Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Artistic integrity

Thumbs up 47th Anniversary of Tomorrowland II (picture heavy)

On this month ..... 47 years ago ..... Tomorrowland II debuted to the whole world ... and I dedicate this topic ... to the very best pictures I know of ... of what is still revered today .. as the benchmark version of all!

And my goal here is to present mostly pictures from 1967 ... but with a few exceptions here and there.

Tomorrowland was "officially" open to the public on July 2, 1967

To me ... the very finest, sharpest, color rich photo of Tomorrowland in it's debut summer 1967 opening.....

The silver facade entrance ... still very futuristic to me .. even though it's a shade of beige today.

And now ... a closer look of the Peoplemover ... notice no vehicle rails trying to keep you inside? That came in 1968.

The next few photos also show the Peoplemover with only the path it rides on ... and no emergency exit path mounted to one side of the track .. which also was added on the next year. Peoplemover was down for a good part of 1968 ... to add these safety features on.

We now begin our tour of Tomorrowland's 4 new shows.....................

America The Beautiful actually opened one week early - June 25,1967.........

Come in ... as AT&T's mural guides you into the entrance corridor .. and into the waiting room.....

Once inside the main auditorium ... you are presented with America The Beautiful - reshot in 9-panel 35mm Circle-Vision .. in a much larger auditorium to it's previous 11-panel 16mm '55-'66 version which was in a space half the size of the new one.

Now on to the next major Attraction ....................... though not ready for July visitors - it opened August 5, 1967.

I loved the short "escalator" guide rail ... leading you on to the moving sidewalk to board your atom-mobile.

Anyone recognize who these travelers are, who just finished their adventure .. thru inner space?
    That would be Prince Rainier and his 2 children (I wonder if mom 'Grace Kelly', was there too)

Monsanto's Post Show ....................

Remember the oil lamps from the 1960s? Here it is on a grand scale. While showing off the latest fashions of 1967.

Talk about Hidden Mickey's .... Find the hidden Cartman from South Park.....

Pure coincidence .. of course ... but that image in the center ... I thought WHAT IS THAT? I can't tell what it really is .. but it looks like Cartman with a wicked grin on his face.

I really, really liked the overall art design of the Post Show room. None of Tomorrowland's attractions today ... don't really do anything to capture a futuristic tone ... the way this room did. Especially with the displays where Cartman from South Park can be seen.

And here .. the Character Shop. Years later ... the wall you see above in the Post Show from ATIS ... the wall with the new World Clock ... that wall was opened up .. and people had direct access into the shop ... instead of making a simple left out of ATIS .. and one sharp right turn into the shop. I guess that's just too hard .. now isn't it???

I have more pictures to put up ... my tour will continue of 2 more Tomorrowland Shows .. plus evening shots will follow shortly.....

enjoy this set for now.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 07-13-2014 at 10:14 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• And Dad was my hero.

Re: 47th Anniversary of Tomorrowland II (picture heavy)

Beautiful!! Thank you for sharing this!
    “You know, I have the strangest feeling I've seen that ship before... a long time ago, when I was very young.” ―George Darling

It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell. ― Walt Disney

• Artistic integrity

Because of the shear number of pics I want to put up ... I'm going to wait till this page is full of posts ..and then I'll put more up on Page 2. I counted a total of 66 pictures in all. I should have made it 67 photos. ... Surely though .. loading up some 30 pics on this page alone ...on some people's computers, i-pads, i-phones is playing havoc ... as it's a huge amount of data to upload.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Minion

Awesome photos! Thank you very much for sharing, and for reminding us of this anniversary. I look forward to more!

• MargyDisneylandLover

Please hurry with enough posts people we need part 2!
    My Name Is Margy and I am a mint julepaholic.
    Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    ~* Uncle Walt *~
    2014 gumball rally team: Skyway sweethearts

​Proud premium Annual Passholder since May 2nd, 2014

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by RemainSeatedPlz87 View Post
    Please hurry with enough posts people we need part 2!
    We need to fill up this page with a total of 15 posts. 9 to go.
    MY SIGNATURE:

I remember visiting TL67 about two weeks after it opened. I remember being blown away and my grandfather having to convince me that we would change back to normal size after entering the ATIS. Dumb 7 year old, dumb.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by MRaymond View Post
    I remember visiting TL67 about two weeks after it opened. I remember being blown away and my grandfather having to convince me that we would change back to normal size after entering the ATIS. Dumb 7 year old, dumb.

It would have been approximately a month ... as ATIS didn't begin to operate till August 5 .. and the grand opening to the land was on July 2nd.
    MY SIGNATURE:

• Minion

Thanks for the photos!

How depressing though that Tomorrowland looked better in 1967 than it does today.

Fantastic photos, it reminds me of the Land I loved the most as a kid
    Matthew

• Minion

Thanks fr those great pics.

If you ask me, they should consider going back to the '67 style all over Tomorrowand. Its got a great retro-futuristic feel about it. And it won't feel dated now.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Tourist

My first trip to Disneyland was in August 1967. It was one of the most memorable events of my childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    It would have been approximately a month ... as ATIS didn't begin to operate till August 5 .. and the grand opening to the land was on July 2nd.
    Specifics. I was 7 !! I was a teenager in the 70's. I'm surprised I remember anything from that time.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    Thanks for the photos!

How depressing though that Tomorrowland looked better in 1967 than it does today.
    Agreed. All those bright colors. All those levels with people on them.

We need more photos!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast