Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: What Attractions Should Be Removed From Disneyland?

Main Street USA: This land should stay mostly as it is. However, the Soundsational parade needs to go. The floats are boring, the soundtrack is not pleasant to listen to, and it just feels tired. I would also be fine with a new castle, but only if it improves upon what's already there. Something similar to the Le Chateau de Belle au Bois Dormant in DLRP would be really nice.

Adventureland: Indiana Jones should stay as it is, as should the main show of the Tiki Room. However, I think that the preshow would be much cooler if the stationary figures of the Tiki gods were replaced with full-blown Audio-Animatronics. The Jungle Cruise scenery can stay as it is, but those animatronics need to be given more realistic movement. Tarzan's Treehouse should be removed. It doesn't have any appeal, and all of the space it occupies could be put to much better use. Aladdin's Oasis also has to go.

New Orleans Square: Take all of the PotC franchise stuff out and get rid of the new bride in the Haunted Mansion.

Critter Country: I think that Winnie the Pooh's space could be put to much better use. The storytelling in Winnie the Pooh (both American versions, and the Hong Kong version) have really cheap effects for the time they were made, and have clumsy storytelling overall. Reopen the Country Bear Jamboree with all three shows.

Frontierland: All of that space on Tom Sawyer Island could be put to much better use. Keep the space used for Fantasmic as is, and theme the rest of it to an old mining town, maybe with an attraction similar to Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland. Big Thunder Ranch is also useless, as is the Golden Horseshoe with no real quality show to make it worth the subpar food.

Fantasyland: Just update the dark rides like TDA did to Alice in Wonderland. Take the space where the old Skyway building is and put an attraction or restaurant there.

Toontown: Update Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin like how Alice in Wonderland was. Get rid of Donald's Boat, Chip and Dale's Treehouse, and Goofy's Playhouse. They take up so much space that could be put to much better use. Replace them with a more family-friendly version of the Toon bar in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Tomorrowland: Get rid of all of the remaining structures of former attractions (Skyway building, Peoplemover track, etc.). They have no purpose and take up so much space. Gut Autopia and Innoventions. Those two attractions are just giant wastes of space. Take out Captain EO as well.
    Don't let nostalgia cloud your judgement.

Next trip: Disneyland Resort November 16th-21st, 2015
    Last trip:
    Disneyland Resort November 17th-22nd, 2014

#Yzma'sLairCoaster2k15

Autopia should stay for the single fact that it's the only remaining Tomorrowland attraction from the start of the park. I could complain about the cars, but the Mark 7 cars were on the track for thirty years, so, what do I know?

Innoventions needs some help. The meet and greets upstairs are fine, for now, but if Marvel gets some space by Tower of Terror for those meet and greets, then what else is going to be put up there to bring guests into the place? The free Xbox game plays are useless up there when you've got the Starcade close by trying to actually make money, despite some free Fix it Felix games being in there.

The Dream Home downstairs in Innoventions has some actual interesting things, but without a means to order them right there while you're looking at them, since this stuff is all or mostly on the market, and has been so for long enough that now some of the exhibits downstairs are outdated, the place is largely useless. People don't go to a theme park with the direct goal of updating their home, in other words. However, if they stuck some stations in there for people to order these things for their own home at the point that they actually see it in action, Disney might make some money off the place, as well as please the sponsors inside.

I'd hate to see the People Mover track removed, unless Disney built another track off property in segments, and then were able to quickly swap the segments out in a very short time period. The tracks provide shade, after all, and even with nothing moving on them, they still help the land look futuristic to me, because I can remember a time when things DID move on top of them. For younger guests, I could see that this would not hold true, though, since there would be no memory of a world on the move.

I'd be game for them removing Pixie Hollow. The place is nice looking, but Disney kind of shot themselves in the foot when they introduced the concept behind Pixie Hollow for the Tinkerbelle series of films, and Pixie Hollow does nothing but prolong this.

Allow me to explain this point: eventually in the Tinkerbelle series, there is going to have to be a time where she leaves all of her friends, everything she's known before, in order to hang out with Peter Pan. In the Pirate Fairy movie, we finally got to meet a young Captain Hook, and the crocodile who was WAY too small to have been able to ingest a clock that size. This was great! But, now that Tinkerbelle has all of these popular friends, how does Disney plan on progressing the story towards the film Peter Pan, where no mention or hint of them is displayed, at all? Over the years, I have felt that at some point in the narrative, Captain Hook is going to have to find Pixie Hollow, and unfortunately, defeat every fairy there, leaving only Tinkerbelle around, allowing her to leave the place and all of her friends to travel the land with Peter. The Pirate Fairy movie only strengthened this idea, since the Pirates know of the fairies, and by the end, Hook has a reason to not want them around. Of course, Disney would never do something this violent in a modern cartoon series that is wildly popular with kids, right? Maybe they would have before, but not now.

In short, the removal of Pixie Hollow is going to have to happen in order for the storyline to progress, I believe. Removing it now may be premature, but there would be no room for it if the story ever does progress to where she meets up, and stays with Peter.

I would remove Small World. It may be a classic from the World's Fair, but they had no problem dispensing with the Carousel of Progress, which wasn't half as annoying, so there's really no excuse to keep Small World.

Before the planned updates to Fantasyland, I was very interested in Disney removing most of the Dark Rides, simply because the length of time one has to wait to get on them rarely figures to equal amounts of enjoyment for rides that last a minute or slightly longer. The refurbishment of Alice in Wonderland changed my mind on that, though, except for the outside vine portion which has lost all sense of thrill, and is now simply confusing. As in, why would they spit you outside just to bring you right back in?

They really ought to do something with Tom Sawyer's Island to make it worth visiting again. There are some neat things there, but shutting down the entire fort makes me feel like Disney just doesn't want to pay an adequate amount of cast members to monitor the kids inside.

The petting zoo in Frontierland is a prime target, since you can find those anywhere.

The Winnie the Pooh ride doesn't always have a short line. I know I was there once or twice when the line was over an hour long, and I refused to stand in it no matter how much my son wanted to ride it. We'd seen it before many times, so it held nothing new, and we both knew it wasn't the greatest. As somebody else here mentioned, some of the characters are static. Some are more static than others, of course, but even with those that aren't, like Owl, you find him doing the same thing every time he appears. I believe it's only twice. But, even if it's three times, it manages to catch my attention and makes my mind run to the word "cheap" whenever I see the character, because again, he's doing the same movements each time.

Pooh makes Disney money, unfortunately, so there is no going back to an actual Critter Country, over what we have now, which is stuffed animal land with one mountain that isn't based on stuffed animals. Everything else in Critter Country is, from the store, to the Pooh ride, to the Pooh meet and greets.

I'm slightly surprised Disney didn't refurbish Splash Mountain to a Pooh theme, where at the point of the fall, you are actually headed towards Eeyore's bramble house in search of his missing tail, or something. Although, it wouldn't surprise me if this has been discussed at some point, but they decided Stuffed Animal Land wouldn't fit on the sign as well as Critter Country.

Also, and I know I'll probably catch some hate for this, they should write a new storyline for Fantasmic!. The show is ok, to me. It's always only been ok, to me, personally. The Dragon adds something that was gravely missing before, but when it doesn't show up, or shows up and only poofs out a cloud of smoke instead of a stream of flame, it diminishes the show to varying levels of, I can't believe I either waited for this, or paid for the reserved seating for this, to that dragond doesn't seem too scary. It just sneezed out some smoke, is all. There are enough things installed to make a brand new show at this location that can blow people away. I can't be the only one thinking that, either. We're just a few years into World of Color, and I've read people here and on other forums demanding a new show there for almost as long as it's been around.

For California Adventure, I would leave Bugs Land alone, because kids and strollers need a place to hang out that isn't right in front of me. Plus, the Princess Dot Puddle Park is nice on a hot day, and doesn't make me stand in line for X amount of time like Grizzly River Run does. That being said, there are a few kids rides elsewhere in the park that could go.

The Golden Zephyr can go. I know it's been there forever, but it looks like a placeholder attraction, to me, and always has. There's rarely a line, which is a plus, but the ride is only about a minute long, so... well, I guess that makes this particular attraction more attractive than many of the dark rides in Fantasyland, right (Why am I waiting an hour for Peter pan, again?)?

Jumping Jellyfish makes me sad. I know kids need rides. This is obviously a ride for kids while their parents are off riding California Screamin'. I just can't believe they got rid of the Maliboomer, which I was crazy about, turned that space into... nothing, and kept THIS.

Disney needs to do something with the queue for Toy Story Midway Mania. The line is almost always forty-plus minutes long, and those ceiling fans inside don't seem to be doing anything to keep me cool in that stuffy place.

I would love for them to either reinstall, or simply turn back on, the wave machine in Paradise Bay. The water around the Pacific Wharf is very dirty, particularly in spots where it thins out due to evaporation. Turning the wave machine back on would mix up the water, so that at least the dinginess could spread. It also makes those nice waves up against the launching platform for California Screamin', which was very nice right at the beginning of a nice thrilling ride. I suppose that doesn't count as a removal, though.

I could probably go on and on all day about things I'd like removed and reinstated, but there is no reason to, since I'm not in a position to make any changes to the resort.
    Last edited by The Real McDuck; 08-03-2014 at 10:42 AM.

In Disneyland I'd replace Aladdins oasis with a something more fun and tropical ideally with a 30s vibe to tie into Indy and build some more cohesion in the land. Innoventions, Autopia and the subs would go to make way for some new rides - the 20k from Tokyo and some new original rides. I'd also replace the peoplemover with a similar ride but I'm guessing it might need new tracks. In Frontier land I'd bring the country bears back by building them a new home where fort wilderness is on Tom Sawyer island but I'd have a 'random' show with several numbers so you never know how the concert will go.

Across the the esplanade I'd rip out Paradise Pier - I've said it before but a fun fair is a lazy theme for a Disney park. I'd replace with a gold rush area Barbary Coast land and an area celebrating Silicon Valley and high tec. I'd add a version of aquatopia to the lagoon and new version of house of the future.

In the wider resort I'd tear down the paradise pier hotel and build something themed to the new Barbary Coast land and I'd replace the trams with a peoplemover to make getting to & from the car parks part of the fun

• Pan's Left-Hand Man

The ideas some people come up with...
    "On these magic shores children at play are for ever beaching their coracles..."
    J.M. Barrie

• Minion

I like a lot of the ideas some people are coming up with!

Autopia and Innoventions. Lot of land there for big new ride actually theme to Tomorrowland. Give northern part of Autopia for a big Fantasyland expansion.
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Slightly View Post
    The ideas some people come up with...
    We all have our opinions - and they can be very varied.

Quote Originally Posted by The Real McDuck View Post
    Autopia should stay for the single fact that it's the only remaining Tomorrowland attraction from the start of the park. I could complain about the cars, but the Mark 7 cars were on the track for thirty years, so, what do I know?
    I am 50/50 about autopia, I think it should go unless they change it. Cars aren't futuristic any more! If they had some kind of hover car, or i've heard people mention a starwars themed speeder ride (which i'm sure most people are against) it would keep the originality of autopia but keep it futuristic as well.

"Why do we have to grow up? I know more adults who have the children's approach to life. They're people who don't give a hang what the Joneses do. You see them at Disneyland every time you go there. They are not afraid to be delighted with simple pleasures, and they have a degree of contentment with what life has brought - sometimes it isn't much, either." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

autopia takes up so much space it needs to go. enough cars rides now, imo. take innoventions and that backstage area and you have huge expansion potential.

Tomorrowland: Take a chainsaw to Autopia, Nemo and Innoventions. They don’t fit thematically and that area has to be 20% of the entirety of Disneyland. Share out the reclaimed land between Fantasyland and whatever Disney decides to turn Tomorrowland into.

[/QUOTE]

a chain saw sounds so violent... dismantle and use the parts ;-)

there must be something more interesting that could be in that space
    though i suppose the autopia could be more interesting with a little more hardscape and landscape
    and the cars could be a LOT more comfortable.
    or a lot less painful which ever comes first

Quote Originally Posted by EvanWright View Post
    I am 50/50 about autopia, I think it should go unless they change it. Cars aren't futuristic any more! If they had some kind of hover car, or i've heard people mention a starwars themed speeder ride (which i'm sure most people are against) it would keep the originality of autopia but keep it futuristic as well.
    One of the best suggestions here is for google to sponsor autopia and use it to socialize their self driving cars (and work out any bugs).

Self driving cars without a track would be awesome. have the cars do lane changes, shift positions, exit stop and then get on and merge etc.

Innoventions is really the only "attraction" I'd axe. If you want to throw in areas of the park, get rid of Big Thunder Ranch and develop it...which will likely happen at some point anyways. I'd also move the rockets back where they below. As for the PM track, either put something on it or get rid of it. It's an eyesore and reminder of what once was.

Autopia, Innoventions, Pizza Port, and Captain Eo ( even though I loved it as a kid and still appreciate it for nostalgic reasons) can all GO and create a lot of space for some amazing new attractions. I say re theme the subs to something just to keep the lagoon around but I wouldn't be too upset if it had to go in conjunction with autopia to create an E ticket there. Fantasy Land theatre and Big Thunder Ranch can go too. If Toontown can't be restored properly then I wouldn't oppose it going down with the Fanstasy Land Theatre for a big Fantasy land expansion (keeping Roger Rabbits cartoon spin if possible).
    Last edited by mickEblu; 08-04-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickEblu View Post
    Autopia, Innoventions, Pizza Port, and Captain Eo ( even though I loved it as a kid and still appreciate it for nostalgic reasons) can all GO and create a lot of space for some amazing new attractions. I say re theme the subs to something just to keep the lagoon around but I wouldn't be too upset if it had to go in conjunction with autopia to create an E ticket there. Fantasy Land theatre and Big Thunder Ranch can go too. If Toontown can't be restored properly then I wouldn't oppose it going down with the Fanstasy Land Theatre for a big Fantasy land expansion (keeping Roger Rabbits cartoon spin if possible).
    Agree with Captain EO though my assumption is that it's either dead or on it's last leg anyways. It should never have come back IMO.

• PeopleMover Advocate

To everyone saying Autopia should go, forget it. It's still very popular, and it's one of the park's signature attractions. Not many other parks have it (Gilroy Gardens' is on a bus bar like Midget Autopia, and Great America's is slow and unscenic; the only scenic highlights are the Grizzly and the old railroad roadbed).
    Disney visits over the years:

• Disneyland, December 2000 (plus Legoland)
    • Disneyland, Summer 2003 (plus Legoland, SeaWorld, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Model Railroad Museum, and Knott's Berry Farm)
    • Disneyland, December 26, 2004-January 2, 2005 (mom's 40th birthday at Plaza Inn; New Year's at Disneyland)
    • Disneyland, July 2005 (Pre-Disney Cruise visit)
    • Walt Disney World, December 15-25, 2006 (plus Kennedy Space Center)
    • Disneyland, August 2007
    • Disneyland, July 1-4, 2009
    • Disneyland, July 2011 (plus Universal Studios)
    • Disneyland, November 2011 (dad's 50th birthday)
    • Disneyland, June 2013
    • Walt Disney World, July-August 2013 (plus Universal CityWalk)
    • Disneyland, June 7-8 2014
    • Disneyland, December 27-31 2014 (mom's 50th birthday; my tenth visit)
    • Disneyland, Summer 2015 (plus Universal Studios)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast