Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Selfie Expert

Re: Adventure Trading Company coming August 1st

I wonder how long this will be available. Sounds fun and something we could do with a baby in tow!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    Frontier land works, it's quite spread out, but adventure land just seems to be asking for crowd trouble!
    I agree completely, on a busy day you might wait several minutes just to get into the land, so they need to make sure this out of the way of the regular park guests.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

I tried out one of the Adventure Trading Company challenges today. There are 5 different "juju" that you can earn through the trading company; it costs $5 each to get the materials needed to earn them. There are also two juju that are simply available for purchase, no additional work required, and then there are three juju that are earned by purchasing a specialty food item at Tropical Imports, Bengal Barbecue, and Trader Sam's.

My friend and I decided to try the "rare missing juju" challenge (corresponds to the "tracking" trait), which was described to us as a sort of scavenger hunt. When you purchase the challenge, you are given some form of paper (for us it was a newspaper titled "The Daily Gnus", for another it was a manilla envelope, and I can't remember the others), which is used to guide you through your challenge. We figured it would take about a half hour or so to complete, but we were somewhat disappointed to find that it was a really simple three-step journey that took us about 5 minutes to complete. Yeah, the juju is cool, but I wish the challenge was more complex.

This is the elephant juju we earned for completing that challenge:

At that point we decided not to buy another one of the $5 challenges, but we were interested in trying the "venomade" offered at the Bengal Barbecue. For those who don't know, it's basically a boba-like drink with sour apple liquid and pomegranate balls. The guy at the stand told a cute story about how growing up he was always afraid of snakes, but then Trader Sam gave him venomade, which is made of snake venom and snake eggs, and now his fear of snakes is cured. We decided to only get one venomade and share, and I'm glad we did, because it cost over $8 just for one cup of it (maybe 16oz size?). Then, to receive the snake juju, we had to show a lady our receipt and then tell her a story of a time we were brave. It's cute, but again, not sure it's worth the cost for what you get.

Overall, I think this is a really fun addition to Adventureland. I wish there was an option to pay for all of the challenges at the Adventureland Trading Company at once for one fee instead of having to pay $5 for each challenge, and I think there should be more involved in earning the juju (at least for the challenge we tried) if they are going to charge that amount per challenge. Hope this was helpful to everyone, and have fun collecting juju!

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 10.13.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 19

• Disneyland Dreamer

That would be pretty neat for the kids. I'm not sure its aimed at adults if it is so easy.

My first thought is to wonder if they're so short/easy to some extent make sure there isn't a traffic jam? If you're in and out pretty quick it seems like that'd help somewhat with the concerns about how clogged Adventureland tends to be anyway. Just a wild theory.

• With The Brain Of A Bird

Thank you for posting your report, KEBSD. I was wondering how this new game would be. I like the different jujus and the idea of going on a quest to earn them but agree about what you get for the money. It sounds like the $8 Venomade is $3 for the drink and $5 for the juju. Then you need to come up with a story to tell before they'll give the juju to you. Even if in paying for the experience you are paying for the juju I think it should FEEL more like the juju is a "reward" for whatever effort you're required to put into the game. Right now it seems more like a piece of merchandise you need to hunt for after you've paid for it. Maybe they can tweak the game a little to enhance that feeling that you're victorious and as a result are being rewarded with the juju.
    "Anything's possible at Disneyland." - Walt Disney, 1965

• Minion

I also tried this out. I went for the knowledge juju(mara eye) and the tracking juju(elephant). The tracking juju was pretty straight forward, although I got a little stumped on the knowledge juju. For the knowledge juju you had to go to a stone tablet near the queue for IJA. A CM gave you a coloring pencil to copy in the symbols with the letter they represent from the tablet (I just took a picture because mines came out terrible) there's a message on there that tells you where to go. Once you get there there is another tablet that you have to translate and report back to the indiana jones outpost. Once you tell them the message they have you stick your hand into a large box with three holes. One of them has the jujus the other two have a couple of tricks. I won't talk about the other one since that's been covered already. Overall it was a pretty fun experience. I kind of wish they could've had this year round instead of only August, maybe have different jujus every couple of months.

• Minion

Well I've gotta hand it to Disney, they are really getting good at finding creative ways of nickel and diming people to death. Like Seahorse said, they're basically making you pay for a piece of merchandise and then making you jump through hoops before they give it to you! Doesn't even make it feel like a "reward" if you're paying five to eight bucks for it. Kind of unreal if you ask me.

And if the tasks really only take about 5 minutes to complete, the price needs to come WAY down.

• Disneyland Dreamer

We'll be giving this a try if it is still going in October.

• revolutionary waltz

Oddly, $3-4 is pretty standard for a 16oz boba drink, so if it was any good the $8 one is actually one of the better deals.

They look pretty, but not sure if I'd be willing to fork over the cash. Good to know about the process regardless!

• I am number 4 of 999

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    Well I've gotta hand it to Disney, they are really getting good at finding creative ways of nickel and diming people to death. Like Seahorse said, they're basically making you pay for a piece of merchandise and then making you jump through hoops before they give it to you! Doesn't even make it feel like a "reward" if you're paying five to eight bucks for it. Kind of unreal if you ask me.
    I've yet to see any of these jujus in person, but in pictures it looks like quite a substantial piece of plastic. But think about it. What was the last piece of merchandise you bought? Why did you buy it? "I spent $20 on a Mickey plush because my kid was screaming, and it was hot, and my cellphone battery was dying..." "I spent $32 on a Mickey Mouse t-shirt, because, well... because" I think this sounds like a pretty fun reason to spend $5 on a limited edition trinket from Disneyland!
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• Down Pluto!

Not interested. But if it keeps guests playing games and out of the lines, then I'm in favor of it!

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Resident of the Caldera

There are a total of 9 jujus and the game runs until the end of August.

Three jujus require food purchases:

1. The Pineapple juju at Tropical Imports, which also comes with a small printed envelope and some cards/stickers which read either "Courage," "Friendship," but I can't remember the third. You receive two cards so you have one to trade. Supposedly there is a fourth card coming. You purchase a Pineapple Parfait (quite delicious) in order to obtain this.

2. The Snake juju at Bengal BBG, which as noted above only requires you to buy the Snake Venom drink and you get the Snake Juju.

3. The Tiki juju for which the paperwork is given to you FREE at the Indiana Jones shop. It requires you to find three items in the Adventureland area which will give you the ingredients to a drink sold at Trader Sam's bar at the Disneyland Hotel. Once you have written the three ingredients on the card you've been given, you go to Trader Sam's, show the card, and order the JuJu Drink for $7.50. You will receive the drink, the Tiki juju, and a special button.

There are two jujus you can simply purchase at the Indy shop:

4. The Tarzan Treehouse Juju

5. The Tiger's Tooth Juju.

There are four games you can purchase for $5 each in order to obtain the remaining four Jujus:

6. The Eye of Mara juju (you get a map and have to decode the Mara alphabet as noted above), then return to the Indy shop for the final step.

7. The Elephant juju (you get a newspaper and have to figure out where to go to locate the crate with the elephant juju image printed on it and get your juju at that location).

8. The Tiki bird juju which requires you to take photos of five different types of birds, then go to the Tiki room and display the photos to a cm who then gives you the juju.

9. The Piranahaha juju requires you to go to a certain area near the Jungle Cruise and tell a Jungle Cruise skipper joke. There is a booklet that comes with this, but it specifically says that you do not have to fill it out to obtain the juju.

Normally I hate this kind of stuff (the Frontierland game holds no interest for me at all), but the Adventure quests were a lot of fun, and for very little money you can create a cool collection of the 9 jujus plus all the paper ephemera that also comes as part of the quests.

Highly recommended. (And you can buy all four quests at once--you don't have to do them one at a time.)

There are no additional jujus being added to the version of the game which is now running. A CM told me that they might do different versions of the quests if they run the game again.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Just a couple of hints to help you out.
    1.Not all the quests are in Adventureland,one is in Frontierland,one at the Disneyland hotel.
    2.When you do one quest look around as someplaces have clues for another quest just a few feet away from the one you are completing.

disneyfn, Thank you for your insight. I may or may not do this. If I do, I am all in and will need to get everything.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast