Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Do you like the new effects that Disneyland is putting into rides?

Do you like the new effects Disneyland is putting into the rides? Such as Indiana Jones, Big Thunder Mountain, and Alice in Wonderland. If so, what other rides would you like to see have the new effects? I would like to see it in maybe Splash Mountain or something, it would be neat.

Re: Do you like the new effects that Disneyland is putting into rides?

I haven't been there since they put in the new special effects, so this is something I'm seriously excited to experience--especially on Indy, my favorite ride! From what I hear, though, everyone is enjoying it. It seems to bring something new to the experience, which is always welcome.

Yes, absolutely. The projection mapping, when done well, is amazing. The Alice effects are remarkable to behold.
    "I know this is probably your first flight, and it's...mine too!"

So far everything has been awesome!! Mara on Indy is amazing. The Big Thunder addition is really cool when its working. All of the additions throughout Alice are well placed and work very well with the attraction. I would like to see plus other dark rides. Everything has to be done correctly and not overdone for the sake of doing it. After the other 5 dark rides, I think Splash Mountain could definitely use the technology somewhere, though it would be harder to reset things for every log that comes through since they are not as under control time wise as the dark rides.

Yes. Looking forward to similar improvements to what was done on Alice on other Fantasyland rides.

• Indiana Scott

Yes, I like them mostly (except stuff like Johnny Depp on POC). I think they're respectful of the originality but bring the rides up to date and make them enjoyable to a more contemporary crowd as well.

• The doctor is in

I think they look better in some rides and look weird in others. From what I have seen on YouTube, the projections inside BTMRR look pretty cool and Alice in Wonderland is a lot more tasteful than I was expecting.

However, I think the projections on Mara inside Indy look stupid and I am not a fan of the snow projection inside the Matterhorn. I've seen both of those in person and I think they take you out of the experience a bit. Indy is worse than the Matterhorn, imo.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

I think the use of projections and practical effects are wonderful as long as they are done in a way to enhance the ride experience as opposed to being distracting or deterring, or worst of all being the focus of the ride. It's no different than the use of CGI in movies. They should be used to enhance the story, not as a reason to make the film and show them off.

I'm really liking way they use projection in AiW. They create a sense of depth in some areas (which is great for these cramped dark rides), and using them over existing props is cool too (like how they did with Mara on IJA, or the mouths and eyes of the cars in RSR). I just don't want to ride in a moving movie, so the balance of showing cartoon scenes and using real props is important.

Of all the projection effects installed over the last 18-ish months, I don't think there's a single one I dislike. Haunted Mansion Holiday, Indy, the new IASW Holiday facade show, Thunder, and now Alice. They're all beautiful and very well done.
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

I really like Indy's projection mapping on Mara. I would like It's A Small World to get something going (anything!) on its ceiling.

Yes! Seriously, their great.

I personally love all of the new effects they've added with projection mapping. It brings the rides up to date, while keeping the ride's original charm.

• Minion

The examples the OP gave are great examples of how projections can be used to enhance the show without replacing all of the physical sets.

I like all of the new projection mapping effects on all rides except on Haunted Mansion Holiday. Looking up to the rafters of the stretching room, I preferred the old Jack Skellington effect which appears to be more three dimensional than the new one, which is just a 1D image.

I'm liking the use of them, and I love the blend of the projections with physical. See, I'm a HUGE sucker for Toy Story, but I think this is why Midway Mania isn't a MUST for me. 3-D glasses and screens with some painted walls.

Meanwhile Racers, which combines both sets and props with projections (on the cars' physical features as well as Mater jumping in front of the moon), IS a must.

And they added projections to Matterhorn? I haven't been on it in awhile, so can someone post a video or a picture?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast