Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tower of Terror Enhancement?

As much as we all love TOT, experiencing the exact same drop sequence over and over again can become quite boring after a while. Now, is it possible that TDA could arrange for TOT to undergo a major refurb in which the ride would have different drop sequences? Im not to familiar with the technical specifics on this but would it require major construction to accomplish this or could TDA just add a computer chip which will allow the elevator to drop at different floors?

• #bringevilback

Re: Tower of Terror Enhancement?

WDW has a several drop sequences but there's is a different ride system completely (show elevator up, track across to drop shaft) but I would think it could be done for DLR, I just have no idea what it would take. It would be really awesome though!!!
    Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse

TOT at DCA is capable of a random drop sequence, all it would take is reprogramming the computers. It could literally be done over night.

• MaliBOOMer

The problem with random drop sequence like what you get at WDW is you can come up with some rides being worse than others. While at DCA the ride is guaranteed to be really good.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

I wouldnt want the random sequences WDW has, but I wouldnt mind if each shaft had 3 or 4 different profiles. Each preprogramed drop profile being as good as the current one. That would give some variety as well as making sure you dont have any weak rides

• Certified DL Addict

I have some rides on ToT at WDW that weren't stellar... bunch of short little lame drops instead of full shaft drops.

I really like the sequence that the DL tower has... I've rode it about 15 times this year and I haven't memorized the sequence, it's still surprising to me each time.

I've always been surprised they haven't added it to DL's ride. I wonder if there's some weird OSHA or California ride liability law that requires the ride not to change. It'd be interesting to know why they made the decision to keep DL's as the same sequences.
    2014 Gumball Rally Team- Skyway Sweethearts
    *~Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder~*

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by the702senior09 View Post
    I've always been surprised they haven't added it to DL's ride. I wonder if there's some weird OSHA or California ride liability law that requires the ride not to change. It'd be interesting to know why they made the decision to keep DL's as the same sequences.
    The "drop sequence randomizer" rumor was a pretty solid presence for years. Pretty much since it was possible to HAVE the rumor for the CA parks.

I've seen a number of justifications for why they haven't done it, but for my money the number one reason is Carsland - ToT still draws well, the rest of the park's drawing decently now, Carsland was the keystone for that round of building. Why plus up ToT right now when you can wait a bit and re-launch a "new" version for whatever anniversary or other reason you need? ToT has a fairly large fanbase, you could pin an entire merch cycle around a refit like this.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    The problem with random drop sequence like what you get at WDW is you can come up with some rides being worse than others. While at DCA the ride is guaranteed to be really good.
    I rode the DHS version and the sequence I got sucked never dropped more than a few floors
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

I personally feel like the suspense of not knowing what is going to happen on the DHS version improves the ride. Even if it's not a 'good' sequence with a lot of big drops, half the fun of the ride (for me) is it's unpredictability. Not saying I don't enjoy the DCA version, but I think randomized drop sequences would improve it. Do I think they'll do it? Not in the new future, but maybe when they refurbish all of that area of DCA.

I am doubting a bit about it now, but I was in DLRP over these past holidays and I am about 75% sure their drops are randomized. Given they're carbon copies (and with the exact same system as TDS as well), could totally be done overnight.

• #bringevilback

At WDW two of my 4 rides started with an up first instead of a drop...majorly anticlimactic! If they used 4-6 GOOD sequences, you wouldn't know which it was so you'd still have the anticipation without the mediocre rides mixed in. It works for Star Tours....
    Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse

I'm probably wrong, but I thought there were 2-3 different sequences in DCA. Not entirely random, just 2-3 set sequences and you might get any of them.

• How Peculiar

Quote Originally Posted by theatremouse View Post
    I'm probably wrong, but I thought there were 2-3 different sequences in DCA. Not entirely random, just 2-3 set sequences and you might get any of them.
    I believe so, however there's not a major difference between the two, and it happens during the show sequence of the ride. I don't remember which shaft is different from the other two, but I know that after the mirror effect, two of the shafts have the elevator drop down a floor to show the hallway scene while one of the shafts go up a level instead. That's all.

I guess that adds to the first drop of the ride, but not much.

I do wish California Adventure's Tower of Terror received random drop profiles, just as long as each guaranteed a good ride however. Even if they added just one new drop profile, I'd be happy.
    Fighting just to survive but you taught me I can.

I've never been in a situation where a drop of several stories is "boring". I mean, Splash Mountain has the same drop sequence every time, and it's still exciting for me.
    "Have I gone mad?"
    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

I've been on the WDW one with the random drop sequences many times, and it never made a difference for me. I can never tell the differences between the drop sequences. The only thing I have ever been able to tell is when we're all the way at the top of the shaft (when you can see the hotel lettering). It doesn't make a difference to me, and I honestly think that just having one drop (like the WDW version originally had) suits the ride's narrative a lot better. If you were in an elevator and it started to crash, it would just crash once, not seven times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast