• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Disneyland: 20 Years Ago, It was exciting but also the beginning of a long pause

Here is the Disneyland roster exactly 20 years ago:

Main Street U.S.A:
    Main Street Cinema
    Omnibus
    Horseless Carriage
    Horse-Drawn Streetcars
    Fire Engine
    Plaza Gardens Stage
    Disneyland Railroad
    The Walt Disney Story featuring “Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln”
    Penny Arcade
    Main Street Electrical Parade
    The Lion King Celebration
    Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks

Adventureland:
    Jungle Cruise
    Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room
    Swiss Family Treehouse

New Orleans Square:
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    The Haunted Mansion
    The Disney Gallery
    New Orleans Square Station

Critter Country:
    Splash Mountain
    Teddi Berra’s Swingin’ Arcade
    Davy Crockett’s Explorer Canoes
    Country Bear Playhouse

Frontierland:
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    Big Thunder Ranch
    Mike Fink Keelboats
    Frontierland Shooting Gallery
    Mark Twain Riverboat
    Sailing Ship Columbia
    Tom Sawyer Island
    Fantasmic!
    Golden Horseshoe Jamboree

Mickey’s Toontown
    Chip n’ Dale Treehouse
    Donald’s Boat
    Mickey’ House
    Minnie’s House
    Goofy’s Bounce House
    Mickey Toontown Station
    Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin
    Gadget’s Go Coaster
    Jolly Trolley

Fantasyland
    Matterhorn Bobsleds
    Snow White’s Scary Adventures
    Sword in the Stone and Ceremony
    King Arthur Carousel
    Pinocchio’s Daring Journey
    Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough
    Snow White Grotto
    Storybook Land Canal Boats
    Casey Jr. Circus Train
    Skyway to Tomorrowland
    Fantasyland Autopia
    Dumbo the Flying Elephant
    It’s a Small World
    Videopolis: Beauty and the Beast Stage Show
    Mad Tea Party
    Alice in Wonderland
    Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
    Peter Pan’s Flight

Tomorrowland
    Circle-Vision
    Space Mountain
    Star Tours
    Stacade
    Captain EO
    PeopleMover
    Submarine Voyage
    Skyway to Fantasyland
    Disneyland Monorail
    Autopia
    Rocket Jets
    Tomorrowland Station
    Tomorrowland Terrace Stage

It was an exciting time and we also were on the doorstep of the 40th Anniversary and the great INDIANA JONES ADVENTURE.

It was a little evident that things were going a little downhill with the Motor Boat Cruise, Mission to Mars, and America Sings closing and not having any signs of replacements but we didn't know any better what was bound to happen and things looked better than ever at the park with Indy joining the family, who knew we would fall into the Pressler/Harris Era and even to this day the budget has always been low for the park but here's looking to bigger and better things in the park's future.

Share your best memories of Disneyland before the "Dark (budgetary) Times" came to Disneyland.
    Last edited by DL_CRAZE; 07-24-2014 at 06:12 PM.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Former Churro Jockey

Re: Disneyland: 20 Years Ago, It was exciting but also the beginning of a long pause

I always thought that 1995 - 1996 was the peak of Disneyland (at least in my lifetime). It started to decline a little bit in 1997 with Light Magic, took a downturn in 1998 with the new Tomorrowland, and then it started really going downhill after DCA opened and they stopped spending money on Disneyland to try and fix DCA. The one bright spot was Matt Oiment and the money he was able to spend for the 50th anniversary, but except for that, the park that we know today is still awesome, but not up to the level that it used to be. But hey, things change, and everything has it's ebbs and flows. Maybe the new CEO will be a big fan of Disneyland and want to really upgrade it, and maybe now that DCA is considered successful more money will be put back into Disneyland and things will get better. If not, virtual reality is coming soon and we'll be able to visit an absolute perfect Disneyland in the virtual world where there are no lines, the park never closes, and we can ride old rides that have been closed like Journey Through Inner Space.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Re: Disneyland: 20 Years Ago, It was exciting but also the beginning of a long pause

I think Disneyland will be on an upswing again soon. I think the lessons of DCA and having to spend more on the remodel than they originally spent on the entire park made them realize they can't cheap out on the quality. As mentioned though, Disneyland kinda got put on the back burner to fix DCA. Money well spent though, since the additions are great. The old school L.A. is very well done, World of Color is a great show, TLMM is a cute little ride on it's own, and Cars Land (as unimaginative as the concept is), is the best land they've done in years as far as immersion, and RCR is a worthy E-ticket. On the Disneyland side, well, Star Tours:The Adventures Continue spared no expense either, and as much as I miss the classic version, the update is amazing.
    "Have I gone mad?"
    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

• Former Churro Jockey

BTW, I don't know if you're using 1/1/95 for your list of attractions, but that year the Toy Story Maze in Tomorrowland and the Festival of Fools Area in Fronteirland were also added.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• terrifiednerds.com

The Skyway, the Peoplemover, and the Submarine Voyage! I would love to go back in time to that past version of Disneyland. In my opinion, the place started its decline when they took out the iconic Skull Rock Cove and the Pirate Ship, and tore out Mine Train Through Natures Wonderland. I can't wait until 3-D Virtual Reality glasses hit the market. Perhaps then, somebody will remake past versions of Disneyland that we can go to. (I also predict that one day you will be able to attend your high school reunion, as your past, youthful self, in an exact recreation of the old school, with a computer filling in for those who didn't go, or have died). As it is, I don't have any desire to go to Disneyland anymore, with the high prices and all the bogus changes.

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Those were 1996 additions