View Poll Results: what should be done with the fort wilderness at tom sawyers island?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Refurbish it to its original form

50 64.94%
  • Create a ceiling and install a dark ride

5 6.49%
  • install a restaurant

6 7.79%
  • turn it into an amphitheater and have a wild west show

8 10.39%
  • Let it rot, and continue to fall apart.

2 2.60%
  • other.......

6 7.79%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What to do with fort wilderness at Tom Sawyer's Island

the island has gone stale. since jack sparrow left the energy of the island has gone away and has practically become boring. here is a poll for some ideas on how to create some energy for the location that seems to be going to waste.

• Done with MC.

Re: what to do with fort wilderness at tom sawyers island

I know what you mean. On our last trip I never even went to the island.
    Disney should fix up the old fort or use it for something more constructive than a changing room.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

They really need to move the Fantasmic stuff out of there and open it again...

• Minion

Bring it back to its original form, or at least close to it. TSI has never been the same since they shut down the fort. Oh, and get rid of all that pirate junk while you're at it.

• Minion

In its original form Tom Sawyer Island was the greatest playground ever built. I wish they would just go back to that. Fort Wilderness was fun; there was a secret passage out of it. I thought there were real Indians on the other side of the fort and I was scared that they would attack. They really should just restore it to its original state. I could see them selling Tom Sawyer or Daniel Boone merchandise in one corner as long as it didn’t take up too much space.

• world class bilge rat

Give me about 100lbs of dynamite, a few hundred feet of flashcord, one cap, a couple hundred feet of electrical wire and a 12 volt battery.........

And invite every member of TDC executive staff to tour the island.......

I think I could solve more than one problem in less than one second!!!!

Lol.

Seriously though, the last time I was there was about 4 or 5 years ago. It seemed neglected and unkempt. Not interesting at all.

When I was there in the late 70s - early 80s, I remember it being pretty cool.

It needs some restoration; make it some sort of a self-guided adventure. Artifacts from around that era, maybe even something like a Tom and Huck Treehouse.

the thing is that the island has so much potential, from the fort to the closed down tree house. I honestly wish that all of the pirate stuff was gone and that the wilderness challenge at DCA was actually on this site. the wildeness challenge is what tom sawyers island should be, all of the fun active areas from the rope bridges to the rock wall, and the wilderness explorer show with Russell and Kevin create a great visit to that area. that may free up the space in DCA for an other attraction since it would be difficult to put any form of ride on tom sawyers Island.

I don't think refurbishing it back to it's original form would be the best idea. I believe re-purposing it as a restaurant would be pretty neat. The idea of playing in a fort isn't as exciting to children as it used to be. As nice as it would be to see the fort in its original condition, it would probably lose its glamour pretty quickly and people would just lose interest.

• Pox-worthy since 1973

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    Give me about 100lbs of dynamite, a few hundred feet of flashcord, one cap, a couple hundred feet of electrical wire and a 12 volt battery.........

And invite every member of TDC executive staff to tour the island.......

I think I could solve more than one problem in less than one second!!!

EDIT: I think what the OP doesn't realize is that the Fort Wilderness that's on the island right now, isn't even the original fort!

In 2007, after 52 years of Good (Fort Wilderness) vs. Evil (Termites), the Termites won.

What was left of the original fort was torn down a new fort was built as a storage/backstage area for Fantasmic!
    Last edited by PhonyKingOfEngland; 07-11-2014 at 04:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    We'll all be groaning when they install the giant snowflake from Frozen in front of the Chinese Theatre.

Along with "captain", who posted above, I like the idea of re-purposing it as a restaurant. Doesn't have to be elaborate, just a place to get burgers, hot dogs, fries, drinks - and ice cream.

If they haven't got rid of those statues (in the Regimental Headquarters) of Davy Crockett and George Russell talking to Andrew Jackson, you'd have a nice atmosphere in there. After walking and playing on the island, being seated inside the fort having lunch would be a wonderful way to go back in time.

The last time I went to the fort at the Magic Kingdom, I thought it was neat for about 10 minutes. You can shoot guns, see the sights from the second floor and then take the escape tunnel.

• Former Churro Jockey

First of all they need to pick a theme and stick with it. Is it Tom Sawyer's Island or is it Pirate's Lair? If it's Pirate's Lair, then tear down the fort and build some kind of appropriate pirate-themed building instead. If it's Tom Sawyer's, then get rid of the pirates.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by TrueLifeAdventurer View Post
    Along with "captain", who posted above, I like the idea of re-purposing it as a restaurant. Doesn't have to be elaborate, just a place to get burgers, hot dogs, fries, drinks - and ice cream.
    I like this idea....a lot.

• Singing Drinker

Refurbish it, put MORE physical climbing stuff all over it, stuff a sock in the lawyer's mouths, link it to the pirate section with *GASP* SUSPENDED BRIDGES! Beef up the secret exit! Bring back the guns, add in a FREE shooting gallery style selection of targets across the water.

Make it what it was supposed to be, but in a modern era. Blow it up. Build a ride out of it. A restaurant. ANYTHING. Right now it's a depressing pile of plasticized termite poop.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Refurbish it, put MORE physical climbing stuff all over it, stuff a sock in the lawyer's mouths, link it to the pirate section with *GASP* SUSPENDED BRIDGES! Beef up the secret exit! Bring back the guns, add in a FREE shooting gallery style selection of targets across the water.

Make it what it was supposed to be, but in a modern era. Blow it up. Build a ride out of it. A restaurant. ANYTHING. Right now it's a depressing pile of plasticized termite poop.
    Guns and CA are bad Mkay.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast