wait time like the poster above me said.

Plus I think the normal tourist would be a bit concerned if they heard one of the elevator shafts were "down for maintance" as they'd start wondering what happened and if the other ones were safe, etc.

I'm pretty sure, and maybe a CM could confirm or correct this, that the FP are regulated based on capacity. So if they had an elevator down they should set the system to have a reduced number of FP. But I could be wrong.
    2014 Gumball Rally Team- Skyway Sweethearts
    *~Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder~*

Quote Originally Posted by Krillinish View Post
    They adjust the wait time sign accordingly.
    LIES. When I returned with my Fastpass the entire outside queue was about 90% full and the posted wait was 35 min. Even with my Fastpass it took me 25 min, so there was NO WAY that was right.

Six Flags never has a problem putting a sign out saying the ride is only running one train due to maintenance. And I've seen signs at Toy Story Mania that said 1/2 capacity today, and Soarin that said 1/3 capacity. And yes, Soarin was only using part of one theater.

Seems easy to put a sign out that says "to ensure your future enjoyment of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror for years to come, the attraction is operating at a reduced capacity so the wait times may be longer than usual." Or even something like "we are upgrading some of our rooms so your wait may be longer than usual"

Sorry, Tower of Terror is my favorite ride so I don't like when they do the refurb in the middle of summer. Should be in the winter in my opinion.

And well even if they were giving out fewer FPs, it wasn't few enough, as the FP people were the only ones getting on the ride basically!

Quote Originally Posted by the702senior09 View Post
    I'm pretty sure, and maybe a CM could confirm or correct this, that the FP are regulated based on capacity. So if they had an elevator down they should set the system to have a reduced number of FP. But I could be wrong.
    It depends on how well the Managers/CMs running Fastpass listen to the attraction. At Racers, there have been days where we open with only 23 cars but I doubt they give out Fastpass for only 23 cars since the expectation is that Maintenance will be able to get that number up to 27, 28, or 29 cars. In addition, if the Managers know that we a lot of downtime the previous day and that we'll be accepting Fastpasses from previous day then they lower the amount the Fastpasses. Oh, and I'm pretty sure they've increased Fastpass for peak season due to less APs and their DAS cards.

Since Tower of Terror is fairly consistent I doubt they fluctuate their Fastpass that much. From what I've seen is that they'll typically adjust their pulsing in the lobby if there's a Fastpass backup that extends through the garden switchback. As they adjust the pulsing they increase the posted stand-by wait. That's why with Fastpass attractions it's extremely hard to look at the line and determine how long you'll wait since you have no idea what the pulsing rate, Fastpass back-up, and current capacity is.

Every Fastpass attraction is supposed to send a Flik card at least every 10 minutes (5 for Racers) so we have tons of data points to help us post accurate stand-by waits that are within 5-10 minutes 90% of the time. I did read a report the other day from the Cars Land opening year and the Racers stand-by wait was only accurate <40% of the time due to all the downtimes. However, I remember Space Mountain wasn't that much of an improvement when you consider their lack of downtimes. Now that Racers behaves a lot better it's possible we've surpassed Space Mountain in terms of wait time accuracy, although the hordes of DAS cards we get compared to Space Mountain might still place us in last.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by LaMapa View Post
    This past week Tower of a Terror has only been using two elevatior shafts while doing maintenance on the third one. This is REALLY backing up the Fastpass and standby lines and also the lines inside the boiler room. There was also no sign indicating this at the entrance, and the only way I could tell of this was the fact that at one point TOT had a longer line than RSR!

There's gotta be a solution to this: give out fewer fast passes on the reduced capacity days, place a sign out front warning people, or NO fast passes whatsoever on those days. The standby line wasn't moving. I stared at all the switchbacks for about 10 minutes and it didn't move an inch!

What should they do about this problem?
    Get rid of FastPass.
    There. Standby Line will move a little faster now.
    If guests don't want to stand in line, then they won't stand in line. No guns to anyone's head.

Second solution: Build another elevator shaft.
    There. Always be three going and one on maintenance.

But, yes, your solution is perfectly cromulent. 2/3 of fastpasses distributed on one-shaft-down days.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Sometimes Tower is just slow loading. Even with Fastpass, the time from entry to exit can be about a half hour. Also, I've seen the outside queue full with a 40 minute posted wait time, so 35 minutes doesn't seem that far off.
    "I know this is probably your first flight, and it's...mine too!"

• Minion

It's summer, a sign outside isn't going to stop people from coming in and the wait times are approximate as anything can happen. A 40 minute+ line is normal for TOT in the summer.
    Jeff Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by nerdycm View Post
    Oh, and I'm pretty sure they've increased Fastpass for peak season due to less APs and their DAS cards.

Is the DAS system being abused the way GAC was and how do you know it`s the AP holders, is it because there is less problem during AP blockout days?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryp49 View Post
    Is the DAS system being abused the way GAC was and how do you know it`s the AP holders, is it because there is less problem during AP blockout days?
    Slightly off-topic but yes, it's starting to approach GAC levels on Friday nights in the off-season when no APs are blocked. Whether it's abuse or not is for a whole different thread. In general, since the start of the massive summer blockouts I've only noticed 3-5 familiar faces on DAS cards versus the 10-12 familiar faces I kept seeing on Friday nights in the off-season.(I make an effort to check the picture on the DAS card since that's what we're supposed to do but apparently some attractions aren't doing this as well, which is understandable since DAS cards are rarer for them.)

Quote Originally Posted by LaMapa View Post
    LIES. When I returned with my Fastpass the entire outside queue was about 90% full and the posted wait was 35 min. Even with my Fastpass it took me 25 min, so there was NO WAY that was right.
    Wait time posting at Disneyland is reactive, not proactive. Wait times for popular attractions are measured by those red cards handed out by attraction greeters, and they measure how long from one scan outside to one scan inside.

The problem is that once a card is scanned back in, then the you have the wait time for that one particular guest, but in the meantime the end of the line could have fluctuated a lot. Maybe another nearby attraction just went down and a ton of people joined the line. If you're part of that group that's joining the line, the wait time sign may say 30 mins, but may actually be 45 due to the large number of people that just joined. By the time one red card reaches the end, its total could be way off.

There's no way for the red cards to know all of this, of course, so the computer program that manages all of this operates on an average of many different scans. Hopefully, if the greeters are sending out enough red cards and they're all being scanned properly, then the wait time posted will average out to near what the actual wait time is.
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

You'd think with big data they could know that a single file line to 'x' point with 'x' trains running would mean 'x:xx' minutes wait roughly, that could then be confirmed by the red cards. There seem to be too many weak spots with the current system.

It would all have to be based on averages and whatnot, but if you know the average people on each car and the number of people joining the line at a certain rate, the math is quite easy.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdycm View Post
    and that we'll be accepting Fastpasses from previous day
    How long has this been going on? I've been on these boards for years and have never heard of a FastPass being used on a different day.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    How long has this been going on? I've been on these boards for years and have never heard of a FastPass being used on a different day.
    Agreed. I skimmed over that comment and am very interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast