Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States
    I'll refrain from making my usual "You get what you pay for" remarks- especially with my dear friends at Intamin - oh wait, I guess I didn't.

The trains on Screamin' have done quite well, for now, but we'll see how long that lasts.

The launch system (not the upper slow crawl system) was built without proper cooling for the ambient temperatures that occur (whether or not the ride is in the sun).
    Add to this, Disney's desire to launch rather frequently, and you've got a recipe for overheat - don't worry all you sissies and worrywarts, it's nothing dangerous- just annoying as it shuts the ride down. They have tried stopgap methods, but so far they've only been marginally effective.

Well, if Disney had built a more thematically appropriate real wooden coaster with a chain-driven lift hill for Paradise Pier, they wouldn't be having this problem. They would also be free to build a LIM coaster elsewhere in the park, perhaps an indoor one.

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    Why havn't they worked with intimin on new technology for the LIMs???

It is how old.... granted this is disney's first in the sun... (others being indoors..) but their has to be something out there now to get the operation up to the 5/6 trains.... (and they are wasting money sytaffing duo loading stations for three trains....
    They *could* install hydrolic launch like on TTD, but there is not enough room for it and the amount of money it would take would be huge.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by cfparkmanager
    The problem with Screamin' has nothing to do with the trains. That is one part of this roller coaster that has been a flat out success, except for the onboard sound systems. They're very well designed to keep up with Disney's demands for a high capacity attraction.
    So, what is the problem?

Overheating LIMs? I've seen it run with 5 and 6 trains in the past without overheating (after the sprinklers were added).

A couple years ago I heard they were having problems with micro-cracks in the structure that had to be welded up... Are those coming back and they need to run low capacity to catch up?

Or, does Disney just not want guests finishing all DCA's rides that people actually want to ride, in 2 hours? Drop capacity, lines get longer, takes longer to ride, suddenly it is a 5 hour park instead of a 3 hour park... Walkways look busier...

• Banned User

Maintenance is the issue because the ride has not ever had a refurbishment. It needs one soon and that is the reason why all the trains are not running along with the LIM problem. If you notice, even the launch area is all rusted and the track needs painting. Also the ride is not as smooth as it used to be due to the cars needing repair along with the track.

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    Why havn't they worked with intimin on new technology for the LIMs???

It is how old.... granted this is disney's first in the sun... (others being indoors..) but their has to be something out there now to get the operation up to the 5/6 trains.... (and they are wasting money sytaffing duo loading stations for three trains....
    its not the first coaster in the sun or did you forget thunder is mostly outdoors. even there the LIMs have issues especially on hot days. granted they are not launching a train at that speed but they still get a workout. it may be better for them not to run full capacity than to have the LIMs spontaniously catch on fire.
    that and the ones running at screamin are closer to the best technology than some other places.
    i have no idea

• Banned User

It doesn't move any more people through the line any faster. That makes no sense, since you can only move as many people through the line as you can dispatch trains.

There isn't a stacking issue on Screamin' with three train operation with only one side open, unless there is a major passenger issue which is uncommon since there are no seat belts on this attraction. I've seen 4-train operation on this ride with only one side and only then did they have some minor stacking of the trains, but rarely more than one deep on the brake run. A very slow handicap rider transfering from wheel chair to train or vice versa is about the only thing that slows down a train dispatch to cause the ride to stack with three train operation and only one side. If the trains are not stacking then the ride is operating at maximum capacity for the number of trains on the circuit.

Your impression of a faster moving line is merly a perception, but in reality is it isn't faster.

The number one problem with California Screamin and the long lines right now is: FastPass.

Under the current operating conditions FastPass for this attraction should just be turned off. EVERYONE would benefit with a reasonable line for California Screamin' with no FastPass. By my estimates the stand-by line would be 20 minutes or less the majority of the time on busy days and RARELY reach 30 minutes. At many times during the day the line would be non-existent or under 10 minutes. Presently, you either (if you can) get a FastPass valid in a couple of hours or longer or opt to stand in a 45-70 minute Stand-By line. A 20-minute line is a short wait for a long ride like Screamin. In the end EVERYONE would be better off if Disney would wisely SHUT OFF FastPass on Screamin' until they can get the ride operating at or near capacity.

I thought FastPass was seeing its way out on more attractions. It's a shame they're not more aggressive in taking it out since I think it's making the problem with Screamin' even worse. If you can't get rid of it how about reduce the hours for FastPass to Noon to 6 p.m. and have a free-for-all opening until Noon and after 6 p.m.
    Thanks for filling me in. I agree with you on the fastpass thing however.

So there is seven trains altogether. I have seen two green trains on the track at once, so the second green is the seventh train I'm assuming?

Let me get this straight: There are seven trains altogether. The ride was originally planned to be able to operate six at one time. Due to computer problems, the six train was rarely ever used. Then, due to overheating issues, the fifth train is never used anymore.

I just wish they would get the sound system working on all the vehicles again ... very rarely have I had music in the past couple of visits.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

So if it's the LIM's that are heating up in the sun, would anyone really object to an overhead shade there? Or...as long as we're throwing Disney's money around, install a second parallel set of LIM's and alternate via track switching.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Banned User

I would referbish this coaster for 6 months making the Lims be in some sort of tube....... too bad that would ruin the effect of a wave carring you up the hill....

• That's Hawt

That's supposed to be a wave ..... oh .... well.... it's not like anybody knows that anyways. The most I have ever seen running was 5 when I went last summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    I'm not really sure what they can do with this ride...they are certainly not going to close it for the refurbishment that it needs until at LEAST this fall, and likely not until after the 50th ends, as it is a huge attraction for DCA to have closed. In the meantime, they ought to at least swap the trains out one at a time for a couple weeks at a time to refurbish them, and I'm sure they could paint small sections of the track at night. Maybe they should install fans (or air conditioning units) near the LIMs to keep them cool, in addition to the water they spray on it--that would cool the LIMs faster and not affect guest experience at all. If you've ever been to Animal Kingdom in the summer, they have fans huge fans installed around the park that they spray water through, which helps you cool off in the hotter than SoCal temperatures.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Banned User

They painted a portion of the launch that was badly rusted at least(the part by the misters).

• șoș Tom șoș

To the best of my knowledge California Screamin' was designed for six train operation with eleven separate blocks not including those on the transfer track or car barn.

I've seen the coaster operate with five trains, but it has been a few years. Rumors stated that six train operation was never finalized due to computer problems, but I'd guess they could've been resolved. It likely they never bothered to get to six train operation due to the LIM's which I'll get into shortly.

Lately, three train operation sadly seems to be the norm which does not require the dual station loading or unloading. This is a 6,000 foot coaster. I think the only reason it gets staffed for the dual station is to give off the appearance that they're operating at maximum capacity.

It is very likely that the Linear Induction Motors are the real culprit behind all of the problems. Overheating is always an issue with these devices. The cold water will help, but only too a point. Screamin' does sit in the sun and that presents more problems for LIMs.
    I was unaware the LIM trains created a lot of heat- I have only ever ridden one other LIM attraction the old Superman Great Escape at Six Flags and I don't recall water being involved.

Hence I thought it was strange the water being sprayed on the tracks. If there is little friction, where is the heat being generated? I sincerely am interested if someone can post an answer, I want to better understand this thread.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    I was unaware the LIM trains created a lot of heat- I have only ever ridden one other LIM attraction the old Superman Great Escape at Six Flags and I don't recall water being involved.
    I don't understand this overheat thing either.....

RnRC at MGM launches 24 people, 0 to 60, about once every 45-50 seconds for a capacity of 1800 an hour.

Screamin' launches 24 people, 0 to 55, about once every 35-40 seconds for a max capacity of 2400ish an hour.

Trains don't seem to be that much different to me.

Is 10-12 seconds.... 20-25% shorter reset time... that big of a deal?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast