Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Re: Do you actually want to experience Club 33?

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    While I'd love an open invite, I can't impose. If I'm planning on going and have the time to do it right, I'd love one, but don't bother saving one of your limited unaccompanied opportunities for me because there are plenty of others who have never been who would love to experience it even post renovation... if there's one left whenever, I will gladly take the opportunity, but please give to the people who've never been before offering to me.
    If you get the invite, you should bring the children too! It is the chance of a lifetime!

I'd probably be happy with a tour, yeah. Hadn't considered that but it would get me what I'm interested in, which is to see the place, since I guess I'm not all that interested in the full dining experience necessarily.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by ravencroft View Post
    If you get the invite, you should bring the children too! It is the chance of a lifetime!
    Maybe the oldest, but all three? NOPE!!!

Maybe the oldest, but all three? NOPE!!!
    Sibling rivalry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google the terms: "Sibling Rivalry" & wiki together. Interesting reading.

• Minion

If you find a member who will put in kids, and your kids are up to it, go for it. The bigger issue I found was for the parents. More than once I have witnessed parents taking kids who are not prepared for it, and it ended up with the parents not enjoying and being able to "take in" the club, and they left with most of their meals boxed to go. Every child is different. I've taken nieces and nephews and even my granddaughter. But I also have nephews I wouldn't even consider (McDonalds is rough!) It is all about knowing your child.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    If you find a member who will put in kids, and your kids are up to it, go for it. The bigger issue I found was for the parents. More than once I have witnessed parents taking kids who are not prepared for it, and it ended up with the parents not enjoying and being able to "take in" the club, and they left with most of their meals boxed to go. Every child is different. I've taken nieces and nephews and even my granddaughter. But I also have nephews I wouldn't even consider (McDonalds is rough!) It is all about knowing your child.
    This. We never even go out to eat at home because the kids are beyond a handful. The infant is the hardest... the older two are of the age that they tend to do OK.

Exclamation Re: Do you actually want to experience Club 33?

I'm going to be Ms. Poppins here: Only if they are properly behaved.

One of the problems under the "old system" was that if a C33 member comped a nonmember and family to Disneyland, that family had to dine at the Club to validate it. In the case of member-unaccompanied parties, this meant parents and kids with no knowledge of Club dress or conduct standards, and who had no personal membership investment or stake in the Club. Increasingly the result was loud, unmannerly behavior by parent-ignored children.

One expects and shrugs this off in McDonald's or Taco Bell. It's different when you've come a long way for an extremely expensive dinner in a private luxury club which costs you substantial dues.

As C33 is located in kid-friendly Disneyland, it was always extremely hard for the staff to deal with this sort of thing. The same people who are blind to their kids' rampaging get outraged if someone else brings this to their attention even extremely politely. So everyone else's dining atmosphere and enjoyment paid the price for their little darlings.

The 2012+ changes solved this by simply removing the C33 dining requirement from comped admissions. Now most families, particularly those on a budget for whom the comp admission indeed makes Disneyland possible, won't spend the megabucks to take everyone to C33. So the "enforced" nonmember-party dining problem is over.

Under the new system a member can still make a quota-limited number of member-unaccompanied C33 reservations. Since these are now all for people who specifically want to dine there, and presumably appreciate the "exclusive experience", incidents of slobs and screaming kids are sharply reduced. But it is something for both members and their unaccompanied friends to think reasonably and maturely about. For instance, members making such reservations should take care to advise the nonmember of the Club standards. [If the nonmember doesn't know these, he/she can hardly be blamed for tripping over them.]

This said, groomed/well-mannered children are always a delight to see in Club 33. Bring 'em on!

In another MiceChat thread we're putting the new C34 menu under constructive-critical examination. We haven't got round to the kids' menu yet, but a quick look suggests to me that there's room for improvement there too [particularly at C34 prices]. We live in an era of fat kids and junk food: deep-fried everything, sugar, and saturated fats. Yes, I know that all of these taste good and are easy to get kids to eat. No, going to C34 shouldn't be a food-nazi bummer for them. But I think that these high-zoot chefs can pixie-dust meals of organics, lots of fresh fruit and tasty veggie, and healthy-cooked entrees. Let's nudge in that direction. Even desserts can be made with organic ingredients, including fresh melons, berries, etc.]
    ______
    Rachane

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rachane View Post
    But I think that these high-zoot chefs can pixie-dust meals of organics, lots of fresh fruit and tasty veggie, and healthy-cooked entrees. Let's nudge in that direction. Even desserts can be made with organic ingredients, including fresh melons, berries, etc.]
    Just a comment here. Organic is not all it is cracked up to be. I know a lot of people really hype organic. Realistically, I will take conventional grown foods. I know enough about it.... I run "Certified Organic" product. 90% of our business is conventional, 10% organic. Why do organic? Because we can charge 2-3x the price for it. I will stay with US grown products, but organic, nope, not worth it.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Just a comment here. Organic is not all it is cracked up to be. I know a lot of people really hype organic. Realistically, I will take conventional grown foods. I know enough about it.... I run "Certified Organic" product. 90% of our business is conventional, 10% organic. Why do organic? Because we can charge 2-3x the price for it. I will stay with US grown products, but organic, nope, not worth it.
    I second that. People tout organic like its the be all end all... I'll leave it.

Kids? I can handle well mannered kids. I've seen good kids at the club and bad. I distinctly remember a couple that used the balcony as a play place, no joke. The balcony was shaking and you could hear them shouting inside. They were wild and the parents ended up leaving "early"... or too late, in my opinion.

I've run into ill-mannered adult patrons at the club too. Drunk patrons that slammed the door into a guest? Yep. Saw it. Another patron who spoke so loudly I knew most of his life's goings on during the three hour dinner? Yep, sat with that guy.

Bad behavior comes in all shapes and sizes at all restaurants.

It's even worse when you're trapped in a small room with them for three hours. At least Wendy's is a twenty minute dine and go.
    The more people I meet the more I like animals. -Unknown

Cool Re: Do you actually want to experience Club 33?

Point well-taken that the label "organic" can be and is misused commercially. If we start getting into the current quality, inspection procedures, etc. of contemporary U.S. & imported food production, this thread will beat the Haunted Mansion for nightmares.

But I think that generally we can and should nudge not just C33 but other DLR muncheries of interest towards safer and healthier food, not to mention humanely sourced [as in free-range, uncaged chicken & eggs]. I get the creeps every time I drive down to DLR on I-5 past that vast, horrific cattle slaughter facility at Coalinga, and no matter how elegantly a beef entree arrives at table, that spectre floats darkly in the air above it. Humans as a species should be able to do better than this, even if it's just incrementally.

Disneyland has always had something of the "magical" about it, as though it's more noble, more virtuous, more uncontaminated that the world outside. For many of us, a trip there is thus an almost religious pilgrimage, and for the same reason leaving it at the end of the day is not am ordinary change of scenery; it's a reluctant descent into the uglier, colder, more cruel world outside.

So I think that when we can hold Disneyland to higher standards of anything, we should. We should not be content with the facade of wonderfulness, but its substance in depth. Or such this aging Mouseketeer learned from Jimme Dodd anyway!

On another current MiceChat thread ("If you owned Disneyland?"), I've already scared everybody with three successive weeks of reforms. I think for Week #4 I'd switch every DLR restaurant to vegetarian, retaining all of the current themes, but with the most exquisite and gourmet dishes on the planet.
    ______
    Rachane

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Rachane View Post
    I think for Week #4 I'd switch every DLR restaurant to vegetarian, retaining all of the current themes, but with the most exquisite and gourmet dishes on the planet.
    Um..... vegatables are what you feed food.

Talking Re: Do you actually want to experience Club 33?

Here's a quick look at what's easily available in the vegetarian/vegan area right outside DLR. If it takes C33 some time to ramp up its on V/V menu, just hook up with one or more of these for quick dining delivery. If like the example I gave in S.F. over in the "C33 Dinner Menu" thread, really gourmet V/V is scrumptious, not to mention good for you.

Um..... vegatables are what you feed food.
    Hmm... Well, happily we could
    satisfy you too.
    ______
    Rachane

• Fallapart in my Backyard

I have never been. I would love to go someday if I ever have the chance. But as a big Disney fan, I do not feel compelled that I have to go.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112