• Illustrator

Some re-dressing ideas for New Orleans and the Club 33 expansion

First-time post from a long-time micechat fan. After reading the recent Dateline Disney posts I did some sketching...Name:  NO_plusing1.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  100.8 KB

Image 1 (POTC exit near Blue Bayou):

A) Wall is dressed to appear as heavy and aging plaster over brick wall.

B) Ledge/beam is painted and textured to appear as dark wood.

--The exterior archway has also been covered in a brick texture. The goal here was to create a look that matched the interior of the Pirates ride but could also be an alleyway in New Orleans' French Quarter.

Name:  NO_plusing2.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  114.7 KB

Image 2 (Large new Club 33 exterior facing Frontier Land):

--Vegetation and a large planter are used to tie the building together with the neighboring iron work. The planter could feature a variety of flowers to reflect seasonal color themes in the land. A small hanging flag pole (not pictured) could be added to reinforce the port-town aspects of New Orleans.

Please feel free to tell me what you think!
    Cassidy Lee Phillips
    Illustration & Design
    http://cazzbot.com/
    twitter: @cazzbot

• Chief Troublemaker

Re: Some re-dressing ideas for New Orleans and the Club 33 expansion

I like your 'window dressing'. It's pretty similar to what I was thinking, especially the need for greenery on the left side to disguise the fact that the window is 'off center. Bougainvillea or a Fuchsia would be a beautiful addition.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• former CM

Thanks for the ideas & art CassidyLeePhillips!

I thought that off-centered windows might be a New Orleans thing, so I wasted over 5 minutes on the internet searching for evidence,
    but all I could find is that sometimes different floors had different window arrangements--nothing that looked like
    a stupid & lazy, committee creation at its worst as the New Orleans Square windows do.
    This is not like the off-centered exit sign in one of the Pinocchio's Fantasyland restaurants that was cleverly improved with art.

Maybe instead, it could be the window where the following are honored:
    Thomas Staggs
    Meg Crofton
    Paul Pressler
    and Michael Colglazier--Yeti veterinarian (Out to lunch)

I'll give Iger a pass even though he is not the demon for details the way Walt and Michael Eisner were. There was a demoralizing downside to Eisner's micromanaging, but I doubt those windows would not have happened under his watch--even at the end of his 23 or so years as Disney's leader.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 07-29-2014 at 11:05 AM.

• Certified DL Addict

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Thanks for the ideas & art CassidyLeePhillips!

I thought that off-centered windows might be a New Orleans thing, so I wasted over 5 minutes on the internet searching for evidence,
    but all I could find is that sometimes different floors had different window arrangements--nothing that looked like
    a stupid & lazy, committee creation at its worst as the New Orleans Square windows do.
    This is not like the off-centered exit sign in one of the Pinocchio's Fantasyland restaurants that was cleverly improved with art.

Maybe instead, it could be the window where the following are honored:
    Thomas Staggs
    Meg Crofton
    Paul Pressler
    and Michael Colglazier--Yeti veterinarian (Out to lunch)

I'll give Iger a pass even though he is not the demon for details the way Walt and Michael Eisner were. There was a demoralizing downside to Eisner's micromanaging, but I doubt those windows would not have happened under his watch--even at the end of his 23 or so years as Disney's leader.
    It's off-centered because on the inside it's centered... and apparently it's more important to make it look good to the thousand people visiting Club 33 than it is to make it look good to the millions outside. Priorities are lacking there Disneyland...
    2014 Gumball Rally Team- Skyway Sweethearts
    *~2014- Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder~*
    *~2015- Disney Parks Premier Passholder~*

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by the702senior09 View Post
    It's off-centered because on the inside it's centered... and apparently it's more important to make it look good to the thousand people visiting Club 33 than it is to make it look good to the millions outside. Priorities are lacking there Disneyland...
    Maybe the shows where Bob, Meg, Jay, Michael C., and Thomas' hearts are.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

I really like the first image, it "blends in" and doesn't "grab" your attention. The second image could do with a copper cover with a lily and two frogs (since it's New Orleans and a film reference,) but that's my pick.

-Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• Minion

You guys know this NOS stuff isn't done yet, right? I know most folks here only see the parks through Dateline Disneyland on Monday, but since the last Dateline update several things have been installed in NOS;

Detailing and filigree has been added to the exit of Pirates. More layers and then paint still coming. Another week to go on that one.

A new window box has been added two days ago below the window above Café Orleans. Still shutters and a balcony and wrought iron to be added there, then plants and props, with two weeks more to go on that facade.

The funny thing is that the stuff added this week to the project that is still not finished looks a lot like the second sketch above.

Quote Originally Posted by the702senior09 View Post
    Coming from one of the most active supporters of the park and also an extremely dedicated park photographer, this clearly indicates there is a massive level of disgust with Disney's treatment of not only club members but also the changes to NOS.

Davelandblog: Kool Aid at Club 33, Pt. 1

Davelandblog: Kool Aid at Club 33, Pt. 2

• Illustrator

Hey! Thank you for all the commentary! I literally just threw together these sketches as an immediate response to the Dateline Disneyland photos showing the new construction- Obviously I'm not the only one who finds the new structures a bit jarring.

Here's another image...

Image 3
    Name:  NO_Plussing2.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  194.2 KB

1) Who WOULD precariously place lit candles on the exterior of their home? An eccentric like Dr. Facilier might! The wall has been painted with some of Facilier's colors, a sign has been added, and the balcony door now appears to be ajar with a fancy cloth hanging out over the rail (maybe to dry).

2) Cloth awnings have been added to the massive Club33 windows, held away from the wall by cast iron spears. All Club33 windows have been given a slightly mirroring blue tint to obscure views of the interior.

3) Dr. Facilier's bridge is supported and topped by gothic iron work, suggesting both spiderwebs and bat wings, but without crossing directly into "Haunted Mansion" extremes.

4) The metal archway under the bridge has been expanded in the perpendicular direction to act as a support for the extended 2nd floor.

5) Iron work to match the 2nd floor has been extended to the ground in place of the basic black supports.

-Let me add that, while I have offered some ideas; these new expanded 2nd floor structures give a "cramped" look to this particular intersection... ...and I don't know if there is any way to compensate, with surface decoration, for the obstruction of the excellent 1st floor storefronts.

Mr. Cassidy Lee Phillips
    Cassidy Lee Phillips
    Illustration & Design
    http://cazzbot.com/
    twitter: @cazzbot