Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Another turkey leg please

Blue Bayou - finally tried it, really liked it

After all these years of fondly staring at it from Pirates, I finally decided to treat the lady friend to a nice dinner at the Blue Bayou. Being a relatively new AP holder, I thought it would be fun to go on a weeknight after work. I called earlier that afternoon and scored a 9:00 PM reservation. Sweet!

We could have waited an extra 30 minutes for a waterside table, but were so hungry we just took the first available. No worries; we got a nice table in the next row. The view was still great and we had those beautiful lanterns above us. The sounds, darkness, theming and ambiance make it such a cool experience.

We had the Jambalaya and the salmon, each costing around $33. At least it includes a salad and basket of tasty bread. Was it worth that much? On their own no, but you're really paying for the experience here, and we both thought the food was pretty good. The jambalaya has big chunks o' sausage, shrimp, chicken and fish, and it's got that nice spicy kick like it should (I like spicy food). I noticed that the filet is about the same price as it would at a steak house ($40), so I didn't feel too bad about the prices. I was also stoked to get a Disney-style mint julep, which I like a lot even if it is missing the bourbon.

As we were sitting back and enjoying the night, I pondered just how famous this restaurant must be. World famous, I concluded, if not one of the most famous restaurants in all the world. Think of all the people from countries all over the world who have ridden Pirates throughout the decades and thought, "That is a really cool restaurant!" And when they go home and talk about it with others who have been there, they probably say, "Have you eaten at that really cool restaurant inside the ride?" It's things like this that make me thankful for the experience (and my ability to pay for it hahaha). Granted it's not famous for the quality of the food, which to be fair isn't bad, but rather for its location and incredible setting.

I suppose the real quality of the experience for me is determined by whether or not I would return, and the answer is a definite "yes." We'll be sure to go back again, perhaps another time when we're not too hungry to wait for a waterside table, and try some different dishes. For anyone considering going, I would definitely recommend it for the experience if it's within your budget. I'm so glad we finally gave it a try.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Re: Blue Bayou - finally tried it, really liked it

I LOVED my BB experience... it blew my Carthay Circle Experience away by far on my 2013 trip. The food was tastier, cooked MUCH better, and the service was black and white better.

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    I LOVED my BB experience... it blew my Carthay Circle Experience away by far on my 2013 trip. The food was tastier, cooked MUCH better, and the service was black and white better.
    Wow, that sucks; Carthay Circle looks so cool. Any chance you think it was just an off day for the restaurant? It's on my list to try one of these days. By the way, I agree the service at BB is really good.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by rwalterk View Post
    Wow, that sucks; Carthay Circle looks so cool. Any chance you think it was just an off day for the restaurant? It's on my list to try one of these days. By the way, I agree the service at BB is really good.
    The service at CC is notoriously awful. I'm a foodie, and the food was bland, and under seasoned. If a restaurant can't cook a steak to order as well, they don't deserve to be in business. I ordered my ribeye med rare as ALL steak should be served, and got on the north side of medium instead. I would have sent it back were that I had the time.

BB shares a kitchen (and thusly chefs) with C33, so they know how to properly cook a meal. CC... not so much.

• Greetings, Program!

After all these years of fondly staring at it from Pirates, I finally decided to treat the lady friend to a nice dinner at the Blue Bayou. Being a relatively new AP holder, I thought it would be fun to go on a weeknight after work. I called earlier that afternoon and scored a 9:00 PM reservation. Sweet!
    Glad you finally decided to stop in. Great place, ain't it? One of my favorite places in all the DLR. Have yet to have a bad visit there.

The Monte Cristo just....makes the world a better place.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

I ordered my ribeye med rare as ALL steak should be served
    We just became best friends hahaha

• Disneyland Dreamer

We just became best friends hahaha
    My kids and wife have been conditioned to perfection... the MIL on the other hand... she'll make charcoal out of the finest cut of beef...

I, too had my first experience there recently. It had always been an after thought and never on the priority list each time I would go to Disneyland. Once I realized there is a restaurant inside the POTC ride opening scene, I would longingly watch the people eating there and would think how amazingly cool it would be to be them. Finally this January I was able to experience it with my boyfriend. We scored a waterside table in front of the old man in the rocking chair. That salad and bread basket was delicious! We tried the Monte Cristo and couldn't finish it (even for us fatty food lovers, we didn't enjoy it the way we thought we would). I would try something else on my next visit, maybe the salmon or chicken dish. Everything else was a great experience and I can't wait to return.

Glad you had a great time!

• formerly very helpful

For what it's worth, I had an excellent meal at Carthay Circle, and thoroughly enjoyed my medium-rare steak. Had no problem with the service, either. Since I don't eat there very often, I suppose it could have been a rare "on" night, but take it for what it's worth.

Glad you had a good inaugural dining experience at Blue Bayou.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

I think where you get seated has a lot to do with the ambience and therefore overall experience. I've had great experiences eating waterside or 2nd row near the middle. I've also had mediocre/disappointing experiences being seated near the bathroom, kitchen, or the entrance during the afternoon when daylight streams in in that area. I've decided that any future visits are worth the wait for a good table spot.
    I agree that the Carthay is not very impressive. What I enjoyed most about eating there were the cheese filled biscuits, the pictures on the walls, and our special show pass for World of Color. Otherwise the service was slow, and the portions were small, expensive, and nothing to brag about.

• Minion

BB shares a kitchen (and thusly chefs) with C33, so they know how to properly cook a meal. CC... not so much.
    Actually, they don't. It has always been 2 separate kitchens.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Actually, they don't. It has always been 2 separate kitchens.
    Really? I had always heard they shared. Interesting to know.

Both the Cafe Orleans and Blue Bayou serve the Monte Cristo. Do they share staff? Are the sandwiches different or the same at these locations?

• world class bilge rat

I gave it a shot a few years ago; it was worth it!

The Monte Cristo is very good, the service is great and the atmosphere can't be beat.

No longer true. The Trophy Room of Club 33 has been converted into the new kitchen for Le Grand Salon exclusively for Club 33 diners. It is located immediately behind the wall you see on the balcony of the antebellum house balcony at BB.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast