Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Boise Mouse

Truths, rumors, tales and gossip…

Every time we start planning a trip, I get overly Disney crazy. I start looking up facts and figures, old stories, new gossip, truth to rumor, etc.

Today I was reading something on MC that made me want to pose a question to all of you…. especially all of you that like details, stories, history and mystery as much as I do. What are the best “deep, dark secrets of Disneyland” that you have heard, preferably the true ones, although the rumored ones are hilarious to read as well…..including all of the ones we have probably already heard, but maybe just your twist on them.

I love planning our trip and being able to tell my family new, interesting and funny stories, or twists on ones we have heard. Tunnels, secret doors, hidden Mickeys, real hauntings, behind the scenes, Walt stories, castle stories, hidden gems, death certificates …. basically just any true fact or fun story you can think of

Cheers all!
    Last edited by boisemice; 07-15-2014 at 07:00 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Truths, rumors, tales and gossip…

My favorite anecdote (reported by Rolly Crump I believe) is that they were busy having meetings with Walt in the early days of Adventureland, and he had this idea for a Polynesian/tiki restaurant, as that was a cultural craze in the 50's and 60's, and the Imagineers had been working on a robotic bird show that might entertain guests. So they pitched it to Walt, saying about the dining (originally intended to be Chinese food with a Confucius-type philosopher robot providing entertainment, but it was too advanced for the time), and how birds would sing and entertain the diners.

Walt stopped them right there, saying, no no, we can't do that. When asked why not, Crump recounts that Walt's off-the-cuff remark was, 'Because the birds will poop in the food' - with Rolly noting the word Walt actually used was not poop at all, in a rare display of vulgarity for him. Of course, the designers reassured him not to worry, as they'd be robotic birds, no issue with that - and the Tiki Room came about eventually from the concept.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Boise Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    My favorite anecdote (reported by Rolly Crump I believe) is that they were busy having meetings with Walt in the early days of Adventureland, and he had this idea for a Polynesian/tiki restaurant, as that was a cultural craze in the 50's and 60's, and the Imagineers had been working on a robotic bird show that might entertain guests. So they pitched it to Walt, saying about the dining (originally intended to be Chinese food with a Confucius-type philosopher robot providing entertainment, but it was too advanced for the time), and how birds would sing and entertain the diners.

Walt stopped them right there, saying, no no, we can't do that. When asked why not, Crump recounts that Walt's off-the-cuff remark was, 'Because the birds will poop in the food' - with Rolly noting the word Walt actually used was not poop at all, in a rare display of vulgarity for him. Of course, the designers reassured him not to worry, as they'd be robotic birds, no issue with that - and the Tiki Room came about eventually from the concept.
    We are SO doing the Tiki Room in October after this story! Grabbing a Dole Whip and heading to the show for sure! Thanks RegionsBeyond!

• "Always On The Move..."

I've always heard for years (and just saw it on a CNN Facts about Disneyland that you did not know report.) The skull in the headboard of the pirate in POTC is a real skull.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• world class bilge rat

Speaking of the Tiki Room, I'm an electrician who (among other things) designs, builds, installs and works the bugs out of control panels very much like the one that controls the Tiki Room.

The panel there is likely about 5' tall and 6 or 7' wide and contains a PLC (Programmable Logic Controller). A PLC is basically a computer whose sole purpose is to operate machinery. Its outputs can be based on time (like the Tiki Room) or inputs (like most other machinery).

The PLC that runs the Tiki Room is likely about 6" high, 6" deep and maybe 5' long. It has hundreds of outputs. These outputs are connected to various parts of the birds and other stuff that moves.

PLCs weren't available back when the Tiki Room was built. I'm not sure, but I suspect that it was controlled by reel-to-reel magnetic tape. This was the 'computer'. The outputs of the tape would be connected to hundreds of relays, each one about 1" X 1".

As you can imagine, this would take a LOT more space than a 5' X 6' cabinet. Probably a wall 8' high and 20' long.

My hat is off to the guys who built the control system back then. It would have been huge and incredibly complex compared to anything else in its day.

Elements of time past:
    The skyway building over by Casey Jr.
    The cabin and fort on the island.
    Country bears in Pooh ride.
    The smoking terrace
    The moving figures in Splash.
    The palm trees in the jungle cruise
    the jumping fish and other mine train remnants along the thunder mountain trail
    mike fink keel boat
    swiss family tree house
    people mover track

Photo op at the wall of mad hatter hat store, i have tried to find a photo of the tradition, but no luck. Anyhow, a true measure of time past.

So , in this research , and to confirm what is now gone, I found a photo of the figaro exit sign, not sure if it is till there since that eatery had a remodel.

Oh, the tomorrowland train bathroom and NOS bathroom. I think time has forgotten them.

Tiki Room......

Thank you, I never thought about that, very cool!
    it must be very complex today!

some day... I want to see how the rain works ;-)
    The thunderstorm is a favorite

• Shredder

The best advise I can give anyone looking for truths, tales, gossip and an overall in-depth history of Disneyland is one thing and one thing only: Get the book "The Disneyland Story: The Unofficial Guide to the Evolution of Walt Disney's Dream", seriously, you're going to be doing yourself a HUGE favor by purchasing this book. I don't mean to be a salesman for Sam Gennawey or anything, but this book is a priceless gem for Disneyland fans where books like "The Nickel Tour", "Disneyland: The Inside Story", and others just don't come close. It features stories, history, facts, and figures like nothing else before it on a Disneyland scale never attempted. It even features the story RegionsBeyond described and MANY MANY more! Want to know the type of chassis the Mark II Autopia car is mounted on? It's in there. Want to know why New Orleans Square is the size and height it is? You'll learn it in there! Want to know why the top of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is shaped the way it is? It's ALL there! It's available in Paperback, Kindle, and even in Audio Book format for the commute to Disneyland or to work to give you a special magical boost in the morning so there's no reason not to own this puppy! I own all three versions and I CANNOT recommend this hidden diamond in the ruff enough :P

Moving on from the above unintended sales-pitch One of my favorite stories is the multicolored light bulb atop Coke-Corner on Main Street. There is a string of red and white light bulbs outlining the roof-line at the corner entrance to the Coka Cola Refreshment building on Main Street. At the tip of this particular string of lights, nearest the castle, is a special light bulb painted both red and white. The story goes with Walt Disney, always the perfectionist, was walking through the park one day and found that two white light bulbs were right next to each other, ruining the alternating red and white layout effect of the bulbs. The problem was that there was an odd number of bulbs so two of the same colors would inevitably run together. Walt wanted to fix this problem, so he called one of the maintenance painters over and instructed him to paint one half of the bulb red creating a special cohesive pattern.

Another is that the gas lamps on Main Street are over 200 years old and utilize real gas as evidenced by a power-outage that occurred in the 80's (can't recall the actual date at this moment) where the only light on Main Street was provided by the gas lamps themselves and lit the way for thousands of visitors who were forced to evacuate the park that night. Apparently they were purchased by Disney from a town in Baltimore, Maryland for a $1 a pound as scrap metal. For a time, Disney had a cast member individually light every single lamp each night during a lighting ceremony, but now they stay lit all day and all night.

We all know about the Smellitizers on Main Street and the lamp in the window above the firehouse, both are fan favorites. (I did hear a rumor where Teri Hatcher and her children were visiting the park and invited to tour Walt's Apartment above the firehouse and she apparently unplugged the lamp from the outlet and moved the desk for her children to get a better view of Main Street out the window)

There is apparently a restroom inside of Indy's queue near the load and unload area but I have yet to confirm this. There IS a restroom nearest the entrance door to the Enchanted Tiki Room, it's super small but a nice retreat from the hustle and bustle of the restrooms across the way.

So my friend may or may not have been the cause of Jingles (the famous horse on the carousel) being dedicated to Julie Andrews. My friend used to perform as Burt from Mary Poppins and took great offense to the costume change that made the Jolly Holiday costume mandatory. He argued that the costume was less well-known by guests who confused him with some other character and that the costume itself was cumbersome and less than bearable in the summer. His lead countered that the issue had been tested with guests thoroughly and that that is the costume they prefer. He asked to take the issue to someone higher up and he was given the number to Julie Andrew's assistant because Andrews was apparently involved with the costume choice somehow? This detail has always been sketchy mostly because of poor memory when originally told this story. Apparently, her assistant took his complaint and Andrews became outraged upon hearing the news. To cut to the choice, the park dedicated Jingles as a "makeup" gesture. Take with that one as you will :P

Another favorite is a bit more elaborate and I actually wrote this back in High School as a paper but I'll post it here:

It is the first image we all see when we first pass through the turnstiles into Disneyland. It's our first "Welcome to Disneyland" moment when stepping into this realm of the happiest place on earth. It is the Disneyland Railroad, Main Street station to be specific.

We all know of the 5 authentic steam trains that have adorned the railways of Disneyland's Railroad for the last 55 years the attraction has been in operation.

• Engine #1 - The C.K. Holliday with it's crimson red cab, midnight green boiler, and the hand painted portrait of an elk that decorates the side of it's head light in front of it's humongous bell shaped smoke stack.
    • #2 - The E.P. Ripley, being Walt's favorite, with it's long teal tender and bright red wheels under it's elongated slender chimney.
    • #3 - Then came the acquired trains with the first being the Fred Gurley featuring a very short tender connected to it's teal cab with it's dark midnight green boiler and golden accents on it's various appointments. This engine in particular, happens to be the favorite to operate amongst it's various conductors from the round house and the oldest steam train on the line with it logging in over 100 years of active service throughout it's long history of it's various different ownerships.
    • #4 - The next being the Ernest S. Marsh, with it's beautiful crimson red colors adorning it's cab, tender, and boiler, while utilizing a rich burgundy color for it's various highlights topped off with golden detailing underneath it larger smokestack with the deep resonant tone it produces.
    • #5 - Lastly, it's the Ward Kimball, with it's bright red color scheme, gold accents, and dark green boiler featuring a tall lengthy smokestack, stubby attached tender, and of course it's golden silhouette of Jiminy Cricket (a creation of Kimball's after the engines namesake) decorating it's headlamp.

While we, and millions of other park guests, have all enjoyed these beautiful irreplaceable pieces of Disney history for many years now, these antique vehicles of transportation are not the only steam engines to ever set foot on Disneyland's railways...

Yes, there has been one other old fashioned steam powered locomotive that has been welcomed on to the Disneyland line if only for a brief moment. Making this little-known story even more perplexing, is the fact that this mysterious steam train was not only an outside locomotive brought on to the Disneyland line, but it was also the only piece of railroad equipment to adorn the park's tracks that was not owned at all by the Walt Disney Company!

This mysterious 6th engine and it's long heritage have remained in almost complete magical secrecy for years now, until very recently when I happened to stumble upon an old article explaining the encounter this locomotive had with the Walt Disney Company's flagship theme park. Now before I go on to tell you why (or even how) this steam powered vehicle made it's way to the happiest place on earth, allow me to begin by giving you a brief history lesson as to the origins of this, almost mythical, engine.

Back in the late 1940's and early 1950's, Walt Disney had a crack team of animators putting together some of the most amazing masterpieces of animated cinema that we all continue to love to this very day. But while Walt was finding new hobbies and different ways to spend his leisure time after working all day at the studio, and in between projects, he became very interested with the idea of having his very own backyard railroad.

This unusual concept came about when, during an after hours party at the house of one of his greatest animators, Ward Kimball. Ward took the ol' mousetro on a tour through his very own full sized backyard railway, the "Grizzly Flats Railroad." Astonished by the joy he partook as part of the ride through Ward's backyard wonderland, Walt immediately wanted his very own version of this attraction behind his Holmby Hills home.

Knowing full well that he did not have nearly the amount of land required for a full sized railway, Walt was inspired by the miniature design that one of his other animators had taken when creating his OWN backyard railroad. This 'other animator' was none other than the great Ollie Johnston, one of Walt's famously christened "nine old men." Johnston too had a fond love for steam trains. So much so, that starting in 1949, he began work on his very own miniature railroad located behind his property named the "Deer Lake Park and Julian Railroad". It was this very same 1" scale backyard railway that Walt drew his inspiration from, when designing his own "Carolwood Pacific Railroad."

But having a small rail line was just not enough for these two die hard locomotive fans which inevitably lead Walt in creating a full sized (5/8th's scale to be exact) version of the "Carolwood Pacific" known as the "Disneyland Railroad" located at his very own theme park in Anaheim.

Ollie, instead, took a different path in expanding his love for trains by purchasing and restoring a full-size narrow-gauge Porter steam locomotive in the late 1960's. This old worn out steam train, built in 1901, was an ugly duckling at best when Ollie acquired it, but he didn't care, he loved it just as it was. He went on to name it the "Marie E." after his loving wife of nearly 63 years at the time she passed away. This steam powered beauty is very different from the ones you'd find at Disneyland with it's large spacious cab and huge black smokestack, it shares the similar rich burgundy color pattern of that of both the Ernest S. Marsh, and the Ward Kimball. It's black stalky boiler and small wheels (along with it's modest appointments) would sure to turn heads if expecting to see any of the other of the lavish Disneyland engines. But besides it's slightly off color scheme, and humble use of golden accents, the Marie E. was undoubtedly Ollie Johnston's second love apart from his wife.

Just one look at this famous animator while admiring this steam train would no doubt bring a tear to one's eye. He loved this humble little engine that could, so much so that it was a heartbreaking moment when he eventually sold her off in an attempt to have this much appreciated engine restored further back to it's original luster and also for it to be enjoyed by yet another generation of steam train enthusiasts. The buyer of the Marie E. was none other than his old aspiring student at Cal Arts, John Lasseter.

Yes, it was Mr. Lasseter (Pixar Animation Studios' creative Vice President at the time) that approached his old professor into purchasing this vintage piece of railroad history. John had also acquired a love for steam trains and in following the footsteps for his predecessors Walt Disney, Ward Kimball, Roger Broggie and of course Ollie Johnston amongst others, wanted to expand his love for trains by creating a backyard railway. In attempting to fulfill this en devour, Lasseter could turn to none other than his old teacher when trying to expand his love for these old transportation vehicles.

John and Ollie became great friends while Lasseter was studying at Cal Arts to become an animator. It was Johnston who was one of the very few people who believed in John's concepts for digital storytelling, so much so, that it actually inspired Lasseter to join up with the Pixar Studios which eventually led to his successful career in the realm of computer animation. It was at this time in September of 2004, that John decided to acquire and restore Oillie's old locomotive with the money he had made from his various successful Pixar projects.

After his purchase, John immediately sent the train (with it's caboose) down to Hillcrest Shops of Reedley, CA. for restoration. But this event left this famous old animator truly crestfallen at the loss of his truly beloved steam train. Lasseter knew that it was going to be hard for this humble animator from the studio's golden years to accept the loss, but had no idea just how saddened Ollie was by the selling of his old baby.

Once the news of Ollie's depressed state made it's way back to Lasseter by longtime friend, co-worker and writing partner, Frank Thomas, John knew he had to do something to cheer his old pal up.

He later came up with a glorious idea to do just that.

Using the very close ties he had with the executives at Disney, John made arrangements with the managers at Disneyland to actually ship this one of a kind steam train to the park and put it on their 50 year old tracks in order to surprise the old legendary animator.

But why would the executives at Team Disney Anaheim, in charge of the happiest place on earth, ever agree to do anything like this for this director at Pixar?

Well, this was of course before the Mouse's acquisition of the Pixar Studios, and the executives at Disney were more than willing to do what Mr. Lasseter wanted. If only to perhaps hold this famous ex-employee at Disney to a deal at the Mouse House later on in the future, using this favor as a marker for whenever a contract needed to be written up for a project down the line between Pixar and Disney. These, unfortunately, are the tactics that the current senior executives that work at Disney use these days folks. Instead of simply agree to this arrangement for the sheer fact that they would be cheering up an old legend at the studios, they would much rather hold something over Pixar's head if only to seal the deal when it came time for a big future en devour between these two entertainment conglomerates.

It takes a big dreamer with an even bigger heart to get friendly things like this done at the parks anymore, but John was perfectly qualified to do so.

Using his huge executive influence, he did in fact get the Marie E. packed up and (ironically via train) shipped over to the happiest place on earth where it quietly made it's way on over into the famous Disneyland round house on May 6th, 2005 where all of the park's trains and monorails are stored and prepped during after hours.

Of course, the unusual sight of this mysterious steam train making it's way into Disneyland's back entrance did not exactly go unnoticed, and digital images of this event flooded the internet creating quite a stir around the park's huge fan base and rightfully so. This was, indeed, the first time that Disney had ever let an outside piece of railroad equipment to adorn the park's track in it's 50 long year history.

This caused an even bigger commotion amongst the cast members who were not yet briefed as to why this completely foreign steam train had made it's way onto the park's storage tracks. But none other were surprised more than when the senior conductors and engineers who operate these vintage steam trains for Disneyland's Railroad arrived to work that morning only to find this very cared for beauty, sitting beside the engines they tended to everyday, inside of the round house.

Fortunately, none of these cast members knew anything about the history of the Marie E. (or it's incredible origins) which is why they proceeded to get on with their regular routine for prepping the other engines for their long day in the park, ignoring this foreign beauty all together. This routine continued on for a few days before the Marie E. and her yellow caboose were quietly hoisted on to the main line of the Disneyland Railroad, where she chugged her way to the New Orleans Square station.

On May 10th, 2005, hours before Disneyland opened for the day, Ollie Johnston made his way to the park. You see, just days before, he had been told he was invited to a preview showing of Ward Kimball's honorary steam engine that was going to be sworn in to the Disneyland Railroad's fleet of steam trains for active service later that year. As a life long friend of Kimball's since the golden years of animation up until his death in 2002, how could he refuse?

Little did Johnston know that it was he who was actually going to be honored that day.

Everyone made it out to the park for this special surprise ceremony to honor this great Disney Legend including the CEO of the Walt Disney Comany, Michael Eisner, soon to be CEO, Bob Iger, Disneyland's President, Matt Ouimet, son of the late Roger Broggie who originally built the "Carolwood Pacific" for Walt in 1950, Michael Broggie, the famous WDI Imagineer extraordinaire, Tony Baxter, and of course to see his friend enjoy this magical day, John Lassetter was there as well.

While the higher up Disney executives in the group may have all acted like they were there to honor the great Ollie Johnston for his renowned service within the Disney Studios in the early years, they were really there for John Lasseter to make sure he was happy for what the Mouse was doing for him at the moment.

As Ollie Johnston was wheeled in to the park that day by his son, Robert Johnston, he still had no idea what John was planning for him, all way up until he got back over to New Orleans Square.

Imagine his surprised look on his face when Ollie expected to see Ward Kimball's train make it's way through the tunnel into the station that day, only to have it actually be his, instead. As soon as this old timer heard the Marie E.'s distinctive old whistle, he immediately caught on as to what was going on. Suffice it to say folks, this old school animator was really taken aback.

It was a sight for sore eyes to see Johnston's old beaut restored to her original glory after just being heavily refurbished and put on his boss's old theme park railroad. It's just the thing Walt would have done to cheer up one if his best employees who had ever worked at the studio, now it was Lasseter's time to do it Walt's way, and Ollie was eternally grateful.

But merely letting Ollie see it on the track just wasn't enough for Lasseter, he wanted Johnston to actually drive his old steam train around the park.

After a few kind words delivered form Michael Broggie, Johnston was then hoisted up and out of his wheel chair by his son Robert as they both climbed up and into the century old cabin in which Ollie immediately took to his old Engineer's chair. Then, just like old days, Johnston pushed the throttle forward and off they went for a round circle tour of Disneyland.

Ollie was said to be great at the throttle needing no assistance from his fireman with the controls. Of course, in a great show of true Disney magic, Ollie was given the chance to take the tour around the happiest place on earth a second time.

As Ollie rolled this beautiful steam engine back into the New Orleans Square Station one last time, his eyes were said to be full with tears for he knew, that while he would happily run the Marie E. around the park for the rest of the day, it was time for Disneyland to open it gates. With that, Ollie slowly made his way off of his old steam train while the new owner of the Marie E., John Lasseter, in pure Walt Disney fashion, drove the train back to the Disneyland round house for her (and her caboose) to be shipped back to Napa Valley.

Ollie was more than grateful to John for giving him the chance to drive his beloved baby one last time around the happiest place on earth and never forgot this act of kindness.

As a side note to this magical event, another great thing happened that day, for while Ollie was making the trips around the park in his old steam train, Matt Ouimett (the Disneyland President at this time) inquired about the condition of the Lilly Belle to his associates.

For those of you that don't know, the Lilly Belle was a special parlour car that acted as a special VIP caboose taking celebrities, dignitaries, and other famous political figures on their very own private trip around the berm of Disneyland. Walt had always wanted a special parlour car for this very reason, but unfortunately these dreams were never realized until nearly 10 years after his death.

When the original passenger cars that carried guests on the Disneyland Railroad since opening day, were retired from active service in 1974 because of issues getting people in and out of them in a timely fashion (the lack of ventilation and air condition didn't help either). Ken Kohler, then the Superintendent of Monorail/Steam Train Maintenance of the park proposed the concept of turning one of these cars into the parlour car that Walt had dreamed up all of those years ago.

The Lilly Belle (named after Walt's wife) finally made it's debut in 1975 after being designed under the guidance of Mrs. Lillian Disney herself. Her exquisite taste called for old turn of the century vintage Victorian furniture, Victorian lighting fixtures, Himalayan mahogany wood paneling, beveled mirrors, and twelve stained glass panels rimming the top of this beautiful parlour car. To help preserve all of this luxury, a small air conditioning unit was also added to the car. The exterior was painted with a rich deep coat of maroon on Lillian's insistence. It was the finest piece of railroad equipment to ever adorn the tracks the at Disneyland.

Sadly, the Lilly Belle was retired from active service in 1999 after it was found to be riddled with wood rot because of it's special ornate paneling. It was decided by the old Disneyland management at the that it would be too costly to put up the funds necessary to restore her.

It was then placed at the back of the round house only to lie there, dormant, for nearly 5 years before being reviewed by the new park President, Matt Ouimett. Matt soon made his way over to the round house after Ollie's ceremony. After viewing the damage first hand, Ouiment immediately green lit it's expensive and long awaited restoration.

Matt knew the importance of keeping Walt's original dreams alive and maintained which is why the Lilly Belle was soon finished and dedicated, along with the Ward Kimball, to Disneyland's Railroad on Wednesday, February 15th of 2006 for immediate service. Because of Matt's thoughtful actions, any guest visiting Disneyland can take the round circle trip of the happiest place on earth within this beautiful parlour car once again.

Getting back to our original story, Ollie Johnston's wife, Marie Worthey, used to work in Disney's Ink & Paint Department at the studio where they eventually met. Sadly, she passed away just 10 days after Ollie drove the Marie E. around Disneyland's berm. Shortly before this, Ollie's best friend and co-worker at the animation studios, Frank Thomas, had passed away on September, 8th 2004, 3 days before his 92th birthday, making Ollie the last living person of Walt's famous "Nine Old Men."

Sadly, Ollie Johnston soon too passed away on April 14th, of 2008 at the old age of 95. Many animators who looked up to him and his work tried to comfort themselves by stating that "at least Frank and Ollie are back together again in that great big golden Studio in the sky." Unfortunately, this was kind of talk offered little support when faced with the fact that these Disney legends were gone away forever.

Looking back to May 10th 2005, it was the kind act of a friend that helped make the last few years of Ollie's life as comfortable as possible by giving him the opportunity to fully enjoy his love for trains just one last time.

And as for that trivial ploy by Disney to hold something over Lassetter's head? Well, as luck would have it, Pixar would eventually be acquired by Disney. It was in this same acquisition deal that stated that John would now be the one in charge and call the shots at the Disney parks from now on. I guess a truly magical good deed never goes overlooked at the Walt Disney Company, or at the very least, this was the case for John.

It's stories like the ones told above that make the Disneyland Railroad the most historical attraction to ever be built at a Disney park. Which is why it is undoubtedly, the best attraction inside all of Disneyland.

I mean, let's face it, what other attraction in Disneyland can take you around the happiest place on earth over and over again, all day long, without ever having to disembark?

I had images and stuff formatted for it but you get the gist of it :P

Another favorite of mine is written in great detail by the always incredible Jim Hill on the Huffington Post where a group of Yippies Invaded Disneyland in 1970 and the article can be found here as a 3-parter:

Part 1: Jim Hill: Yippie-Dee-Doo-Dah, Part 1: When The Yippies Invaded Disneyland
    Part 2: Jim Hill: Yippie-Dee-Doo-Dah, Part 2: When the Yippies Invaded Disneyland
    Part 3: Jim Hill: Yippie-Dee-Doo-Dah, Part 3: When The Yippies Invaded Disneyland

Another great series of juicy stories, history, and more can be found on the AMAZING Disney Dish Podcast hosted by Len Testa and Jim Hill with the occasional special guest Sam Genneway (yep, the same guy who authors that book I told you about up there at the first part of this ginormous post :P ). All of the episodes of this pod are basically gospel but the episodes specifically about Disneyland history and stories are episodes 22 - 33 with bonus episodes on subject matter like individual attractions and entertainment at Disneyland on episodes 35, 36, 47, 48, 51, 52, and 56. Sam Genneway's episodes are specific to Magic Kingdom in WDW but MANY of the aspects on urban design applied to the individual lands can be applied to Disneyland and Sam points out the differences between the two parks in the episodes. They are episodes 10 - 14. Seriously, go to the link here and download those episodes like, immediately:

Listen to episodes of The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish with Jim Hill on podbay

I have heard that the stories Rolly Crump tells as part of his "It's Kind of a Cute Story" series of books and audio available on Amazon is a must read/hear although I must admit that I haven't taken part in these just yet because of simply lack of time but I'm quite looking forward to them!

Alrighty, I think that sums it up for you, if I think of anymore, I post them later :P

Current WDI Imagineer: "But we made great attractions like Pirates of the Carribean!!!"
    Cast Member: "No, WED made Pirates of the Caribbean, you guys made things like 'Spare Park' [DCA]"

• Disneyland Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Vashsky666 View Post
    There is apparently a restroom inside of Indy's queue near the load and unload area but I have yet to confirm this.
    There is actually a bathroom there. When I was younger my family and I were waiting in line when it hit me, I drank too much water! A CM walked by and my mom told her what was up, she was very friendly and told my mom and me to follow her. We got out of line and walked up to a CM only door, she opened it and said come on in. She pointed me to the male restroom and I used it. A cool thing back there is that you can hear and feel the boulder/walls moving above you.

• Shredder

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan1 View Post
    There is actually a bathroom there. When I was younger my family and I were waiting in line when it hit me, I drank too much water! A CM walked by and my mom told her what was up, she was very friendly and told my mom and me to follow her. We got out of line and walked up to a CM only door, she opened it and said come on in. She pointed me to the male restroom and I used it. A cool thing back there is that you can hear and feel the boulder/walls moving above you.
    I would love to see this hidden little gem myself but on the last day of my most recent trip, Indy was down at the end of the day and I wasn't able to explore for this restroom myself! Hopefully, I can get a chance to see sometime on my next trip

Current WDI Imagineer: "But we made great attractions like Pirates of the Carribean!!!"
    Cast Member: "No, WED made Pirates of the Caribbean, you guys made things like 'Spare Park' [DCA]"

• Boise Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Vashsky666 View Post
    The best advise I can give anyone looking for truths, tales, gossip and an overall in-depth history of Disneyland is one thing and one thing only: Get the book "The Disneyland Story: The Unofficial Guide to the Evolution of Walt Disney's Dream", seriously, you're going to be doing yourself a HUGE favor by purchasing this book. I don't mean to be a salesman for Sam Gennawey or anything, but this book is a priceless gem for Disneyland fans where books like "The Nickel Tour", "Disneyland: The Inside Story", and others just don't come close. It features stories, history, facts, and figures like nothing else before it on a Disneyland scale never attempted. It even features the story RegionsBeyond described and MANY MANY more! Want to know the type of chassis the Mark II Autopia car is mounted on? It's in there. Want to know why New Orleans Square is the size and height it is? You'll learn it in there! Want to know why the top of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is shaped the way it is? It's ALL there! It's available in Paperback, Kindle, and even in Audio Book format for the commute to Disneyland or to work to give you a special magical boost in the morning so there's no reason not to own this puppy! I own all three versions and I CANNOT recommend this hidden diamond in the ruff enough :P

Moving on from the above unintended sales-pitch One of my favorite stories is the multicolored light bulb atop Coke-Corner on Main Street. There is a string of red and white light bulbs outlining the roof-line at the corner entrance to the Coka Cola Refreshment building on Main Street. At the tip of this particular string of lights, nearest the castle, is a special light bulb painted both red and white. The story goes with Walt Disney, always the perfectionist, was walking through the park one day and found that two white light bulbs were right next to each other, ruining the alternating red and white layout effect of the bulbs. The problem was that there was an odd number of bulbs so two of the same colors would inevitably run together. Walt wanted to fix this problem, so he called one of the maintenance painters over and instructed him to paint one half of the bulb red creating a special cohesive pattern.

Another is that the gas lamps on Main Street are over 200 years old and utilize real gas as evidenced by a power-outage that occurred in the 80's (can't recall the actual date at this moment) where the only light on Main Street was provided by the gas lamps themselves and lit the way for thousands of visitors who were forced to evacuate the park that night. Apparently they were purchased by Disney from a town in Baltimore, Maryland for a $1 a pound as scrap metal. For a time, Disney had a cast member individually light every single lamp each night during a lighting ceremony, but now they stay lit all day and all night.

We all know about the Smellitizers on Main Street and the lamp in the window above the firehouse, both are fan favorites. (I did hear a rumor where Teri Hatcher and her children were visiting the park and invited to tour Walt's Apartment above the firehouse and she apparently unplugged the lamp from the outlet and moved the desk for her children to get a better view of Main Street out the window)

There is apparently a restroom inside of Indy's queue near the load and unload area but I have yet to confirm this. There IS a restroom nearest the entrance door to the Enchanted Tiki Room, it's super small but a nice retreat from the hustle and bustle of the restrooms across the way.

So my friend may or may not have been the cause of Jingles (the famous horse on the carousel) being dedicated to Julie Andrews. My friend used to perform as Burt from Mary Poppins and took great offense to the costume change that made the Jolly Holiday costume mandatory. He argued that the costume was less well-known by guests who confused him with some other character and that the costume itself was cumbersome and less than bearable in the summer. His lead countered that the issue had been tested with guests thoroughly and that that is the costume they prefer. He asked to take the issue to someone higher up and he was given the number to Julie Andrew's assistant because Andrews was apparently involved with the costume choice somehow? This detail has always been sketchy mostly because of poor memory when originally told this story. Apparently, her assistant took his complaint and Andrews became outraged upon hearing the news. To cut to the choice, the park dedicated Jingles as a "makeup" gesture. Take with that one as you will :P

Another favorite is a bit more elaborate and I actually wrote this back in High School as a paper but I'll post it here:

I had images and stuff formatted for it but you get the gist of it :P

Another favorite of mine is written in great detail by the always incredible Jim Hill on the Huffington Post where a group of Yippies Invaded Disneyland in 1970 and the article can be found here as a 3-parter:

Part 1: Jim Hill: Yippie-Dee-Doo-Dah, Part 1: When The Yippies Invaded Disneyland
    Part 2: Jim Hill: Yippie-Dee-Doo-Dah, Part 2: When the Yippies Invaded Disneyland
    Part 3: Jim Hill: Yippie-Dee-Doo-Dah, Part 3: When The Yippies Invaded Disneyland

Another great series of juicy stories, history, and more can be found on the AMAZING Disney Dish Podcast hosted by Len Testa and Jim Hill with the occasional special guest Sam Genneway (yep, the same guy who authors that book I told you about up there at the first part of this ginormous post :P ). All of the episodes of this pod are basically gospel but the episodes specifically about Disneyland history and stories are episodes 22 - 33 with bonus episodes on subject matter like individual attractions and entertainment at Disneyland on episodes 35, 36, 47, 48, 51, 52, and 56. Sam Genneway's episodes are specific to Magic Kingdom in WDW but MANY of the aspects on urban design applied to the individual lands can be applied to Disneyland and Sam points out the differences between the two parks in the episodes. They are episodes 10 - 14. Seriously, go to the link here and download those episodes like, immediately:

Listen to episodes of The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish with Jim Hill on podbay

I have heard that the stories Rolly Crump tells as part of his "It's Kind of a Cute Story" series of books and audio available on Amazon is a must read/hear although I must admit that I haven't taken part in these just yet because of simply lack of time but I'm quite looking forward to them!

Alrighty, I think that sums it up for you, if I think of anymore, I post them later :P
    All of this ^^^ was awesome! This ALL made me smile. I loved the paper that you wrote. Thank you so much for sharing and for taking the time to respond. I had no idea who Jingles was... or what a Smellitizers was. Now I do. I feel like a really lame Disney fan... haha. How did I not know those two things?

Your post made me all sorts of curious, so I just ordered "The Disneyland Story: The Unofficial Guide to the Evolution of Walt Disney's Dream" Amazon.... I will have it Thursday Thanks again Vashsky!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

You may know that some of the rockwork from the old Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland is still visible along Big Thunder Trail:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/edoubledubya/4483375076/

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...esertRocks.jpg

And in the ghost stories department, the tale of Cabin Four always intrigues me, no matter the 'real cause':

I have no snout yet I must whinny, The ghost at Star Tours
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Rumor-Walt Disney was a Mason. Truth-Walt Disney was a member of the Order of DeMolay, an organization for young men. He wore his DeMolay ring for some time prior to wearing a claddagh. Through diligent search there is no evidence that Walt was a Mason.

Along the same lines Mickey Mouse is an honorary member of DeMolay and there are few comic strips with him opening a chapter.

Not sure how interesting or exciting those are, but there you go.

• Shredder

Quote Originally Posted by boisemice View Post
    All of this ^^^ was awesome! This ALL made me smile. I loved the paper that you wrote. Thank you so much for sharing and for taking the time to respond. I had no idea who Jingles was... or what a Smellitizers was. Now I do. I feel like a really lame Disney fan... haha. How did I not know those two things?

Your post made me all sorts of curious, so I just ordered "The Disneyland Story: The Unofficial Guide to the Evolution of Walt Disney's Dream" Amazon.... I will have it Thursday Thanks again Vashsky!
    You will LOVE that book, it will be your Disneyland Bible if you haven't yet heard of Jingles or Smellitizers

Also too, while that is coming in the mail, please please please download those Podcast episodes of the Disney Dish Podcast I posted a link to earlier, Jim Hill (a Disney historian and parks aficionado for well over 30 years) walks BOTH parks including the Grand Californian and Downtown Disney and basically takes your own private tour of how these amazing parks got built and the history of every nook and cranny with the sounds from the parks in the background, they are such a GREAT compliment to that book you are going to get, it's INCREDIBLE! I just listened to them again the other day, they are funny, insightful, and full of amazing stories, they are just awesome!!

There are are a couple of YouTube videos that really made me the hardcore Disney fan I am today about 10 years ago near the 50th anniversary. One of them is the incredible little video made for the Walt Disney Treasures DVD Tin: "Disneyland - Secrets, Stories, & Magic!" Watch those in order and you'll really be intrigued to learn more of the amazing history of Disneyland!

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIJ_oW4OiOg
    Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t02sG4wmMOY
    Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9vMDotpO3g
    Part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BygnRtObBQ
    Part 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=270H08IHN58
    Part 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3dqIhqV4Ig
    Part 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kFjlVPRK1E
    Part 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fupxlppk1e4

There are others but I'm going to have to have some time to collect all of them together and post the links here, they are scattered all over YouTube but one of the best is right up there! Feel free to watch that one with your family because it's a lot of fun, is very well done, and puts faces and voices behind many of these integral figures behind the creation of Disneyland

I justed started reading Sam Gennawey's book and fully agree with the above poster on how fascinating and compelling this book is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast