View Poll Results: What's BAD about working at Disneyland?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • the lack of freedom to set my schedule

6 35.29%
  • the food provided for CMs

3 17.65%
  • the parking for CMs

8 47.06%
  • Having to take our uniforms home

2 11.76%
  • Awareness that my full-time American Salary is 1000x < the CEOs

3 17.65%
  • learning from an insider that the People mover track will NEVER be remned

0 0%
  • the new MagicBands 2.0 requirements such as having to hug a guest who demands one

0 0%
  • cleaning Disneyland's 200 kitty litter boxes with no meows of thaks

1 5.88%
  • the inability to correct terrible parents.

4 23.53%
  • guests who visit too often and have lost sight of what is good

4 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: For CMs & former CMs ONLY, what's BAD about working at Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by nerdycm View Post
    The parking situation currently is even worse with the construction in K-Lot crowding more CMs into Pumba. Air conditioning only works on about half the K-Lot shuttles and water frequently leaks from the AC on at least one shuttle with "functional" AC.
    It's been horrible in Pumbaa all this week! Pumbaa has been filling up by 3PM and then Security officers get yelled at by the CM's we don't let in, and the Parking team rerouted the entry/exit lanes to make it harder to check for ID's.

And we aren't even in a high AP visitation period, so it could be worse. Although that's why they chose to work on KCML in July/August when the AP's were blocked out to give them some breathing room, from what I was told.

When we do have to park at KCML, I almost enjoy sitting in the back row beneath the non working air conditioner that drips water on you. The seats are moldy, but since they are rarely used they aren't as greasy (literally, the upholstery has dark slippery grease on it) and they don't have that rancid smell of aged French fry grease from the Tomorrowland Terrace crew that sat in it before you.

And I love it when the driver puts on some trashy drive-time radio DJ playing raunchy hip-hop and telling PG-13 rated jokes. And your smooshed in next to some 80 year old Stores lady from The Emporium who is mortified and you just have to stare out the dirty window praying the shuttle ride won't take more than 10 minutes. It's hell.

• former CM

. . . Another gripe is the lack of advancement for most CMs. Cars Land Attractions has CMs who are/were paralegals, military, Android programmers, stunt choreographers, graphic designers, sales managers, VFX artists/editors, and chemical engineers. Obviously some of us are retired/going to school but there's still so much wasted talent at Disney. The CM checking your seatbelts might have a resume that includes managing a team of at least 100 and balancing 6-7 figure operations budgets.
    I've read that ride operators are among the most over-educated workers in America in terms of their degrees and the education required to operate their attractions. But I get it and I might--with my 3 graduate degrees--return to Disneyland when I'm in my 60s. Working there was fun and meaningful.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    I am just curious as to why people are concerned about the CEO pay at companies? It really makes no difference in the end to an employee, and well is Disney's pay really that low for unskilled. . .
    "Unskilled" is an offensive term if you think about it, but it's still ubiquitous.

Why are people concerned? Morale. It's weird that almost no one seems bothered by rewards in stock. Steve Jobs received $1 for a while when he returned to Apple, & Lee Iococca took a $1 a year at Chrysler while it got back on its feet. But they both cashed in in the end. Politicians (JFK, Bloomberg & Arnold) have taken a buck a year--of course after they already had tens of millions.

I don't mind when the founder of a company (Walt or Bill Gates) owns a lot in stock, but for some irrational reason, it bugs me just a little to know that any Disney leader has a salary + stock compensation that's > 100xs the salary of Disney's lowest-paid, full-time, American workers. I'm certainly not claiming that my objecting makes me in any way good. Iger is kind of brilliant, an excellent communicator and seems like a nice guy. But I want the minimum wage increased, a (hard to establish) world-wide minimum wage, and I want Disney Cruise ship workers to work fewer than 77 hours a week, and I don't want them to go 4 months in a row without a day off. All of the workers you call "unskilled" make Iger, Staggs, & Rasulo's compensation packages (shocking by pre-1980s or international standards) possible.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 07-31-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    When we do have to park at KCML, I almost enjoy sitting in the back row beneath the non working air conditioner that drips water on you. The seats are moldy, but since they are rarely used they aren't as greasy (literally, the upholstery has dark slippery grease on it) and they don't have that rancid smell of aged French fry grease from the Tomorrowland Terrace crew that sat in it before you.

And I love it when the driver puts on some trashy drive-time radio DJ playing raunchy hip-hop and telling PG-13 rated jokes. And your smooshed in next to some 80 year old Stores lady from The Emporium who is mortified and you just have to stare out the dirty window praying the shuttle ride won't take more than 10 minutes. It's hell.
    Oh my gosh! This is scary accurate. It also explains why there are some CMs who will circle Pumba for 10-15 minutes to find a spot rather than park in K-Lot, which I find a little ridiculous.

Not all shuttle experiences are bad. I did have a decent chat while sitting next to a cute CM who works at the Cozy Cone the other day. Too bad I forgot to catch her name, number, and relationship status. However, I'm not sure scouting for single ladies on the shuttle is the best idea.... It's still less awkward than flirting with those attractive Custodial CMs in the Subway line at the cafeteria, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    "Unskilled" is an offensive term if you think about it, but it's still ubiquitous.

Why are people concerned? Morale. It's weird that almost no one seems bothered by rewards in stock. Steve Jobs received $1 for a while when he returned to Apple, & Lee Iococca took a $1 a year at Chrysler while it got back on its feet. But they both cashed in in the end. Politicians (JFK, Bloomberg & Arnold) have taken a buck a year--of course after they already had tens of millions.

I don't mind when the founder of a company (Walt or Bill Gates) owns a lot in stock, but for some irrational reason, it bugs me just a little to know that any Disney leader has a salary + stock compensation that's > 100xs the salary of Disney's lowest-paid, full-time, American workers. I'm certainly not claiming that my objecting makes me in any way good. Iger is kind of brilliant, an excellent communicator and seems like a nice guy. But I want the minimum wage increased, a (hard to establish) world-wide minimum wage, and I want Disney Cruise ship workers to work fewer than 77 hours a week, and I don't want them to go 4 months in a row without a day off. All of the workers you call "unskilled" make Iger, Staggs, & Rasulo's compensation packages (shocking by pre-1980s or international standards) possible.
    I am an unskilled worker, and the CEO pay doesn't affect me one bit where I have worked, and the CEO could work for free and there would be no net gain for the employees.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    I am an unskilled worker, and the CEO pay doesn't affect me one bit where I have worked, and the CEO could work for free and there would be no net gain for the employees.
    Probably a wise attitude for living happily in 2014.

I get that how I feel about the wealthy (Not you H.C.--y'all've earned only 100 mil. in the last few years! ) is inconsistent. I don't mind much if company founders/owners strike it rich. I don't mind if individuals selling a talent and are paid by the books sold (Rowling) or the butts likely to be put in seats (Depp in Pirates), but a CEO to me seems like one of the team--a leader the other workers should rally behind. A Walt, an Iococca, a Vince Lombardi (once they realized his methods were paying off.) "You're not worth one 400th of what I'm worth" doesn't sound too inspiring.

• Minion

Oh my gosh! This is scary accurate. It also explains why there are some CMs who will circle Pumba for 10-15 minutes to find a spot rather than park in K-Lot, which I find a little ridiculous.

Not all shuttle experiences are bad. I did have a decent chat while sitting next to a cute CM who works at the Cozy Cone the other day. Too bad I forgot to catch her name, number, and relationship status. However, I'm not sure scouting for single ladies on the shuttle is the best idea.... It's still less awkward than flirting with those attractive Custodial CMs in the Subway line at the cafeteria, right?
    It's scary accurate because it's true. And what happens on the shuttle stays on the shuttle, brother.

But as disgusting, moldy, un-airconditioned, delayed and overloaded as the shuttles can be, it's important to realize that no one in TDA will ever care about it.

No TDA executive has ever parked in KCML, nor have they ever had to rely on the shuttles as part of the 30 to 40 minute unpaid process of getting from your parked car to actually clocking in at your work location. They simply don't care, and there is no incentive for them to ever care about us. And no hourly CM should have any expectation that the parking situation will ever improve.

The new CM parking lot at Harbor and Ball in the old RV park, whenever it opens, will only be a different version of the existing KCML experience. The shuttles may smell new for the first week or two, but 60 days later the whole system will be just as disgusting, just as greasy, just as broken down as the KCML shuttles are. And it will take just as long. And no one of any importance in TDA will ever experience it, nor will they ever care.

But don't forget to smile at Greeter, please.
    Last edited by Westsider; 07-31-2014 at 09:06 PM.

I had a laundry list of complaints when I worked at the Main Entrance, but since I transferred to DCA 3rd shift custodial most of them have vanished. I have:
    -No traffic on my way to and from work
    -Easy parking and empty shuttles
    -No angry guests
    -No entitled passholders
    -Cooler temperatures
    -A better management team
    -And more time to get to know my coworkers better.

The two big gripes are I have heavy work boot that are required and the waiting list for a locker is about a year long. Also even at night I can still be sweating like a pig in an oven.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12