Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The big question! Are you a Waltoid or a Disnoid?

Waltoid- Not a breathment, but a person who is an ardent admirer of 'The Maestro', Walt Disney. You read about his life, you know his history, you're familiar with his business methods and way of thinking. You walk through the park and know the history and his direct involvement with it's development. When you do something you ask yourself, 'how would Walt have done this?'

Disnoid- A fan of The Walt Disney Company, supporting their amusement parks, seeing their films, buying their products and services and while loving the past, are more accepting of the current company, following their policies and procedures, and believing in 'the brand'.

Ah, there are variations in Disney fandom and while the differences may be slight, they exist nonetheless. You can also be a mix of both, commonly called a Disneyphile. Accepting of both old and new, but I find it more fun to split fans into two basic groups.

As for me, no question, I'm a Waltoid.
    My stacks of books written about Walt continue to grow, all well read and dog-eared. I dearly enjoy reading about his life and what events were those that helped to create the man behind the mouse. This fun obsession leads to learning about the men and women who Walt counted on to make his visions come to reality, Ub, Ollie, Ward, Marc, Milt, Betty, Mary, well, there are almost too many to list. Sure, I'm nostalgic, but that's OK. I'm alright with it.

What are you?

• Down Pluto!

Re: The big question! Are you a Waltoid or a Disnoid?

Waltoid.

Without him there would be no Disnoids.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Minion

You could probably put me in both but I'd say I'm much more of a Waltoid than a Disnoid.

• Disneyland History Lover

I'd say 70% Waltoid and 30% Disnoid.

• Minion

Waltoid

Waltoid all the way

So, in a either or situation, I am a Disnoid, but only to the degree of being only a Disneyland visitor with no interest in the other parks ( though the non us parks sure look great) I have a curio cabinet full of pre 70s animation, souvenirs with the word disneyland that are pre 80s, and any non fast food villain item. But I don't wear any disney clothing, am accepting of the way Disneyland is now and firmly believe, as a infrequent visitor , that Disneyland is the best vacation value available for family vacations.

But I do remember the morning after Walt's death. We were walking into a Rexal Drug Store to purchase my mom a waffle iron for christmas when my dad noticed the headline on the newspaper rack at the door. He was not a fan, but he always gave us opportunity to visit the park. Maybe he knew my desire about the park and thought I should know that Walt had died. But my only heart felt emotion about Walt Disney was that he was more important then lawerence Welk on Sunday nights. Every time Grandma visited, about every 18 months, we had to watch Welk instead of Walt. But I really don't care about his history.

I own shares of the company, and it has made me lots of money. I guess that makes me a Disnoid.

Walt was great and certainly there would be no company without him; however it was the executives and leaders that followed Walt that have built and sustained the company for decades since his death. Indeed without good corporate guidance and guys like Eisner the company would have been chopped up and sold in pieces during the 80s. It's through their aggressive growth strategies that Disney is now one of the strongest and biggest brands in the world.

• secure all cargo

Waltoid in my heart of hearts. The Disney of my childhood was that period after Walt but before Eisner when for better or worse they were trying hard to preserve Walt's legacy. In a lot of subconscious ways I think that informs who I am as a Disney fan today. I certainly appreciate all the positives the corporation since '84 has given us, too many to name honestly, but I do feel at times the company can be misguided. Like so many on these forums have correctly pointed out, you cannot really answer the question "what would Walt do", only Walt knows and he's dead. Yet much of what I see in today's Disney just inevitably get's seen through whatever Walt-filter I have established within me.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

I have to say I'm 20% Waltoid but 80% Disnoid. But like Sambo said "Without him,{Walt}, there would be no Disnoids."

Oh and great profile picture Princess Victoria!

Great idea David A!

~Frozenprincess

I'm definitely a Disnoid. I think I'm too young to be a Waltoid as I never got to personally experience much of the older Disney. That doesn't mean I don't know a lot about it, but I favor a lot of the newer because that's what I grew up with and love dearly.
    The music celebration puts some motion into my ocean!

• Heavy Breather

I'm a mixture of both, leaning more towards Waltoid.

Little from column A and a little from column B. I think there's a lot to love, post Walt about Disney as a whole and the parks, BUT, there's a special magic to the stuff he had a hand in. Walt's strength was being able to put together talent, and letting them shine. Not to knock today's Imagineers, but they have corporate breathing down theirs necks basically saying "Ok, Cars is popular. Make a land themed to that, w/ an E-ticket attraction" They knocked it out of the park w/ what they delivered, whereas Walt basically said "You know what'd be neat? An attraction about pirates. Here's money, go to town and make it happen." In today's Disneyland, Pirates or Haunted Mansion would never have happened, because the suits can't see the value in creating an expense attraction w/ no movie tie in. Those early Imagineers got to just do whatever they felt like, and pushed the boundaries of what a theme park can be. The funny thing is, that stuff is why Disneyland got so popular. Pirates is STILL one of the most popular attractions...... sadly suits went insane somehow and made a movie loosely based on a very popular attraction, the movie did great..... so now they need to make the attraction like the movie. Maybe one day we'll see a return of the classic style, but, who knows.
    "Have I gone mad?"
    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Without a doubt Waltoid. While there are a few exceptions, the products of the modern Disney corporation do not interest me.

Disnoid. While Walt was the innovator, the father of it all, and remains in his own way at the heart of the company, in the almost 50 years since he left so much has happened and grown that matches or even, rarely, surpasses his work. Even many of his successes were in bringing together the right people to create something more beautiful than anyone could alone. That was his art, organization. It wouldn't be fair to those artists who came before or those who are here now to devote myself only to Walt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast