Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Which extinct attraction do you feel had "untouchable status"? (Be realistic)

None. There hasn't been an attraction I thought couldn't have a worthy replacement. If we're going to get irrational though, the child inside me finds it blasphemous that the mark Vs got replaced
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Minion

Re: Which extinct attraction do you feel had "untouchable status"? (Be realistic)

Ah, Bob Weaver, I have been waiting for you to post about our beloved Mine Train. So beloved was our Mine train, that fragments of the attraction are still scattered about in Frontierland. I stop on every visit and expound to my son about the glee of slowly seeing animals in their natural habitat.

but my son responds. "Gheez Dad, that sounds really lame. You mean to tell me that you would rather have that train then rolling around here on Thunder Mountain?

then I just have to hang my head down, think about and respond " Hey you want to see some jumping fish?"

I blame it all on the 1960s viewing the True Life Adventure films during school assemblies. Now that was modern technology.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rachane View Post
    The TWA Rocket to the Moon. Not only was it the most dramatic and famous symbol of Disneyland after Sleeping Beauty's Castle, but the ride itself was slick, comfortable, and perfectly believable, including ramps that appeared to go right into the rocket, view plates that showed passengers Disneyland disappearing beneath them after launch and appearing beneath them before landing. The TWA sponsorship was just right, with the same stewardesses and captain greeting you that you would recognize from one of the airline's commercial flights.

I would bring it back today with the full original TWA insignia and period uniforms, updating only the technology to "Soarin' Over California" standards, and tweaking the physical sensations a la Star Tours. It would be even more convincing, but would now have the flavor of "1950s sci-fi retro", which I think is what poor old Tomorrowland desperately needs to recapture its soul. Plus you wouldn't have to take off your shoes before being permitted to board ... How '50s can you get?

And of course I would restore the original rocket in its full size and glory, and ashcan that embarassing little unmarked weenie thing sitting over the hot dog stand today.

Indeed, with today's laser-holographic convergence tech, I bet it would be possible for people outside the ride to "see the rocket taking off and disappearing into space", then reappearing to land. Particularly at night this would be quite a spectacle.
    My one clear memory visiting as a six year old, I thought it was so real. I can still recall leaving earth.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

Country Bears at Disneyland is at the top of my list, also (especially since there were TWO theaters).,

I would also say The Walt Disney Story, with BOTH of Walt's offices, side by side!

THE Disney Gallery (above Pirates)

Stores on Main Street USA where the queue is NOT taking up more space than the merchandise (Death to the current version of the Gibson Girl that killed off the beautiful crystal elephant and the Penny Arcade), and Death to the current version of Starbucks that killed off the Disneyana store and the Markethouse)

Access to the themed courtyards in New Orleans Square.

And over at WDW, The Adventurers Club!

I figured Tom Sawyer's Island wouldn't last forever, but I never expected something in Frontierland would end up becoming pirate themed.

If the rumors are true then Soarin Over California.

Also the science aspect of Tomorrowland. They might as well change the name to Spaceland the way it is now.

Haunted Mansion and Tiki Room. I don't even like HM very much and the Tiki Room isn't all that exciting, but both just have so much of Walt in them. Considering that HM was one of the last rides he personally oversaw everyone would flip if there was a major refurb. Same with Tiki Room- they just have so much history.

• Minion

The Skyway. Now it would be impossible to rebuild.

I love Pooh and Splash Mountain is my favorite attraction, but I miss the Country Bear Jamboree and America Sings. Splash Mountain could have been in California Adventure and Winnie the Pooh could have been built in Fantasyland. Everybody wins.
    When you wish upon a star, your dreams (wishes your hearts make) come true. So go and have a supercalifragilistic zip a dee doo dah day with no worries (Hakuna Matata). Why should you worry? Why should you care? Just travel to the second star to the right and let it go. Have an unbirthday party under the sea. Go the distance, somewhere out there and just look for the bare necessities. In this whole new world, remember the tale as old as time: it all started with a mouse.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Adventure View Post
    That said, I absolutely love, LOVE Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Star Tours. I think if two classics like MTTNW and ATIS are to be replaced they better be replaced with something great, and they were.
    If they had planned properly, they could have integrated the Mine Train and Big Thunder into one area, with the "show building" (mountain) for Big Thunder on the berm or north of the berm. Then they could have both running today. Star Tours really should have replaced Mission to Mars, as both were simulator attractions, but Mission to Mars was in a remote corner while ATIS had a prime location at the entrance to Tomorrowland, and I suspect maybe George Lucas demanded that location.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    If they had planned properly, they could have integrated the Mine Train and Big Thunder into one area
    They could have, but it wouldn't have been wise. The Mine Train suffered from poor attendance for quite some time before it was replaced (I think it even had a ticket devaluation at some point as well).

The problem wasn't so much how to add Thunder as it was how to remove the Mine Train. Which to the point of the thread, is why most attractions are removed: poor attendance. That's why realistically, nothing was untouchable.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    They could have, but it wouldn't have been wise. The Mine Train suffered from poor attendance for quite some time before it was replaced (I think it even had a ticket devaluation at some point as well).

The problem wasn't so much how to add Thunder as it was how to remove the Mine Train. Which to the point of the thread, is why most attractions are removed: poor attendance. That's why realistically, nothing was untouchable.
    It's too bad they couldn't save the Rainbow Caverns portion and incorporated it into Big Thunder. That's probably the only part of the old ride I've never seen pictures of.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    If they had planned properly, they could have integrated the Mine Train and Big Thunder into one area, with the "show building" (mountain) for Big Thunder on the berm or north of the berm. Then they could have both running today. Star Tours really should have replaced Mission to Mars, as both were simulator attractions, but Mission to Mars was in a remote corner while ATIS had a prime location at the entrance to Tomorrowland, and I suspect maybe George Lucas demanded that location.

Whoa Bob Weaver! There is a BIG problem with your above imagineering, if Star Tours had gone in to the Mission to Mars building WE WOULDN'T HAVE REDD ROCKETS PIZZA PORT.

:/

• The doctor is in

Country Bear Jamboree.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

An extinct ride with an untouchable status....... I really miss Adventure Thru Inner Space!!! It got torn or without being upgraded That ride was not only fully immersive all inclusive in it's theming, but it was grandiose and spectacular with its large scaled props and it's excellent use of forced perspective visual effects. We were characters part of its story. It made us it's subject. You have to applaud Disney for having created this ride! It used a mighty microscope to shrink us down to the size of a molecule!! We saw strands from a snowflake, blood cells in circulation, and among other things in one scene, the all seeing eye of the scientist above watching us thru his microscope lens. Advancements in animations and electronics would have kept this ride fresh and attractive thru the years. It was a great ride to make out with your girlfriend on (it became known for that), and it's theme song "Miracles From molecules" stayed with you long after you left the ride. That was such a great ride! Disney, please bring this one back!!!
    Last edited by carlswitzerfan; 08-07-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: adding purpose to my thought

Country Bear Jamboree for sure. What made it disappear in California? Honestly, in that little corner of Critter Country there was enough space to put Pooh in there as a ride and keep the Bears. For some reason Pooh replaces a lot of classics (Country Bears, Mr. Toad in WDW).

I guess there are times management has to make some difficult decisions in order to move forward but the Bears just have this timeless feel to them.........

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast