Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 51213141516 LastLast

• I'm really at the Met.

Re: NoS/33 changes? (Merged Discussion)

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    That is change as well. Is that bad?

Nope. Because that was CLEARLY done by those trained under Baxter and at least have a modicum of talent and taste to mix classic film clips, with projection mapping and new FX. It was RESPECTFUL of the product and legacy of the ride.
    And those of us who have been inside Club 33 will argue the same about those interior changes - heavily influenced by Dorthea Redmond (second only to Mary Blair in her brilliance) and executed with care and designed by the same team that created Carthay Circle, and built by the same people who built Buena Vista Street - people who have a track record of careful and masterful atmospheric imagineering. It is respectful of the original vision and the legacy of the Club up until this point.

The exterior is incomplete, and will not be completed for awhile longer. Passing judgment on that now even as it continues to change is asinine. Making sure Disney knows we're watching, though, is wise.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    I listened. And then I started asking around, and you are right. They are way behind schedule but catching up fast.
    Wasn't directed at you. Clearly you did. Thanks for your poking around though. Far more detail than I had.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    A lot more detail has gone in on both the ground and upper floors, and a lot more painting is taking place. More to come, too!

I'm sure that will change the INSIDE looking like Mimi's on Harbour, Walt's Lift turned into a porta potty and a Ray child's menu from DCL. More to come? How bout..........NO MORE................
    Yes, because that's what it is. A porta potty, in the middle of a dining area. Hyperbole much people?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Beeper View Post
    It looks like an RFID reader...
    It is an RFID reader, the first Touch Point at DLR (the system used at WDW).
    Can Magic Bands and FP+ be far behind?

• I'm really at the Met.

Heritage, my friend, is different from architecture. Interior design is different from architecture as well. And Club 33 was originally decorated in First Empire style - a French style as well.

Art Nouveau is predominantly an objet d'arte movement. The New Club 33 isn't art nouveau architecture - but rather a conglomeration of a "New Orleans that Never Was" just like NOS always has been decorated with art nouveau furnishings here and there to complement the former First Empire style of the Club.

So I have no idea what your complaint is about the Club's interior design except to complain that it wasn't the way "it always was."

But then again I cannot believe I succumbed to entering a flame war.
    Last edited by Circlevision91; 07-19-2014 at 05:44 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Earlier, several posts had to be pruned from this thread for venturing into off-topic waters and personal attacks/broad slams that were not at all conducive to civil conversation. That has happened again.

Please remain civil to fellow members and do not fan the flames of hyperbole.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Not the Hawkguy

This is a bit off topic but good lord do I feel for the moderators here. That's gotta be a rough job.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    The last time i was at a Club 33 EVENT, I was totally unsatisfied with the food. If it weren't for the people at the event, it would have been a total waste.
    Hmm... We loved EVERY last morsel of our meals there... I don't think anything was left on either of our plates or in our glasses... Maybe they catered in or something for the event vs. having the chef make the food?

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Beeper View Post
    This blog has a much better photo of the lift converted into seating space.

First Look and Photo Review: The NEW Club 33 in Disneyland! | the disney food blog

Converting it into a practical use is a great way to re-purpose it so it's not a giant dust catcher plopped down in the wrong environment. I can't wait to see it. And, guess where I'm going to want to sit and enjoy that Diamond Martini.
    Ugh, this post exemplifies why I am done with Micechat. Goodbye all.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Ugh, this post exemplifies why I am done with Micechat. Goodbye all.

Positivity? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Circlevision91 View Post
    Heritage, my friend, is different from architecture. Interior design is different from architecture as well. And Club 33 was originally decorated in First Empire style - a French style as well.

Art Nouveau is predominantly an objet d'arte movement. The New Club 33 isn't art nouveau architecture - but rather a conglomeration of a "New Orleans that Never Was" just like NOS always has been decorated with art nouveau furnishings here and there to complement the former First Empire style of the Club.
    If it is like this, but not this, it is all affectation. That's really the source of the problem now.

Great architecture is worth preserving and repurposing and with some really great buildings the later can be achieved without much sacrifice. With NOS, however, there was no great building or even a consistent style. Consequently, any changes were bound to reveal the limitations and inconsistencies in its original conception.

From the outcome, it seems the designers of the new Club 33 didn't understand the architectural challenges. If they had, they would have expanded the interiors with minimal effect on the exteriors.

Quote Originally Posted by DL714 View Post
    If it is like this, but not this, it is all affectation. That's really the source of the problem now.

Great architecture is worth preserving and repurposing and with some really great buildings the later can be achieved without much sacrifice. With NOS, however, there was no great building or even a consistent style. Consequently, any changes were bound to reveal the limitations and inconsistencies in its original conception.

From the outcome, it seems the designers of the new Club 33 didn't understand the architectural challenges. If they had, they would have expanded the interiors with minimal effect on the exteriors.
    Didn't understand the architectural challenges, or just didn't care that much? And I don't mean that as snarky as it sounds. I just think the executives that approved the project, and those that executed it do not have the same emotional attachment to NOS as many here do. The folks that designed it had a job to do and a budget to do it in, and carried it out as best as they could. But probably without the kind of reverence for the existing exterior aesthetic that some micechatters have. Of course I'm not saying there was zero concern for the exterior and theming. But as a secondary priority to other objectives. And I'm sure it will look much better when it is really finished. And then the Disney defenders will loudly exclaim how amazing it is, and others will lament it, and the rest of us will think we kind of miss the way it used to look and then go about our day at the park.
    Last edited by Steveman; 07-19-2014 at 08:27 PM.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by makhbff View Post
    Positivity? Wow.
    No, the answer was different opinions.

• Minion

What a difference a week makes. Here's a sneak peek at this week's always informative Dateline Disneyland from Andy Castro. datelinedisneyland

But a reminder that it's still not done yet.

This was one of the photos in last Monday's Dateline that caused the uproar.
    Name:  IMG_0773-L.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  144.2 KB

And now the construction walls are down, and wrought iron railings and details have been applied. But there's still construction walls up here, and the paint finishing and propping out of this scene has still not been completed. But it's changed. Here's what this looks like as of this weekend from a similar angle...
    Name:  DSC_1906-L.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  168.5 KB

Or from a different angle...
    Name:  DSC_1954-L.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  177.2 KB

This was another shot that caused online alarm a week ago...
    Name:  IMG_0668-L.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  144.7 KB

Still not finished, with construction walls still up and paint aging/graining and propping still to be completed. This is what it looks like this weekend...
    Name:  DSC_2005-L.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  171.0 KB

Check back in another week to 10 days for the final product.

• Minion

Also not done yet, the infamous off-center window. But at least they patched up the spackle and holes in the wall for this weekend. Stay tuned for the final product!...

Name:  DSC_1215-M.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  145.6 KB

The off center window has an awesome view of fantasmic. I have sat on the other balconies during fantasmic and they have the best view.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 51213141516 LastLast