Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Singing Drinker

Re: social club vests

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    I can't understand wanting to belong so much. I don't really get SCs. I would love to meet some of my online friends at DLR and solidify the relationship, but I am somewhat of a loner being a only child, and don't really feel the need to "belong"
    Honestly, kinda my reaction too. "Togetherness and bonding? RUN!". I don't get 'em, but I'll still defend their right to be there so long as Disney continues to allow them in.

I *do* get a certain amusement out of seeing kids in line dressed almost *exactly* like I used to get turned away at the gate for (seriously, kids? I'm over 40 and you're rebelling with LITERALLY THE EXACT SAME MUSIC FROM THE EXACT SAME BANDS that I did. Work on that), but that's a different group than the SCs entirely.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Minion

Honestly i don't care how other people enjoy the park. This petition against these is really dumb IMO. I have never had an issue with any group of people in the park!

•   
    • Minion

Interestingly enough, Mensa also has a social group that is a takeoff on the bikers, at least in name.

Name:  5fb5ec90-77a2-11e3-94de-e8068a343c05.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  111.1 KB
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Certified DL Addict

I find it interesting that something as simple as a demin vest with patches creates this much animosity and sterotyping. And the demin vests are very easy for them to attach patches and pins to.

I think this is more of these people's general style instead of an actual show of rebelion or trying to look bad to the bone type of thing. It seems like a lot of the members have a rock-a-billy style and the demin just fits with their hair/make-up and the guys go along with it because it's easy.

I mean what do people want them to wear? Matching cardigans? Personalised Sweatpants? Hoodies that all have the same logo? They chose demin vests, it's not the end of the world.

I think they look nice and I hope one day to click with an SC and join, but I haven't really interacted too much with them in person.
    2014 Gumball Rally Team- Skyway Sweethearts
    *~Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder~*

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by the702senior09 View Post
    I find it interesting that something as simple as a demin vest with patches creates this much animosity and sterotyping. And the demin vests are very easy for them to attach patches and pins to.

I think this is more of these people's general style instead of an actual show of rebelion or trying to look bad to the bone type of thing. It seems like a lot of the members have a rock-a-billy style and the demin just fits with their hair/make-up and the guys go along with it because it's easy.

I mean what do people want them to wear? Matching cardigans? Personalised Sweatpants? Hoodies that all have the same logo? They chose demin vests, it's not the end of the world.

I think they look nice and I hope one day to click with an SC and join, but I haven't really interacted too much with them in person.

Hmmm, not bad, not bad. You may be on to something. Sweatpants. Easily expandable for all that overeating. Stretchy for all of that in & out of ride vehicles. Easy to roll up when it gets hot. Dry easily when soaked…..um, not so much. Never mind.

Here's the way I see it. Within the parameters of Disney's 'dress code' you can wear whatever you like. If you choose to wear something that seems to identify with a less than savory segment of the population, whatever, dude (or dudette). But you also need to realize that IF (and that's only an IF) some of your cohorts begin to garner a bad rep due to their behavior you will be tarred with the same brush by certain members of the public. No reason to ban the apparel itself, but time to kick those miscreants (whether in 'cuts' or formal wear) out of the park.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Hmmm, not bad, not bad. You may be on to something. Sweatpants. Easily expandable for all that overeating. Stretchy for all of that in & out of ride vehicles. Easy to roll up when it gets hot. Dry easily when soaked…..um, not so much. Never mind.
    There needs to be a princess sweatpants gang. PLEASE let this be a thing, and Ricky Brigante will be their president in no time.

Then again, OC mom's aren't too far off from this anyway...

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Brisk View Post
    There needs to be a princess sweatpants gang. PLEASE let this be a thing, and Ricky Brigante will be their president in no time.

South OC for sure..

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I *do* get a certain amusement out of seeing kids in line dressed almost *exactly* like I used to get turned away at the gate for (seriously, kids? I'm over 40 and you're rebelling with LITERALLY THE EXACT SAME MUSIC FROM THE EXACT SAME BANDS that I did. Work on that), but that's a different group than the SCs entirely.
    Hehehe ... I go through that, too.
    I'll always remember (many) years ago when some friends were refused entry because two of the girls had magenta Crazy Color hair dye and matching magenta sweatshirts. They were told that Disneyland did not allow people into the park in costume...
    and every time I see someone walking around with a mohawk, with the look at me/don't look at me stance ... loool ... remembering people I knew with similar do's way back when ...
    Name:  s-DARBY-CRASH-large.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  14.4 KB

Weird, I never associated punk with gang. My brother has a big leather jacket covered with spikes and a jeaned vest with spikes and patches all over it. He likes the punk scene. Yes he can be a rude little ****, but get him around relatives or other people's parents or children and he has total respect and courtesy. People say he's like a completely different person when he's with kids.
    Maybe this look is similar to a man wearing women's slacks.. (if you get the reference, high-five!)
    I think a petition to get all the butts covered up would be better. I get enough butt in my face from the cats in this house! :P

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    I can't understand wanting to belong so much. I don't really get SCs. I would love to meet some of my online friends at DLR and solidify the relationship, but I am somewhat of a loner being a only child, and don't really feel the need to "belong"
    This is close to what I have always found most disturbing about the social clubs. Reading about some of the rules and membership requirements shows that it not just a group of friends with a shared interest.

I'm a little curious of how the Disneyland park policy applies to different groups? When I was a high school senior I and four other friends arrived at Disneyland wearing our varsity football lettermen jackets and were told we could not enter the park wearing them. When asked about the policy the gate supervisor told us they allow letterman jackets but not when they are with a group of people. He said the reason was because of "rivalries" and problems in the past. I was astounded by the policy as we were all 'clean-cut' all American looking guys and not gang members or anything like that; but we all complied without complaint despite it being a cold winter day in December.

Ironically we all ended up buying matching sweatshirts inside the park so we obviously looked like a "group". Then to even further illustrate the silliness of the policy we saw a much larger group of middle aged people wearing Ohio State University "Buckyeyes" football attire who were in town for the upcoming Rose Bowl game in Pasadena.

So my question is: at what point are matching vests, jackets etc. considered "colors" as in a negative ganglike reference? If a group of "1%" patch wearing bikers showed up would they be turned away?

Does Disney still turn away guys in letterman jackets?

Will they ban Red Hat Society ladies next?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    ROFL!

In regards to the letterman jackets, if that the CM told you that it was in response to specific incidents, it sounds as if they were doing damage control. If they were having issues with high schoolers in those jackets who were fighting with other kids from different schools with different jackets, I can see why they would want to ban high schoolers in groups from wearing them, at least temporarily.

I actually do remember incidents like that in one of the schools I went to; if a group of the sports guys were out in their jackets and ran across a group of sports guys from another high school in their jackets, it did lead to verbal and sometimes physical altercations.

And maybe that's the crux of it: if Disney has tangible evidence that specific attire has caused violent incidents in the park, they will ban it or put a temporary moratorium on it. It seems not only to be about the attire itself, but who is wearing it and in what context.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    And maybe that's the crux of it: if Disney has tangible evidence that specific attire has caused violent incidents in the park, they will ban it or put a temporary moratorium on it. It seems not only to be about the attire itself, but who is wearing it and in what context.
    Thank you!

The SCs inadvertently (who knows, maybe intentionally, I've never asked, didn't seem important) selected a style that triggers some people and provides an easy target for others looking for something to dislike.

The park? Doesn't mind. Until they see actual incidents involving them to the point they feel SCs are a problem, they probably will continue to not mind.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Brisk View Post

I'm game if you are. What shall we call ourselves? The Princess Comfy-Pants Crew?

Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    It will never happen. Even Disney doesn't want to run afoul or those ladies!! Have you ever seen an angry Red-Hatter? I'd rather face down a rabid cobra!!!!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast