Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Mischievous Mouse

Radiator Springs Racer (break down)

Now I know this is well covered topic. I was not surprised that guest relations will not compensate a guest for being caught waiting several times waiting/wasting hours in line to be met with closure after closure after closure during their trip. I spoke with a few cast members that said they have had some bad strings and it's very difficult dealing with so many upset guest so often. It's becoming a very sore point of the new "Land".

As time goes on I doubt this will improve, in fact I believe it will degrade even more (Sept 2012 we experience a rare breakdown over 9 days and rode it several times without incident or delay, but it was only 2 months old then)

If they don't do a major refurb (Jan 2015-whenever) then guest levels will fall off as people will grow more tired of the inconsistency of this attraction and this will be an economic issue. It was not built correctly to go down this often! It must be known. They should fix it FAST!!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Re: Radiator Springs Racer (break down)

It's always good to remember that most "break-downs" at a Disney theme park are never really the ride "breaking down". Much more likely, the ride is closing for one of two reasons: Guests were slow to load, causing an unrecoverable back-up, or there was a detrimental show issue. For the former, it's often as simple as resetting the attraction (though a reset could take a while). For the latter, would you rather ride the ride with key show elements not functioning, or wait through a brief closure so you can experience the full show?

Disney doesn't need to "fix" Racers; it's one of the more reliable attractions in the park(s).
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

• Minion

RSR is still breaking down a lot? And some people thought it would only be a one month thing when it first opened.

It's not surprising considering the issues that plagued Test Track. However, for what it's worth, it's usually running when I go.

Racers CM here. We're actually a little better now than we were in 2012. Indiana Jones had the same problems the first year they were open and a lot of them lingered for another 10 years. Full evacuations are actually pretty rare at Racers these days and most of the Racers Pit Crew/Maintenance has enough practice that we can usually fix single vehicle breakdowns in 10-15 minutes.

I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to go into technical details but I can say that 99.9% of single vehicle breakdowns at Racers aren't due to guest/Pit Crew Member incompetence. In terms of full evacuations I'd say about 15% are due to guests and maybe 0.01-5% due to Pit Crew Members over-reacting.("Over-reacting" is extremely subjective since safety comes first and personally I'm not going to fault a CM for putting safety first.) Short story: don't blame guests or Pit Crew Members for breakdowns at Racers. I wouldn't even blame Maintenance for the single vehicle breakdowns since I know that for as many iffy vehicles they occasionally add on the track, there's 3-4 times as many iffy vehicles that they remove before a problem occurs.

I've rode that ride about 30+ times. Every time I go it usually breaks down 2+ times a day, usually over 45 minutes. One time I went they completely closed it. It kinda is upsetting, it is my favorite ride out of Disneyland/DCA. When I went on the day it opened and the year of it (2012) it broke down even more. I'm glad to see it not break down as much as it used to.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nerdycm View Post
    for as many iffy vehicles they occasionally add on the track, there's 3-4 times as many iffy vehicles that they remove before a problem occurs.
    What makes a vehicle "iffy?"

You aren't compensated for the missed ride because Disney isn't guaranteeing you a ride, but simply admission and a chance to ride the available rides. If everyone who missed a ride due to breakdown is told to come back and they will be accommodated, that displaces the folks currently in line--are they to be compensated too? This would create all kinds of cascading problems. Some things you just have to chalk up to bad luck and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    On-board computer screw ups?

They could run less cars meaning it wouldn't stop for slow guests as often but then lines would be longer. Also it stops if something falls from a track and I'm always surprised at how many people still wear hats that are loose and fly off onto the track.

• Mischievous Mouse

No other ride has the high speed this one does for the final 1/3rd. Safety "IS" numero uno!! but through time and education (cumulative knowledge) they should be able t iron out more wrinkles. Gawd, I really feel for the RSR CM's having to "DEAL" with these issues. And guests don't like paying for magic mornings at DCA only to be told.."sorry" the most popular ride in the entire resort is DOWN AGAIN!!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

I think honestly the number of breakdowns has gone done for RSR. I was there the second month that it was open and ended up waiting 4 hours in the SR line because of a faulty car but other than that have not had a breakdown in the 14 or 15 times that I've ridden it after that first time.

I'm not surprised that it had (and still has some) issues as that was a factor that the Imagineers had to consider when "recycling" and "plussing" the Test Track ride system, but I've heard from some Floridians that RSR is much more reliable than Test Track is.

I think overall we should just be glad that it's a great racing attraction and isn't having as many break downs as one particular Tomorrowland attraction that shall not be named.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Typically it's an irregular noise but I'm sure Maintenance takes other thinks into account since they do have a decent amount of mechanical and electrical expertise on their crew. If a vehicle faults and they fix it unusually fast then us Pit Crew Members hesitate to add it back on/cross out fingers when we're forced to add it back on to regain capacity. It's only happened less than 8 times in the past year but sometimes Maintenance will "fix" a vehicle that faulted and the same vehicle will fault again after traversing the track 2-3 times.

California Screamin' is the fastest attraction at the resort with a top speed of 55 mph while Racers only hits 40, which is still a decent speed. Surprisingly, it's not like 80% of the vehicle faults occur on the racetrack. I'd guess about 45-65% occur on the racetrack but that number might be even lower if you count the rainy days where a track switch fault somehow triggers a vehicle fault.

Slow guests don't cause us to break down, unlike the other attractions I mentioned earlier. Worst case scenario is slow guests cause a back-up in the show building. Typically we just end up re-riding the guests who got stuck in the show building or on the racetrack due to the back-up if they complain. (Yes, we do keep track of which cars got stuck and which cars finished their race/stopped before the show building.)

• Your cadaverous pallor

it doesn't go down as often as: Splash mountain, Matterhorn , Screamin, or Indy from what I have experienced
    I Fresh baked!

• Banned User

Are you a paid employee? Why defend a totally anti customer service attitude? Big 'deal that poor Disneyland would give a guest a return visit fastpass when THEY are responsible for the maintence of the attraction NOT the guest.

It's attitude like yours that seems to permeate the "US against the GUEST" mantra of late. Sorry that's NOT the spirit WALT intended.

Further - do you "care" that some folks plan to make the journey to these parks JUST for these attractions? Spend a FORTUNE along with it?

I say this is a horrible trend that is NOT limited to RSR.

Speaking from experience RECENTLY - I was TRAPPED inside the Matterhorn for 50 MINUTES. I was a single rider. First - they said no return passes for single riders(??!) then they said yes, then no, they finally evacuated us. Friends and I waited 45 MINUTES to ride the ride and was our last ride before exiting the park.

Finally they "decided" to give ALL a return fastpass as a result of the breakdown -- only to realize they are "contingent" that you must ONLY use them ONLY that day they are given to you - conditionally. Meaning you "must" use that Fastpass ONLY on this visit on "this" day - period. This is BS. Even if - the Matterhorn or the ride you waited and wasted your visit on - never reopens - on that day....??!!

As a marketing veteran at a competing entertainment company I went directly to Guest Services and demanded a extension on this "return fastpass" for use on my next visit. I was leaving the park and being forced to use a offer on their terms was grossly unfair -- and of course the response to me was the official attitude -- negative - yet "I" the customer had no responbility in the "called" shutdown of the attraction - get it?

I told the guest relations person that the policy is stacked AGAINST the customer since it would now be "noted" in my "AP file" and that this extension of my fastpass was an "exception" and that I was "now" made aware of this "policy"......!!! And I would never again be granted an exception. O M G !!

I'm not interested in those "let me tell you why they do these Nazi like policy" decision answer backs folks - guess what -- there are NO EXCUSES and for God sake so mean spirited - period! This is crazy and scary!!

They are very happy having a million "disclaimers" about what they "don't have to provide" written everywhere we sign something to get them out of any accountability to PROVIDE US WITH SERVICE in exchange for taking our $700 year for my pass or yours - no matter what the price is - they don't care or differentiate. We are all equal.

When are some of you going to STOP defending "rules" that deminish our right to an experience ON OUR TERMS - the CUSTOMER? When is it convenient for us? So what if that "effects" a future operational date - that's the COST of doing business and you can't "limit your liability" out of that. Disneyland now has survived 60 years taking care if it's customers - and big crowds are not a new, recent, or subsequent result of too many AP'rs. There are CROWD problems everywhere everyday at ANY theme park etc all over the world.

As a result of the "decided" shut down of ANY attraction - guests - NOT the park should allow us the freedom to revisit that experience for US to enjoy - no matter what impact it might OR it might not have at that time - tough.

You can't operate yourself out of accountability I don't care how many disclaimers are in the "contracts".

Speak up people! Stop "worrying" about these BULLYING policies and "tough luck" attitudes by guest relations etc...and the business executives...

I AM RIGHT! SPEAK UP!
    Last edited by AuthenticDisney; 07-26-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Errors

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast