Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

60 year Announcement scaled back

According to Micechat's Editor Note, the announcement this Thursday has been scaled back to include a brief mention of the new parade, Castle show, and fireworks. Very little detail on the Diamond Celebration. Possibly a few pieces of artwork showing the event logo. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think they will only announce very little at the meetup? When do you think they will start announcing the entire celebration? When did they announce the celebration for the 50 year anniversary?

• Minion

Re: 60 year Announcement scaled back

Well the most appropriate time to announce it would be on the 59th anniversary, this Thursday. I hope it means more than just napkins printed with "60 years of Magic" and a perfunctory clean-up of the Space Mountain restroom. I hope it means restoring every single thing in the park to mint condition and a 20-minute 60th Anniversary compliation film running continuously in the Main Street Cinema.

Possibly unrelated, but I was reading this article this morning, and now with this bit of info, I'm thinking major 60th Anniversary announcements (if any) will come at D23.

The relevant passage, for those who don't want to click through and read the whole article:

"By sitting out Comic-Con Disney is declaring its D23 convention as the destination for all their movies. As the company expands outside of traditional Disney stuff (think singing princesses) that makes D23 much more of a general pop culture destination. All of a sudden D23 looks less like a con for a niche fandom and more of a major player in the geek space."
    "I know this is probably your first flight, and it's...mine too!"

• First star to the right..

Quote Originally Posted by joshteevee View Post
    Possibly unrelated, but I was reading this article this morning, and now with this bit of info, I'm thinking major 60th Anniversary announcements (if any) will come at D23.

The relevant passage, for those who don't want to click through and read the whole article:

"By sitting out Comic-Con Disney is declaring its D23 convention as the destination for all their movies. As the company expands outside of traditional Disney stuff (think singing princesses) that makes D23 much more of a general pop culture destination. All of a sudden D23 looks less like a con for a niche fandom and more of a major player in the geek space."

There is no D23 this year...

• Singing Drinker

I'm still laying money on any big announcements being keyed to Iger's replacement's time schedule.

It'd be evil (in a semi sarcastic plastic devil horn evil way, not serious "Luke I have reprogrammed your DVR" evil).

Think about it.

Start laying the groundwork in 2015, draining a significant portion of the buzz surrounding USH's crown jewel as people immediately shift from "WOW, look what Uni did" to "WOW, wonder what Disney's doing to counter?"

Announcements after the press cycle has finished with WWOHP. Comcast/NBC have some pull, Disney would likely prefer to let them have a short cycle uncontested rather than invest the capital and willpower early on (remember, this is with the rumormill churning in the background).

Build to open or at least hit major, identifiable construction around Iger's handoff. If it's to be "Iger's Farewell to the Parks", look for it early Summer 2016. If it's to be his "Anointed Successor's Impressive Hello", look for it to be a BIG project hitting identifiable structures in Summer 2016, open Spring 2017.

NONE of this is supported by anything other than guesswork, but... you never know... and it FEELS right
    Last edited by BogLurch; 07-14-2014 at 10:33 AM.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Pan View Post
    There is no D23 this year...
    Oops! Shows how much I'm paying attention.
    "I know this is probably your first flight, and it's...mine too!"

• film975

Quote Originally Posted by joshteevee View Post
    Oops! Shows how much I'm paying attention.
    There will be one next year during the actual 60th. And hopefully Walt Disney Imagineering will have an elaborate display for that at their Parks & Resorts pavilion then. Would be nice if they announced a new Tomorrowland for Disneyland at that time too. But that is very wishful thinking on my part. But most likely details for the 60th anniversary itself are being held over for the Blue Sky Cellar when it reopens.

• Minion

By lunchtime today this was the topic back at TDA. My buddies back there shared the scoop. I put this in the comment to the original Ed. Note, but it works here too...

There's nothing like a mild panic to make TDA hallways interesting. Word from TDA coffee corners is that the 4th Floor suites are now furious this rethink on Thursdayís announcement got leaked on Miceage, and the Parks Blog people are scrambling on what to show their invited guests that day. Itís a mess, but the messy panic may shake loose some additional artwork or less vague descriptions of the 60th plans on Thursday.

I hope this isnít a clue for how smoothly the 60th will go. Colglazier needs to make sure this goes well if he wants his next exec spot cleared for him when his current Anaheim contract runs out in January, 2016.

• Closed Account

Jan. '16 can't come soon enough after Nos/Club33 and Legends of Frontierland.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    By lunchtime today this was the topic back at TDA. My buddies back there shared the scoop. I put this in the comment to the original Ed. Note, but it works here too...

There's nothing like a mild panic to make TDA hallways interesting. Word from TDA coffee corners is that the 4th Floor suites are now furious this rethink on Thursday’s announcement got leaked on Miceage, and the Parks Blog people are scrambling on what to show their invited guests that day. It’s a mess, but the messy panic may shake loose some additional artwork or less vague descriptions of the 60th plans on Thursday.

I hope this isn’t a clue for how smoothly the 60th will go. Colglazier needs to make sure this goes well if he wants his next exec spot cleared for him when his current Anaheim contract runs out in January, 2016.
    Interesting insight. Thanks for this.

• Minion

So the keywords are: panic...furious...leaked...messy...vague...

• 3Ls:Law Lost & disneyLand

I actually won a pair of tickets to this event. But seeing as how I live in San Diego, and really shouldn't miss a day off (when I have Comic-Con next week). But sounds like I'm really not missing much of anything anyway.

• Galactic Member

Comic_Con sounds exciting compared to more Disney procrastination.
    Galactic Member

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Jan. '16 can't come soon enough after Nos/Club33 and Legends of Frontierland.
    Most guests seem to enjoy Legends Of Frontierland and most reviewers too, despite saying the rules are clunky, that it is still fun and engaging and the CM's make it very worthwhile - seems to be the general consensus overall. So not sure what this is meant to insinuate when guest feedback is positive overall.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Most guests seem to enjoy Legends Of Frontierland and most reviewers too, despite saying the rules are clunky, that it is still fun and engaging and the CM's make it very worthwhile - seems to be the general consensus overall. So not sure what this is meant to insinuate when guest feedback is positive overall.
    I believe he was referring to the aesthetics of set pieces, which seem like very late afterthoughts...

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast