Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Yay, Blunt Force Trauma!!

[QUOTE=thndrmtnskp]actually they do they just aren't as powerfull and aren't used to launch the train at a high rate of speed. when you're standing in the station looking at the track the long skinny things that open and close are the brakes, the short one near the back being a trim brake that slows it and the longer one near the front is the one that stops it. right by both of those are these black shoe box shaped things in rows those are LIMs. QUOTE] I stand corrected.

• Banned User

Four train operation as of 3/25.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by thndrmtnskp
    actually they do they just aren't as powerfull and aren't used to launch the train at a high rate of speed. when you're standing in the station looking at the track the long skinny things that open and close are the brakes, the short one near the back being a trim brake that slows it and the longer one near the front is the one that stops it. right by both of those are these black shoe box shaped things in rows those are LIMs. they are used to gently push the train into the tunnel, cuz the weight of the train isn't enough to move it. there are also LIMs in the brake section in front of the town area those ones are used to slow down the train and push it forward into the station. and i also know that on hot days when thunder is running 5 trains its possible for the ones out by the town to overheat and give out, which for those of you who have stood in line and heard that loud buzzing noise comming from there that is what is causing it.
    This is not correct. There are some very primitive LIMs or some variation of them that are used for Big Thunder on the transfer track, car barn and track from the loading platforms to the car barn. I originally thought they were pinch wheels, but someone who's more knowledgeable about this attraction corrected me.

These devices are used primarily to add or remove a train from the circuit. They may also be used to advance the train forward from the block directly outside the Y before the split loading station. I suspect they are since the train if stopped outside the split loading station accelerates much faster than gravity would permit. It make sense to keep the trains moving to maximize capacity.

I can tell you for sure that they're not used to brake the trains. Big Thunder like most steel coasters use fin brakes to slow and stop the train. Superman The Escape and Tower of Tower in Dreamworld, Australia were the first rides to use an electric powered motor magnetic breaking system (LSM).

I will look again in the tunnels, but I don't recall seeing them and I usually pay more attention to the equipment at an amusement park then the surrounding theme. In the tunnels before the second and third lift hill you can see a winch assembly that is used if they must stop a train below the start of the chain lift. If a train is stopped before the chain lift they will winch the train on the chain and reset the ride. Under normal operation the brakes before the lifts trim the speed, but do not stop the train so the train continue on their course using their own inertia (sorry,spelling?)

Overheating of the LIMs or devices at Big Thunder is not a problem I've heard about before and I seriously doubt its an issue. The heat would not be generated if they're only advancing the trains at slow speeds. Its the sudden charge of power and the amount required to launch a train that creates the problem. You'll notice that there is no water cooling system on the lifts for screamin since they LIMs are used differently.

• Sock Puppet

I'd like to report that Screamin' was operating with five trains on Wednesday evening. Red, Purple, Green, Green and Orange were cycling. The ride was designed for six train operation, but five is the most Disney operates with. I'd suspect they never went forward with six train operation because it would only make the overheating issue worse.

• Bear Member

I'd like to report that I really like California Screamin'. I know alot of people don't like Paradise Pier, but I think Disney nailed the "Sea-side coaster" theme. I just wish they would put something up on the backside of the ride, so you can't see out of the park while you're riding.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by cfparkmanager
    I'd like to report that Screamin' was operating with five trains on Wednesday evening. Red, Purple, Green, Green and Orange were cycling. The ride was designed for six train operation, but five is the most Disney operates with. I'd suspect they never went forward with six train operation because it would only make the overheating issue worse.
    On Friday the 1st they were cycling five trains as well. Three or two, I can't remember, had music. There was red, purple, orange, and two green. When they have five trains out on the track, it really makes the area seem busy and alive. However, I haven't seen yellow or blue out on the track recently( I like when they match the bottom colors of the trains).

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    They could make the launch zone a tunneled area, it's all dark and spooky then suddenly strobes goo and ZOOOOOOOOOOM

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234