View Poll Results: Will a Star Wars Land be as amazing as the Harry Potter lands at Universal?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck yes, in fact, it will be BETTER!!!

12 44.44%
  • No way, Potter rules!

15 55.56%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Star Wars Land vs. Harry Potter Land

Star Wars can be amazing but to do so would require taking over a large portion of one of the parks. I just don't think Disney will provide the opportunity for us to compare a Starwars land with Harry Potter, at least not on the west coast. A ride or two maybe, but a whole land that compares to what Universal is doing? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by AZDisney View Post
    Star Wars can be amazing but to do so would require taking over a large portion of one of the parks. I just don't think Disney will provide the opportunity for us to compare a Starwars land with Harry Potter, at least not on the west coast. A ride or two maybe, but a whole land that compares to what Universal is doing? Probably not.
    Yeah, that is probably what will happen, which is a shame. Stars Wars needs a lot of space to do it properly.

• Heavy Breather

My only real hope is that they do a Star Wars themed land justice. The franchise means a lot to me, and I don't want to see it value imagineered.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by SSG View Post
    Yeah, that is probably what will happen, which is a shame. Stars Wars needs a lot of space to do it properly.
    What do you mean by "do it properly?" People have been quite happy with Star Tours all these years, so why would they suddenly need 60 acres of space to do something properly?

Is the implication is that *everything* moving forward has to be compared to Harry Potter land, and every IP that exists in the parks has to be a fully immersive land? If that's the case then something like Tomorrowland or Frontierland would already be obsolete.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    What do you mean by "do it properly?" People have been quite happy with Star Tours all these years, so why would they suddenly need 60 acres of space to do something properly?

Is the implication is that *everything* moving forward has to be compared to Harry Potter land, and every IP that exists in the parks has to be a fully immersive land? If that's the case then something like Tomorrowland or Frontierland would already be obsolete.
    Star Tours is a great fix to the planet-hopping nature of the films (people want to see Hoth, Naboo, Coruscant, etc) and a great ride - but how do they do something different for a whole land that captures the width of intergalactic experience without the starspeeder to get you between disparate worlds? That is what people are thinking, doubtless.

Not everything moving forward has to be locked into 'one specific place' to be a themed land - but Disney certainly is doing that too, aren't they? Look at Radiator Springs, Mystic Point, all the realms of Disney Sea (Mysterious Island, American Waterfront, Arabian Coast, Port Discovery, Harambe, Dinoland U.S.A., the area around Expedition Everest, etc) - all single-setting locations that are hyper detailed and all the attractions, shops, entertainment, dining etc are tied into that one overall 'story' of the location. So to say Disney isn't hooked into that premise or that fans might expect a Star Wars based theme park expansion would follow down that road is misjudging the current stated of what is successful and renowned in theme park design - both by fans and the companies running theme parks.

Frontierland as it is at DL is intended to be one location, to boot, I believe and all taking place at the same time - you've got the new town, the rough gold mining operation that founded it and a residential farm out more in the wilderness, plus outliers like the Native American village and cabin along the river. It isn't newly built so level of detail and hyper-themed design varies, of course, but it's as much 'one town' as Mystic Point is one specific set location in theory, and not a mishmash like Disneyland's Fantasyland, for instance.
    Last edited by RegionsBeyond; 07-12-2014 at 10:47 AM.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I have no doubt that Star Wars land will be a hit as long as the execution is right.

But the HP franchise has a huge advantage above all movie lands and that is the shops and restaurants. All of them are detailed and have their own individual environments created straight from the movies and books. People complain about Potter land being a glorified mall but those shops in said mall came straight from the books and movies. Therefore, the shops themselves become like attractions and the merchandise sold fit the environment of each shop adding to the immersion.

It seems to me that the only land in a Disney Park that comes close to rivaling HP's formula is Carsland. The shops and restaurants are from their films as well and are well detailed. Not sure how well the merchandising has hold up though since opening.
    The wizarding cuisine and beverages/ales are quite unique as well as exquisite. It would take considerable effort for the Star Wars universe to compete.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Not every IP has 6 movies, 3 more on the way, and an expanded universe.

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Star Tours is a great fix to the planet-hopping nature of the films (people want to see Hoth, Naboo, Coruscant, etc) and a great ride - but how do they do something different for a whole land that captures the width of intergalactic experience without the starspeeder to get you between disparate worlds? That is what people are thinking, doubtless.

Not everything moving forward has to be locked into 'one specific place' to be a themed land - but Disney certainly is doing that too, aren't they? Look at Radiator Springs, Mystic Point, all the realms of Disney Sea (Mysterious Island, American Waterfront, Arabian Coast, Port Discovery, Harambe, Dinoland U.S.A., the area around Expedition Everest, etc) - all single-setting locations that are hyper detailed and all the attractions, shops, entertainment, dining etc are tied into that one overall 'story' of the location. So to say Disney isn't hooked into that premise or that fans might expect a Star Wars based theme park expansion would follow down that road is misjudging the current stated of what is successful and renowned in theme park design - both by fans and the companies running theme parks.

Frontierland as it is at DL is intended to be one location, to boot, I believe and all taking place at the same time - you've got the new town, the rough gold mining operation that founded it and a residential farm out more in the wilderness, plus outliers like the Native American village and cabin along the river. It isn't newly built so level of detail and hyper-themed design varies, of course, but it's as much 'one town' as Mystic Point is one specific set location in theory, and not a mishmash like Disneyland's Fantasyland, for instance.
    Very good point about Fantasyland. It's the same with Vegas hotels, some go for replicating particular places like Venice and New York and others use theming to evoke a sense of place like Ancient Rome or the italian lakes. I'm sure if it was designed right a Star Wars land could mesh these disparate locals together in the same way that fantasyland blends Alice's England and Pinnocio's italy with a swiss mountain - it doesn't have to exactly replicate hoth or tatooine exactly rather it should make you feel your in a galaxy far far away where you can experience the different attractions etc

• Special Agent

Well correct me if I am wrong, but with a series with the depth of Harry Potter, Universal has chosen just to build out two locations from the series. It isn't that Harry Potter doesn't have other areas and locales to pull from, just that Universal has picked just one or two themes to convey the idea of the whole series. The same can be done with Star Wars.

Diagon Alley is only ONE location from the entire series, and the land itself only takes up the amount of space that the northern half of Tomorrowland does. If Disney could build a Star Wars land on the land currently occupied by Autopia, Innoventions, the Subs and Monorail, it would be about the same size as Diagon Alley (possibly bigger if they utilized the underground space as well).

And as I was mentioning earlier, Disney doesn't have to be tied down to one locale from the movie. If they think they have a better way to integrate the "feel" of the universe in one locale, they can insert that locale into the new movie.

• Not the Hawkguy

Expanded universe is now all non-canon, btw. Anything Disney draws on for a Star Wars land will be from the movies and possibly the recent Clone Wars tv show, but that second part may be a stretch.

Simply that there is a vast amount of source material and iconic Star Wars planets, ships, areas, etc. I personally would like to see a big Star Wars presence at DLR, but I think we will just get a ride and restaurant. And yes, people are happy with Star Tours; that doesn't mean they wouldn't be even happier with even more attractions around it

• Down Pluto!

As long as StarWars Land is it's own separate and new entity, not taking over or replacing Tomorrowland - Then it gets my vote.

Otherwise I become a dedicated Harry Potter fan.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    Expanded universe is now all non-canon, btw. Anything Disney draws on for a Star Wars land will be from the movies and possibly the recent Clone Wars tv show, but that second part may be a stretch.
    What, even the stuff Lucas raided paid loving homage to with some of the more... interesting... ideas for the prequels?
    Woo! Spring is coming!

Well correct me if I am wrong, but with a series with the depth of Harry Potter, Universal has chosen just to build out two locations from the series. It isn't that Harry Potter doesn't have other areas and locales to pull from, just that Universal has picked just one or two themes to convey the idea of the whole series. The same can be done with Star Wars.

Diagon Alley is only ONE location from the entire series, and the land itself only takes up the amount of space that the northern half of Tomorrowland does. If Disney could build a Star Wars land on the land currently occupied by Autopia, Innoventions, the Subs and Monorail, it would be about the same size as Diagon Alley (possibly bigger if they utilized the underground space as well).

And as I was mentioning earlier, Disney doesn't have to be tied down to one locale from the movie. If they think they have a better way to integrate the "feel" of the universe in one locale, they can insert that locale into the new movie.
    Sorry, I should have elaborated. My comment was to respond about every land needing to be immersed in one IP, which I don't think they should be. Most IPs can fit right next to other IPs that fit a similar theme.

Star Wars has so many locations that taking a part of Tomorrowland, ie Autopia and the area around it, to build a land just seems lame. Especially in the context of beating Harry Potter.

Harry Potter is a different beast specially because the books/movies went to the same locations many times. So there is a lot of material that can be used to fill those spaces.

There aren't many IPs like that. I guess Avatar could be if all three of the next movies take place on that one planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    Disney does have another cartoon like Clone Wars coming out. Basic point being that Star Wars isn't just a one off animated Disney film.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12