Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I'm reaching new Horizons

Thumbs down No to a Frozen Attraction (At Least For Now)

I've read plenty of posts about various ideas to incorporate Frozen around the park from retheming of the Matterhorn to major E-Tickets based off of Frozen. I'm probably going against the majority here, but I think that the character meet and greets are where we should stop...

I don't mean in any way that Frozen was a bad movie. I like Frozen (thought I don't think it's as good as Wreck It Raplh was). But the idea of creating an attraction so soon after a movie release is not a strong one. It's not that the attraction could be a bad one (with Disney, it rarely is), but usually attractions are based off something original or a property that has proved to stand as a classic. Remember when we used to put in immediate shows for Aladdin, Pocahontas, Hercules, and Mulan? All of them were big hits, but their shows never had that hook that gave it a reason to continue for a while. Disney never allowed the movie to sink in with the crowd, so that they can get very excited. With most of these shows and parades, it was just catering to a fad. Disney World now that that Beauty and the Beast restaurant, but it wasn't built immediately after the release. They gave the movie time to sink in with the fan base to see if it still holds.

That's not to say that Frozen won't be a classic. It was certainly popular and it's guaranteed to be remembered. If a Frozen attraction is to be built, I'd say to wait until the majority popularity wains to see what people still think of the movie in... 5 years, maybe 10 to see if it's still a monster hit with people. I'm open to a big Frozen attraction if it happens. Just not now.

I have the same issue with putting in Marvel attractions. Are we trying to keep the park timeless or do we plan to go back to the late 90's mentality that everything needs to be "hip and totally cool". We need to think about how future guests will see the park in 20 years.

What are you're thoughts? Do you think Frozen is good enough to justify a full attraction? Do you think it will continue to hook people in?

Be check out my movie review blog at:

Mastermind Film Productions

• "Always On The Move..."

Re: No to a Frozen Attraction (At Least For Now)

I also think that just having a Frozen Meet and Greet is enough for now. I'm in the "wait for 5 or 10 years and see how it holds up category." I finally saw the film (friends took me and paid for it as I had absolutely NO desire to see it after I saw the trailers. A very first for me with ANY Disney film). While it was ok, I was happy that I didn't waste money on it. It just didn't do anything for me. For me it came no where near being a Disney classic. While I understand that people have gone nuts for it, I do hope that they hold off on making it an attraction. There are so many more deserving Disney films out there (Lion King I'm looking at you). So, yes OP, I pretty much agree with everything you said.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Minion

ORWEN: I have nothing against an attraction for FROZEN. But before they build one for that movie, they really need to build one for The Black Cauldron, first. So get in line, Olaf!!!!!

• Minion

ORGOCH: Well, I just wanna' go on record right here an' now by sayin' I knows full well there ain't gonna be no attraction built fer Black Cauldron EVER!! Heck! They's more likely ta build a ride in honor a Howard the Duck than they is fer a turkey like our movie!! So give it up, sister!!!

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORGOCH: Well, I just wanna' go on record right here an' now by sayin' I knows full well there ain't gonna be no attraction built fer Black Cauldron EVER!! Heck! They's more likely ta build a ride in honor a Howard the Duck than they is fer a turkey like our movie!! So give it up, sister!!!
    Ya know, there is a part of me that would really like to see a Howard The Duck attraction. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Minion

ORDDU: Well, if they DO decide to build an attraction with FROZEN in mind I'd like to suggest that it be something like this: Kristoff's Kissing Booth. (And whenever Kristoff has to go on a break I think he should hire Hans to be his substitute kisser...)

• Singing Drinker

I don't feel it's enough to justify an attraction, but also not a fan of the movie and not really sure how much my confusion at the utter void Frozen left in me is poisoning my opinion of the ride. I mean, no connection whatsoever.

IMO the best rides are ones that take the initial story and use that as a building point - I don't believe that Mr. Toad's popularity has anything at all to do with the continued love for Wind in the Willows and it's trendy lack of trendiness, but do believe that it's because they took a property and built a logical extension of the existing characters and storylines to make a really fun spookhouse ride. Indy's the same - strong character, no direct connection to the films beyond referential moments. Not knowing the Raiders series shouldn't affect how well you like the ride.

I just don't see the same connection with Frozen. There isn't a "genre" to hang a ride off of like Toad (madcap motor adventures) or Indy (seriously, you want me to explain how they extrapolated something that could have been lifted straight out of a thirties serial?). There isn't much "thrill" to the movie that doesn't feel tacked on to ensure "thrill" in the movie. You could invent a further justification for the attraction out of whole cloth, but now you're reverse engineering what hopefully started out as a good idea in order to meet a "theme" barrier that it may not fit.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

I'm sorry "Frozen" sucked another "Tangled" BORING!!

• Heavy Breather

I've said this multiple times, but I'll say it again. There are other films that should be higher prioritized at the moment when it comes to dark rides, Beauty and the Beast for example.

I'm sure once all the hype for the film has died down people will take a step back and look at it with a clearer vision. It belongs up there with some of the Disney classics (despite its deviation from source material) so we might get an attraction sometime down the road. Remember, it took over twenty years for The Little Mermaid to get an attraction, and that movie was a big deal when it came out also. It's held the test of time, so let's see if Frozen does the same. I think it will.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I wasn't big on Frozen but it's already proven to be a monstrous hit and will likely be timeless film given the phenomenon. If they wanted to start work on an original attraction based on the film now, it wouldn't bother me. It would take a few years for the attraction to be built anyway.

What I really don't want is for Disney to take one of their currently running attractions and do a quick reskin/retheme of it to "Frozen". That would be a quick shameless cash-in without any heart or thought put into it.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

•   
    • Minion

I still say what they should do to address new releases is make a dark ride that they can switch out for new movies. You place it somewhere in the back of FL like the motorboat area or whatever. When a new classic comes out they can build out the sets for the dark ride and have it move in for the year. Also attach a meet and greet to it to show case the new characters. How much could it possible cost to make those sets for attractions like Snow white etc. I am not saying every Disney film needs to be represented but at least it would give them a spot to test out new franchises and even old ones which have no representation in the parks..

• Poor chicken!

Given how long it took them to build 7DMT in Orlando, I'd say we're safely 5-10 years away from seeing a Frozen attraction, even if they broke ground tomorrow!

I wish they would do a live action Movie of the Black Cauldron instead of maybe Dumbo.
    With all the new advances in technology a new movie could be amazing if filmed in 3D

• Minion

A Lion King attraction is due before a Frozen one. Are there any animated films released since the 1990's that have an attraction in any park? And I mean ride not restaurant or glorified meet and greet.

EDIT: Come to think of it, there is the Aladdin spinners in Orlando, Paris and Tokyo and Tarzan's Tree house but there is no major attraction that I can think of. I mean if they announced a Frozen attraction and it ended up being a spinner or walk-through with plastic models I think people would be pretty disappointed.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I still say what they should do to address new releases is make a dark ride that they can switch out for new movies. You place it somewhere in the back of FL like the motorboat area or whatever. When a new classic comes out they can build out the sets for the dark ride and have it move in for the year. Also attach a meet and greet to it to show case the new characters. How much could it possible cost to make those sets for attractions like Snow white etc. I am not saying every Disney film needs to be represented but at least it would give them a spot to test out new franchises and even old ones which have no representation in the parks..
    Interesting idea. I'm surprised Eisner didn't think of that. I would imagine however that sucj a ride would be more video projection than animatronic. It would be the only way they can afford to keep updating it with every new film.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast