Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Club 33 - Would you eat there more often is they served food similar to Ruth's Ch

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    If the fare is not to your liking while dinning there under the new menu, call out the Chef and let him know. Nothings going to change if people keep to themselves about it.
    Amen to that!

We were told no special requests due to the grand reopening.

Hopefully as they adjust to the kitchen and learn the members, they'll slowly change and offer a bit more personalized service as Marcel did.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Re: Club 33 - Would you eat there more often is they served food similar to Ruth's Ch

Maybe somebody should write Nancy Johnson over at the DisUnplugged and let her know since she and Sutton are acquaintances.

• Minion

Its just fine-dinning.

My wife had crab-stuffed Lobster, for example.
    I loved the crab stuffed lobster... SOOOOO good!!
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Minion

If the fare is not to your liking while dinning there under the new menu, call out the Chef and let him know. Nothings going to change if people keep to themselves about it.
    Friends were told Sutton has said numerous times he wants people to eat his food as he creates it. And as an example, I did the chef's table in Napa Rose. Sutton came over to ask what we would like. I agreed to allow him create my dinner. I explained my likes and dislikes. So, here came my salad, and one item I specifically said I didn't like, there it was, with his comment to me "I thought you might want to try it the way I prepare it." No, I didn't. I skipped over it.

Another friend was eating at the counter in the winter and he came over to talk to her. They are friends. She explained that members were concerned about the upcoming menu. He rolled his eyes at her and said he creates a great menu and the members will like it. When she told me this, combined with what I previously knew, I don't hold out much hope for getting much in the way of special orders or changes (other than the regular seasonal changes.)
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    I loved the crab stuffed lobster... SOOOOO good!!
    She said it was amazing. I don't think I even got to try a bite..

The Scallop was the best I've ever had as well... only one, but I could have eaten a mountain of them... so flavorful...

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Friends were told Sutton has said numerous times he wants people to eat his food as he creates it. And as an example, I did the chef's table in Napa Rose. Sutton came over to ask what we would like. I agreed to allow him create my dinner. I explained my likes and dislikes. So, here came my salad, and one item I specifically said I didn't like, there it was, with his comment to me "I thought you might want to try it the way I prepare it." No, I didn't. I skipped over it.

Another friend was eating at the counter in the winter and he came over to talk to her. They are friends. She explained that members were concerned about the upcoming menu. He rolled his eyes at her and said he creates a great menu and the members will like it. When she told me this, combined with what I previously knew, I don't hold out much hope for getting much in the way of special orders or changes (other than the regular seasonal changes.)
    That is the exact opposite of customer service. Its like he thinks he knows better than you how food should taste whether you like it or not.

• I'm really at the Met.

A cast member who shall remain nameless has also revealed that he is extremely difficult to approach if you are one of his "underlings." He's an artist, but one who can stand with a lesson in humility.

I've only met him once at a private dinner at Napa Rose when he came in to ask how everyone was enjoying their dinner. I understand he was a busy a man but he did strike me as a bit phony, and would engage those who praised his dishes by asking specific questions about what they liked in particular, but would brush past those who said they disliked one (his saffron risotto with a tomato reduction that night was a semi-failure for those of us who had it). He doesn't seem to want to accept criticism - if one doesn't like his dish, their opinion isn't good enough for his hearing.

For a man whose culinary accolades include maintaining an Ivy Award for Auberge de Soleil (his predecessor earned it) and was not able to earn a Relais and Chateau Grand Chef designation himself he has quite the ego.

In all honesty the only chef in Southern California who earns the right to have that kind of attitude is William Bradley. And yet for all his expertise he still manages to accept criticism with grace.
    Last edited by Circlevision91; 08-03-2014 at 02:45 PM.

I may be the only person on the planet who didn't like Napa Rose, but having said that, my lunch at the renovated Club 33 a week ago was very good. The menu at the Salon Nouveau is also very good, but I dearly miss Chef Marcel, the truffled mac 'n cheese, the chateaubriand and the lunch buffet, since lunch is our favorite meal at the Club.
    Disneyland AP & go as often as I can! DL Paris 2002 WDW 2007 & 2013 Tokyo DL & Sea 2009 DCL 2014
    To Do: Hong Kong DL & Shanghai Disney: see you in 2016!
    GROUNDHOG DAY: WDW and DLR in the same day: 2/2/13
    My Stay in the Disneyland Dream Suite

His first words at the first Club 33 meeting in Studio 17 in DCA were something similar to
    "I'm Andrew Sutton, your new executive chef at Club 33. And don't worry, there won't be any gumbo, you can get that downstairs!"
    I knew things were going to get rough the moment he said that. We were truly looking forward to our own special Club 33 gumbo, something wonderful and warm, full of flavor and NOLA charm, but no way, he wouldn't hear about it.
    He was approached by several members at the beginning of the next Club 33 meeting in Studio 17 regarding gumbo and the first words he spoke on stage were "Hello, I'm Andrew Sutton, your new executive chef and I make a terrific gumbo." End of story. He never mentioned it again, but instead, trailed off saying something about "If you know me, you'll know that I'm all about flavor."

How truly difficult is it to listen to the members and try to cater to them. Seems simple to me, but hey, I'm just a second class citizen gold member. A poor elderly guy who's not good enough to be allowed into the lounge. Good Lord! I miss my old club!

Quote Originally Posted by The Real McDuck View Post
    After looking at the current menu options, I don't know if I'd eat there at all. I'm not big into fish, and every course seems to consist of fish, or shellfish, or crustacean, or flat out arachnid (Ok, an arthropod) on a plate, which I'm not interested in.

If it were more like a steak house, it would fit my palate a whole lot more.
    That is my issue with the menu. I am sure the food is prepared well and decent, but if there is nothing on the menu worth eating because of tastes, no reason to go.

I'd be interested in going to the club if there was something on the menu to my liking, but there is not based on the new menu I have seen posted and I would never go somewhere to just say I went there.

• I'm really at the Met.

Quote Originally Posted by David A View Post
    How truly difficult is it to listen to the members and try to cater to them. Seems simple to me, but hey, I'm just a second class citizen gold member. A poor elderly guy who's not good enough to be allowed into the lounge. Good Lord! I miss my old club!
    Don't feel too bad. He was unwilling to listen to Executive Platinum members who paid the $5k food and beverage minimum for a party of 30 people in his private dining room either. When making the prix-fix menu we personally spoke to him and requested he customize it to include as "few fish courses as possible" on account of having a bunch of people in the group who don't eat it. Three courses contained fish, and two of the three choices on the only course that allowed choices had fish too.

ADDENDUM: In his capacity as chef, his work isn't bad at all. He does great work. The issue I have with him is his inability to create a menu tailored to the guest's preferences and his inability to listen. We weren't requesting he serve mexican food in his nouveau-Californian dining room... we simply requested accommodations akin to a food allergy accommodation. His first Club 33 menu, in my mind, was quite good - I ate every speck and liked it. Some courses I downright loved. But it wasn't the best meal I've had in Club 33. And certainly not the best I've ever had period.
    Last edited by Circlevision91; 08-03-2014 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David A View Post
    His first words at the first Club 33 meeting in Studio 17 in DCA were something similar to
    "I'm Andrew Sutton, your new executive chef at Club 33. And don't worry, there won't be any gumbo, you can get that downstairs!"
    I knew things were going to get rough the moment he said that. We were truly looking forward to our own special Club 33 gumbo, something wonderful and warm, full of flavor and NOLA charm, but no way, he wouldn't hear about it.
    He was approached by several members at the beginning of the next Club 33 meeting in Studio 17 regarding gumbo and the first words he spoke on stage were "Hello, I'm Andrew Sutton, your new executive chef and I make a terrific gumbo." End of story. He never mentioned it again, but instead, trailed off saying something about "If you know me, you'll know that I'm all about flavor."

Not gonna lie, that line just made me cringe reading it. I'm not gonna be all "EAT THE RICH!" on folks, and good one people that are members, but "You can get that downstairs" almost comes off as the rest of us (and I know you're just quoting the chef) are 2nd class peons or something.
    "Have I gone mad?"
    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySpaceAce View Post
    Not gonna lie, that line just made me cringe reading it. I'm not gonna be all "EAT THE RICH!" on folks, and good one people that are members, but "You can get that downstairs" almost comes off as the rest of us (and I know you're just quoting the chef) are 2nd class peons or something.
    Oh gosh, I understand 100% what you're saying.
    That statement really upset a number of members and you know, I really enjoy the gumbo in the bread bowls not to mention the Parmesan fries at Cafe Orleans. Before the club was annihilated and we were lowered to that which Pluto leaves upon Mickey's fresh cut grass, the waiters used to ask the cooks to make those fries for us and we were pretty happy campers.
    One of my good friends who had been a member of Club 33 for 29 years (he quit the club by the way), would always order a Chateau sandwich with fries, which was terrific! It was very much like the incredible 'Marcel Burger', never on the menu but they would gladly make it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Circlevision91 View Post
    Don't feel too bad. He was unwilling to listen to Executive Platinum members who paid the $5k food and beverage minimum for a party of 30 people in his private dining room either. When making the prix-fix menu we personally spoke to him and requested he customize it to include as "few fish courses as possible" on account of having a bunch of people in the group who don't eat it. Three courses contained fish, and two of the three choices on the only course that allowed choices had fish too.

ADDENDUM: In his capacity as chef, his work isn't bad at all. He does great work. The issue I have with him is his inability to create a menu tailored to the guest's preferences and his inability to listen. We weren't requesting he serve mexican food in his nouveau-Californian dining room... we simply requested accommodations akin to a food allergy accommodation. His first Club 33 menu, in my mind, was quite good - I ate every speck and liked it. Some courses I downright loved. But it wasn't the best meal I've had in Club 33. And certainly not the best I've ever had period.
    You're right and I concur wholeheartedly.
    Andrew has great potential, but he really needs to listen to the members. He's truly become Disneyland's celebrity, market the heck out of him, top gun chef. We ate at Carthay at honestly found it somewhat repulsive. The meatballs in my wife's dish were hard as rocks and the large fettuccine were stiff and under cooked. We never went back.
    Last edited by David A; 08-03-2014 at 05:01 PM.

• Tom Bricker

I think any chef of Sutton's caliber is going to be the same way. They view their food as art...and is there really anything wrong with that? Go to virtually any Michelin star restaurant and you will receive the same treatment with regard to special requests. It's not a matter of poor customer service, it's a matter of custom and proper form.

In general, I'm surprised Sutton's style has 'worked' at Disneyland, a place that prides itself in accommodating every request, for so long. This is not to say that Sutton is right and Disneyland is wrong or vice-a-versa, just that the two sides seem fundamentally incompatible with one another. If Sutton's style were to work anywhere at Disneyland Resort, I would have thought it would be Club 33. Actually, I still think that, I just think it will take some getting used to for some members.

Personally, I'd rather have something akin to actually fine dining than chain food (albeit good chain food) from a place like Ruth's Chris or Morton's.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast