Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: First timer to Disneyland

double post
    Last edited by The Real McDuck; 07-30-2014 at 02:14 PM. Reason: double post

I personally find it difficult to enjoy Fantasmic! anymore unless I do the Fantasmic! cheese tray option with the special seating. Even then, if I don't get there like two hours early to stand in line so that I can grab a spot in the first row, I'm sure someone really tall is going to end up sitting in front of me which means I just lost sixty bucks for a plate of cheese that I'm not overly fond of. The all you can drink drinks aren't bad, so long as they keep coming. In my experience, they stop coming after about the third refill.

If I'm going to do Fantasmic!, and don't want to wait around forever for a good viewing spot, I'll do the cheese platter/reserved seating thing. The dragon, if it works, and that's a big if sometimes, was a wonderful addition to a show that I found to be aging not so gracefully before.

This bit of advice is based upon me spoiling myself with a few years of watching from the reserved seating section and comparing that to the last time I watched the show, where my son and I waited on the banks of the Rivers of America for perhaps four to five, possibly six hours. During that time, the two of us were lying on the ground doing nothing, while people walked over us. Sure, other people joined us in our sitting venture for the upcoming show. I don't think we were even the first people waiting, either. In any case, it demonstrated how valuable the reserved seating is, because even though we'd waited that long and were pressed up against the edge of the viewing area, people still managed to squeeze their way in front of us right before the show began.
    Last edited by The Real McDuck; 07-30-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Make your reservations now for dinner at The Blue Bayou.
    Don't settle for a table in the middle, ask specifically for a waterside table and wait the additional 30 minutes.
    The shooting star on the ceiling is working again and food isn't bad at all. It's a little pricey, but watching park guests float by is really fun. It's a true submersion environment and remains one of the last original aspects of NOS. Enjoy! But make your reservations early.

Quote Originally Posted by David A View Post
    Make your reservations now for dinner at The Blue Bayou.
    Don't settle for a table in the middle, ask specifically for a waterside table and wait the additional 30 minutes.
    The shooting star on the ceiling is working again and food isn't bad at all. It's a little pricey, but watching park guests float by is really fun. It's a true submersion environment and remains one of the last original aspects of NOS. Enjoy! But make your reservations early.
    Yes, this is a must! When you check in with the front counter, give them a smile and politely ask for a waterside table and be willing to wait for one no matter how long it takes to be seated. It's definitely worth it. We were given the table directly across from the old man in the rocking chair. It was truly magical.

• Minion

FOLKS!!!!! She is with a group that hass never visited a Disney park!!! What do you think their memory is going to be?????? "We waited an hour and half for this, and an hour an half for this, and hour for this, Disneyland is just one big waiting line. Ditch the shows !!!! Ditch the reservations, treat your friends to a memory not a bureaucracy

I'd suggest other than planning what shows to see, and dinner reservations, don't go overboard with planning. I feel like when people go nuts with the planning and trying to strategize fast passes, etc you lose out on a bit of the magic since you're on a constant mission to maximize everything. Walk around, take in the sights, and let Disneyland just kinda HAPPEN.
    "Have I gone mad?"
    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySpaceAce View Post
    I'd suggest other than planning what shows to see, and dinner reservations, don't go overboard with planning. I feel like when people go nuts with the planning and trying to strategize fast passes, etc you lose out on a bit of the magic since you're on a constant mission to maximize everything. Walk around, take in the sights, and let Disneyland just kinda HAPPEN.
    Right on Ace, agree with this strategy for a first timer visitor who has no desire to be in the park

Welcome to Micechat ACE!!!

• Evil is Sexy

We did the "let it happen" recently when my family came out to visit and did Disneyland for 3 days. As fas as I know, they all had a wonderful time. Me, I really wished I could have gotten them moving earlier each day so they could have ridden RSR or gotten WoC passes, but besides that I don't think there was any major thing they missed and they loved it.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Minion

Hey, WildeNight, was the average time of entry into the park?? This is the one thing I always stress when Helping folks with THREE DAY VISITS, arrive early, go back and nap, then take in a whole new park at night.

If you end up going by yourself on the first day, be sure to utilize the single rider lines! Have a fantastic trip!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySpaceAce View Post
    I'm not really too big on planning out fast passes other than oh there's a line, better fast pass it and move on. But I don't want my friends to feel rushed around especially since it's everyone's first time to a Disney park. I have brought quite a few friends on their first adventure to Walt Disney World and they all have loved it. I doubt Blue Bayou will happen since some are going to be strapped on cash as it is with this trip, but we shall see. I would really love to take them all to a character breakfast.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

As for earlier suggestions on sitting in the wet zone way up front on WOC I would like to point out that is strictly their opinion. I personally prefer to view it from further back as it allows you to see the show in the aggregate of its smaller parts, which in my opinion is much more impressive than seeing it from up front, where it can be much like watching a tennis match at times with the back and forth you would have to do to take it all in.

Similarly you don't need to be right in front of the castle to view the fireworks. Remember, fireworks are shot up into the sky so the bulk of your show will be above and not in front. I prefer watching the fireworks on Main Street anywhere between Coke Corner and the Gibson Girl. You might miss some projections but IMO watching it further back allows the castle and the Matterhorn to fill your visual frame, and the show is much more beautiful with all of this added in there.

After the fireworks go directly to the 10:30 showing of Fantasmic! You won't have to wait that long. Once again not being close up doesn't make a difference. Just be sure to get a spot where a pole or a tree isn't blocking your view.

In a nutshell there really is no reason to be waiting any more than 20-30 minutes for a show especially if being in the first row isn't as important for you.

• Evil is Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by laferney Road kid View Post
    Hey, WildeNight, was the average time of entry into the park?? This is the one thing I always stress when Helping folks with THREE DAY VISITS, arrive early, go back and nap, then take in a whole new park at night.
    Hah. The first day we got in at 1000, the second day at 0900 because we stayed across the street and the third day was unplanned (but available since we were able to get everyone those $129 three-day military special park hoppers) on one of the reserved days off from theme parks and we arrived just after 1100. WoC was sold out for us the last two days when we went to check. Both times we tried between 1030 and 1100. Just a heads up.

I'll get around to posting a trip report about it all. But, the only people in my family I can get motivated to be on time are me, husband, my father and nephew. The girls... pft... forget about it.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

I loved the Disneyland resort! I came in with somewhat lower expectations but I was blown away, especially by Indiana Jones (by far my favorite ride). My friends all seemed to enjoy it and were amazed at how different Disney was than any of your regular theme parks. I got to enjoy WOC (I only cried a little). I was good until the Mufasa death scene! Overall I would definitely go back and I still have somethings that I didn't get to do so that gives me plenty of reasons to come back!

• Minion

thank you for writing back and sharing your trip.

For the hundreds who are viewing this site at any given time, could you share about your low expectations vs being blown away.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast