Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Re: Under current management, is Club 33 a 'true club' or an upper level Annual Passp

Quote Originally Posted by ParkHopper1 View Post
    Individuals, Sole Proprietors and Partnerships can not deduct the initiation fees and annual dues of a "social club". You can deduct the meals and entertaining expenses if you are hosing a client or business related party, but not the dues...Unless you are a corporation and the membership is in the corporate name.
    So incorporate youreself, then make sure you keep meticulously-segregated accounts.
    ______
    Rachane

• Minion

Re: Under current management, is Club 33 a 'true club' or an upper level Annual Passp

Individuals, Sole Proprietors and Partnerships can not deduct the initiation fees and annual dues of a "social club". You can deduct the meals and entertaining expenses if you are hosing a client or business related party, but not the dues...Unless you are a corporation and the membership is in the corporate name.

This is true for Country Clubs as well.
    I have been told even corporations cannot write off membership fees and dues, unless it is classified a benefit to the employee, then it has to be passed to the employee to be taxed. Can you set me straight?
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Re: Under current management, is Club 33 a 'true club' or an upper level Annual Passp

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    I have been told even corporations cannot write off membership fees and dues, unless it is classified a benefit to the employee, then it has to be passed to the employee to be taxed. Can you set me straight?
    This is correct.

That is probably correct...point being that unless you are Chevron or a major corporation, you are paying for Club 34 initiation and dues with post tax money and the argument that members can "write it off" most likely does not apply...but I am sure there are some REALLY creative CPAs that would find a way (although the IRS would probably disagree!)

Smile Re: Under current management, is Club 33 a 'true club' or an upper level Annual Passp

That is probably correct...point being that unless you are Chevron or a major corporation, you are paying for Club 34 initiation and dues with post tax money and the argument that members can "write it off" most likely does not apply.
    In this Brave New World of Citizens United & other Gonzo Bad Craziness, every corporation has the same rights as every other corporation; as Yoda sez: "Size matters not." The essential thing is that if you incorporate, you run your corporate books strictly and impeccably separate from your personal ones. In short, you obey all the same rules that Chevron does. Indeed you will probably obey them better than Chevron does.
    ______
    Rachane

Quote Originally Posted by theatremouse View Post
    I wonder if some of the issue here is in terminology? Where I'm from when one refers to "salaried" one means "exempt". Full time hourly employees who are entitled to OT are usually referred to simply as "Full time hourly".

And I agree the descriptions above would seem to limit who can and cannot be exempt but in my experience, employers will only offer a full time position if it is exempt. I know of many discussions with HR professionals (at multiple companies I worker for/with) that involved rewriting job descriptions to maximize the number of exempt positions. It's hardly limited to those you'd consider managers and executives, and apparently, it's much easier to rephrase a couple of things, barely actually changing the nature of a position, just to be able to work someone many extra hours "when needed" (ie whenever we want) to avoid having to pay OT. Any position which truly could not be made exempt was kept as a part time position.

Basically, I don't know anyone with a full time job who doesn't frequently work more than 40 hours a week, will never see OT. Now, many are paid well enough such that, if you did break it out per hour, they're still reasonably compensated, but I'm not talking people making six figure salaries.

That said, apparently my food/lodging/medical/utility costs must be well below average based on the math examples above. If I'd put myself on the waitlist 10 years ago, apparently I could afford the Club. Not that I'd spend my savings on that right now. I'm saving for a house. It's just interesting to me and goes to show people's spending habits/personal budget breakdowns seem to vary widely.[/COLOR]
    We don't have the exempt and non-exempt type thing really here, OT rules are based on management vs not management. Management at certain levels can be exempt, but non-management in most industries have to be paid OT.

(There are some exceptions depending on job type and industry where OT doesn't apply, but most workers do not work in these industries.)

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Same here. That's actually why, in my current job, I negotiated to stay hourly instead of salaried. My time is important, and I firmly believe in having a life-work balance. If someone wants to keep me longer than I'm scheduled to work, I expect to be compensated for the extra time. And I know that's against the whole American "work yourself into the ground and be happy about it" ethos, but I don't think a workplace should have the right to make you work indefinitely without paying you for it.

When I lived in the US, I always stayed hourly. I worked in the airline industry and I could easily make more hourly then any of our airport supervisors could who were salaried at a pretty low rate and worked 12-16 hour days sometimes, per hour they made less then me.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    He stated he was salaried and working 60 hour weeks but only being paid for 40 hours. Where I am located unless in management or one of the few excluded work groups from OT pay, a salaried employee is entitled to OT pay. Fixed salaries are based on 8 hours per day/40 hours per week.

An employer can't say oh your salary, so work 60 hours per week, that's not legal here for most workers.
    In the US - most 'professional' positions are considered EXEMPT and hence not entitled to OT by law (employers can always pay more than the law requires). Categories like 'executive, administrative, professional' catch many. There are many specific exemptions too. But the 'professional' one catches most types of white collar workers. Many companies do pay OT (especially those with unions.. or strong union pasts) for salaried employees.. but for most white collar 'salary' people in the US means... you are paid on an expected work schedule.. not by the hour. Working more hours does not guarantee more pay, and certainly not OT.

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/screen75.asp
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Pilot EdForceOne

Employee benefits are taxable.. such as these. It used to be a lot looser, but a proper joint will put such perks on your W-2 if you have regular benefits from it.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    In the US - most 'professional' positions are considered EXEMPT and hence not entitled to OT by law (employers can always pay more than the law requires). Categories like 'executive, administrative, professional' catch many. There are many specific exemptions too. But the 'professional' one catches most types of white collar workers. Many companies do pay OT (especially those with unions.. or strong union pasts) for salaried employees.. but for most white collar 'salary' people in the US means... you are paid on an expected work schedule.. not by the hour. Working more hours does not guarantee more pay, and certainly not OT.

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/screen75.asp

One of the many reasons I no longer live in the US. I just don't understand the benefit to the employee to work more then 40 hours a week and why people will do it. Just leads to companies taking advantage of people.

• Disneyland Dreamer

One of the many reasons I no longer live in the US. I just don't understand the benefit to the employee to work more then 40 hours a week and why people will do it. Just leads to companies taking advantage of people.
    Employment is a mutually agreed upon contract. People who put in the effort and get results get the rewards. Just saying.

Well, I had quite a bit of work today near Warner Bros Studios today, so after, we had dinner at The Smoke House.
    I really have to admit, the place is just terrific. We discussed Club 33 the entire time, most of it was extremely negative of course and we compared our dishes to those offered at the club. Honestly, there was no comparison. We loved our food, left full and happy, and we were treated wonderfully by their well trained staff. Best thing of all, I didn't need to pay a membership fee and the price for all three of us to eat, $80.00 with tax and gratuity. They offer 25% off if eating prior to 6:00PM.
    My Lord, what a fabulous old place.
    Our meal at the club last Saturday was approx. $140.00 per person with tax, tip and gratuity and the food was, well, pretty to look at but lacking in flavor and substance. Not worth the money and certainly worth the countless headaches the park management has caused us since 2012.
    If you visit The Smoke House, you must order the garlic bread!
    I sure wish the club served food like this, it might be worth the poor treatment and cutbacks in benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Employment is a mutually agreed upon contract. People who put in the effort and get results get the rewards. Just saying.
    Putting in 60 hours a week and only being paid 40 hours a week is of no benefit to me, I see no reward for the lost wages for the extra 20 hours per week.

Plenty of people get results and put in effort and only work 40 hours per week and might even be more productive, hours worked does not mean one is more productive or getting more results.

In my particular industry, employers wont do more then 40 hours per week, there is no benefit to the company for the employees to work more, only costs the company more with very limited return back.
    Last edited by jsmith11618; 08-02-2014 at 10:00 PM.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Putting in 60 hours a week and only being paid 40 hours a week is of no benefit to me, I see no reward for the lost wages for the extra 20 hours per week.

Plenty of people get results and put in effort and only work 40 hours per week and might even be more productive, hours worked does not mean one is more productive or getting more results.

In my particular industry, employers wont do more then 40 hours per week, there is no benefit to the company for the employees to work more, only costs the company more with very limited return back.
    Lets just put it this way. I put in that effort because I'm an A+ player. My Avg yearly increase is in the double digit % every year over year over year for the past decade. You don't get that by only doing the bare minimum. You get those rewards for demonstrating consistently that you bring massive value and will do whatever it takes to move the business forward.

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Lets just put it this way. I put in that effort because I'm an A+ player. My Avg yearly increase is in the double digit % every year over year over year for the past decade. You don't get that by only doing the bare minimum. You get those rewards for demonstrating consistently that you bring massive value and will do whatever it takes to move the business forward.
    Well said. I'm in a similar position. I work 55+ hours a week. I may not get OT, but I sure get annual raises based on performance. You gotta put in the hours if you want to be a high-performer. That's true no matter what the job is.

"I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast