Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Real knight in the Haunted Mansion

Okay, does anyone ever remember seeing the animatronic knight in the HM being replaced by a CM in a suit of armor? I would swear this was an urban legend, except it happened to me...and yes, he scared the pants off me!! I had been on the ride in the past, and knew the animatronic knight was there. Coming face to face with a pacing knight in full armor was quite a shock. This happened roughly 20 years ago (yes, it's been awhile). I swear it happened...I'm not a nonsensical troll . Does ANYONE else remember this happening to them?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Real knight in the Haunted Mansion

Yes, this is real - last occurred in the 1980's though and was short-lived.

Doombuggies has comprehensive coverage - click here!

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Yes, this is real - last occurred in the 1980's though and was short-lived.

Doombuggies has comprehensive coverage - click here!
    Thank you...I wanted to make sure I wasn't nuts!!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

No urban legend. Very much a fact.

Scared the living daylights out of me once. One time I was in the corridor of doors, in the part where the doombuggies are moving backwards. All of a sudden the knight jumped from behind in front of my doombuggy andright in front of my face! I screamed out a certain expletive out of complete shock and what was funny was that the knight made a motion for me to be quiet which irked me a bit because it was a total knee jerk reaction. Anyway its good I was young at the time because my heart was pounding!

• "Always On The Move..."

Yes, he was real and I'm probably part of the reason they no longer have him. While in the Doombuggy the knight reached out and grabbed my shoulder, unfortunately my "fight or flight" instinct kicked in because it scared the holy crap outta me and I instinctively reacted by cold cocking him. My last view of the knight was him completely knocked out and sprawled eagle on the floor. I felt horrible and immediately reported what I did. They called in a lead and told me that he was under no circumstances to touch the guests. So I wound up with an apology and a "it's ok..you reacted understandably" and was sent on my way. I later learned that I was not the only one this happened to and not the only one who reacted the way I did. One of the main reasons the living knights were removed from the attraction. Years later the opportunity arose for me to apologize to the knight who I had hit and he apologized to me saying that he was told not to touch people but thought it was fun to do so. Also said he never did it again after that. As he did remember being completely knocked out by a female guest, I'm assuming it was the same knight. So there you have the behind the scenes of one of the reasons they were taken out.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

I saw him on two different visits in the 80s.

I really wish they'd leave the standard Haunted Mansion up for Halloween time but add live "scare-actors" throughout. I think people nowadays (actors and public) are more savvy to the "Halloween haunt" idea that "the spooks won't touch you and you don't touch the spooks." The live knight in the Mansion was completely unannounced, IIRC, and was a new and unexpected experience for most.

• Loving all things Disney!

I'm so glad that isn't apart of the HM anymore. I hate that kind of stuff! I get scared wayyyy to easily!
    Last edited by CinderellaGirl; 07-10-2014 at 08:20 PM.
    "To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relieves fond memories of he past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."
    - Walt Disney

You can hear a great report on the knight from one of the CMs who actually played in in the Doombuggies Spook Show Podcast, #8. Great to hear first hand account!

DoomBuggies Spook Show #8: Knight tales and the Corridor of Doors

• formerly very helpful

I remember it, and don't miss it. It was the only time I was ever truly shocked on the ride. As much as I LOVE Haunted Mansion, I hate getting scared and shocked. So I never liked the knight. I'm glad it was only there a short time.

Serves him right!!!

• Pox-worthy since 1973

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch View Post
    Yes, he was real and I'm probably part of the reason they no longer have him. While in the Doombuggy the knight reached out and grabbed my shoulder, unfortunately my "fight or flight" instinct kicked in because it scared the holy crap outta me and I instinctively reacted by cold cocking him. My last view of the knight was him completely knocked out and sprawled eagle on the floor. I felt horrible and immediately reported what I did. They called in a lead and told me that he was under no circumstances to touch the guests. So I wound up with an apology and a "it's ok..you reacted understandably" and was sent on my way. I later learned that I was not the only one this happened to and not the only one who reacted the way I did. One of the main reasons the living knights were removed from the attraction. Years later the opportunity arose for me to apologize to the knight who I had hit and he apologized to me saying that he was told not to touch people but thought it was fun to do so. Also said he never did it again after that. As he did remember being completely knocked out by a female guest, I'm assuming it was the same knight. So there you have the behind the scenes of one of the reasons they were taken out.
    So you're the one Jason Surrell wrote about in HM: from the MK to the movies (or as we like to call it, "that which shall not be named")

"You’ll have bad times, but it’ll always wake you up to the good stuff you weren’t paying attention to."

Robin Williams
    July 21, 1951 – August 11, 2014

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I used to know one of the young men who dressed up as the knight inside the mansion and witnessed him in action. He was a gorgeous young man who worked in the entertainment department. We didn't know him all that well--he was more of an acquaintance. But he was quite a looker! He eventually married one of his female cast members who was 'friends' with Princess Aurora at the time. (The young man, himself, had been good friends with Prince Phillip and the Big Bad Wolf.)

• Former Churro Jockey

Yep, scared me too when I was probably 6 or 7 years old. It's actually one of my most vivid memories of going to the parks when I was a kid. It would be fun if they brought him back every great once in a while, maybe in different location around the mansion, just to keep people on their toes...
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

I don't think they would ever bring this back considering the cast member would be within proximity of the moving ride vehicles. I guess they could install a series of safety railings within the Haunted Mansion, but would it really be worth it to have some guy walking around in a suit of armor?

• Minion

yes I too experienced it in the 80's it was definitely a scare!
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast