View Poll Results: What's BAD about working at Disneyland?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • the lack of freedom to set my schedule

6 35.29%
  • the food provided for CMs

3 17.65%
  • the parking for CMs

8 47.06%
  • Having to take our uniforms home

2 11.76%
  • Awareness that my full-time American Salary is 1000x < the CEOs

3 17.65%
  • learning from an insider that the People mover track will NEVER be remned

0 0%
  • the new MagicBands 2.0 requirements such as having to hug a guest who demands one

0 0%
  • cleaning Disneyland's 200 kitty litter boxes with no meows of thaks

1 5.88%
  • the inability to correct terrible parents.

4 23.53%
  • guests who visit too often and have lost sight of what is good

4 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• former CM

Sad For CMs & former CMs ONLY, what's BAD about working at Disneyland?

What didn't or don't you like about working at the Disneyland Resort?

• Minion

Re: For CMs & former CMs ONLY, what's BAD about working at Disneyland?

Barely half of those options are legit, but I chose parking.

The parking situation for CM's has deteriorated to the point that in order to avoid the dreaded KCML and their smelly and degrading shuttles CM's willingly park in Pumbaa and walk over a mile each way to and from their work locations, dodging homeless guys and political protests en route.

I don't think anyone in any TDA power position knows how horrible parking is for most hourly CM's in the parks.

I've never understood why there is so much hate for KCML on this website.. I never found it that bad and I never heard any of my coworkers complain. What do you expect Disney to do? They gave CMs the closest parking lots and supplied air conditioned shuttles to the cast entrance at Harbor Pointe. I rarely waited more than five minutes for a shuttle and calling them "smelly and degrading" is a bit of an exaggeration.

• Former Churro Jockey

The pay and the parking. I don't care what my salary is in preportion to the CEO's, I just need more than $8/hr. The parking has gotten a little bit better since you can take your costumes home now, but it still is not acceptable to me to have to be to work 30 - 40 minutes early (unpaid) in order to be considered "on time."
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Barely half of those options are legit, but I chose parking.
    . . . .
    I'm glad if a "bad" option isn't chosen. What bad things did I fail to mention? I imagine some CMs don't enjoy working past 2am for special events.

Note, there is also a "what's GOOD" thread too.

Sorry I botched the question about the ratio of a full-time American CM's salary to the CEO's. I guess that's just one reason why he'd earn 1,000 times more than I would if I still worked there.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 07-31-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I'm glad the "What's GOOD about working at Disneyland?" has received more energy from CMs & former CMs.

Sorry I botched the question about the ratio of a full-time American CM's salary to the CEO's. I guess that's just one reason why he'd earn 1,000 times more than I would if I still worked there.
    I am just curious as to why people are concerned about the CEO pay at companies? It really makes no difference in the end to an employee, and well is Disney's pay really that low for unskilled, entry level work compared to other large companies? Doesn't seem to be to me.

If the CEO gave up his salary for 1 year and divided it equally between every employee at Disney (not just the parks, the entire company) it would not benefit the employees at all.

• Minion

I don't like it when guests lose their precious items and blame it on the CMs. Take responsibility for your stuff, folks!

• Minion

Former DTD (operating participant) here. What I hated was when people took out their frustrations on me. I get that you're hot and have had a long day and you're stressed or whatever, but most things are not the CM's fault, especially the front line CM. Sometimes guests forget that CMs are people too.

I voted for scheduling stupidity and parking but I'd also vote for bad pay if the question were worded better. The parking situation currently is even worse with the construction in K-Lot crowding more CMs into Pumba. Air conditioning only works on about half the K-Lot shuttles and water frequently leaks from the AC on at least one shuttle with "functional" AC.

Scheduling really is a pain in the butt if you have a family or want to take a vacation that lasts more than 3 days. They also do a poor job at accommodating parents with different childcare arrangements if you're in the bottom 75% in terms of seniority.

Another gripe is the lack of advancement for most CMs. Cars Land Attractions has CMs who are/were paralegals, military, Android programmers, stunt choreographers, graphic designers, sales managers, VFX artists/editors, and chemical engineers. Obviously some of us are retired/going to school but there's still so much wasted talent at Disney. The CM checking your seatbelts might have a resume that includes managing a team of at least 100 and balancing 6-7 figure operations budgets.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdycm View Post
    I voted for scheduling stupidity and parking but I'd also vote for bad pay if the question were worded better. The parking situation currently is even worse with the construction in K-Lot crowding more CMs into Pumba. Air conditioning only works on about half the K-Lot shuttles and water frequently leaks from the AC on at least one shuttle with "functional" AC.

Scheduling really is a pain in the butt if you have a family or want to take a vacation that lasts more than 3 days. They also do a poor job at accommodating parents with different childcare arrangements if you're in the bottom 75% in terms of seniority.

Another gripe is the lack of advancement for most CMs. Cars Land Attractions has CMs who are/were paralegals, military, Android programmers, stunt choreographers, graphic designers, sales managers, VFX artists/editors, and chemical engineers. Obviously some of us are retired/going to school but there's still so much wasted talent at Disney. The CM checking your seatbelts might have a resume that includes managing a team of at least 100 and balancing 6-7 figure operations budgets.
    Airlines are the same way, people would be surprised how many flight attendants and other service employees have some significant experience and education, some choose to stay in their positions, others just were not able to move up because of how the unions worked and other politics within the company, your flight attendant might have more formal education the your pilot does.

Sodexo. The food used to be reasonably priced and excellent. Now there are no options for a decent meal. The prices charged by Sodexo are very high, portions are very small, and the food quality is substandard at best.

Bring back the 'Wiser Miser' special!!!!!

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I don't like it when guests lose their precious items and blame it on the CMs. Take responsibility for your stuff, folks!
    Wow, is that a thing now? I don't think that ever once happened to me.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Airlines are the same way, people would be surprised how many flight attendants and other service employees have some significant experience and education, some choose to stay in their positions, others just were not able to move up because of how the unions worked and other politics within the company, your flight attendant might have more formal education the your pilot does.
    Sure. But for 98% of passengers the only important thing the flight attendant does is smile, give us the whole can of ginger ale, look reasonably attractive in the uniform, and smile again.

Dour, crabby, dumpy looking or deaf/mute flight attendants throwing peanuts at you sour the entire airline. Regardless of the Masters degree they got in '08.

Same with Disneyland ride operators. It's cool if the kid working Unload can program new apps for iPhones, or if the Grouper was an Army Sergeant in Iraq. But all a ride operator really needs to do 98% of the time is smile, give you row 1 when you ask for row 1, say "Happy Birthday!" 8,000 times per day with perky conviction, look reasonably attractive in the costume, and smile some more.

Dour, crabby, dumpy looking or deaf/mute ride operators barking at you to go to row 4 sour the entire theme park.

It's not rocket science. It's a theme park. But the Cast Member parking really, truly sucks.
    Last edited by Westsider; 07-30-2014 at 09:43 PM.

If they managed 100 people, and program computers, why work at Disneyland?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    If they managed 100 people, and program computers, why work at Disneyland?
    That's a question you aren't supposed to ask them, because there's really no good answer for it.

Much like you aren't supposed to ask your Flight Attendant why she never did anything with her Masters degree (or even her Bachelors degree). You are just supposed to politely nod knowingly that so many people in entry-level service positions have fancy degrees and previous leadership experience managing a hundred or more people on battlefields and at trendy computer companies.

You just nod politely, and then you hope that the Grouper with all that IT experience gives you row 1, and the Flight Attendant with the Masters degree lets you keep the whole can of ginger ale.

Did I mention how bad the CM parking sucks?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast