Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Which extinct attraction do you feel had "untouchable status"? (Be realistic)

For me it would have to be Country Bear Jamboree, it was a true Disneyland classic and a memorable one at that.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Re: Which extinct attraction do you feel had "untouchable status"? (Be realistic)

Adventures Through Inner Space or America Sings would be at the top of my list for sure.

"I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

Re: Which extinct attraction do you feel had "untouchable status"? (Be realistic)

I was just thinking about an attraction that is truly "untouchable", Space Mountain. People would flip if the touched that.

But as for extinct attractions, I guess none of them. They're extinct
    PlutoHasFleas: The MiceChat Blog

"You are not the first to pass this way, but honestly, it's been a while." - Maelstrom

Not sure if anything from Disneyland that has been replaced was really "untouchable". I would agree with DL_CRAZE about the Country Bear Jamboree though, if any attraction can qualify for the original question it would be that.

Now WDW has lost a couple that certainly felt untouchable and those would be Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Snow White's Scary Adventures.

Disneyland has been around for 60 years now and it seems that they have pretty much perfected the "Disneyland" type park. Every one of them (with one or two exceptions) has a version of these:

Space Mountain
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    The Haunted Mansion
    it's a small world
    Mad Tea Party
    Dumbo the Flying Elephant
    Splash Mountain

So there's your untouchable list going forward, it would be hard to imagine any of these EVER going away.
    Last edited by Disney Adventure; 08-03-2014 at 06:01 PM.

As far as an extinct attraction that I personally thought was an untouchable, I'd say Star Tours. It did get upgraded, but i'll miss Captain Rex.
    "Have I gone mad?"
    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Lightbulb Re: Which extinct attraction do you feel had "untouchable status"? (Be realistic)

The TWA Rocket to the Moon. Not only was it the most dramatic and famous symbol of Disneyland after Sleeping Beauty's Castle, but the ride itself was slick, comfortable, and perfectly believable, including ramps that appeared to go right into the rocket, view plates that showed passengers Disneyland disappearing beneath them after launch and appearing beneath them before landing. The TWA sponsorship was just right, with the same stewardesses and captain greeting you that you would recognize from one of the airline's commercial flights.

I would bring it back today with the full original TWA insignia and period uniforms, updating only the technology to "Soarin' Over California" standards, and tweaking the physical sensations a la Star Tours. It would be even more convincing, but would now have the flavor of "1950s sci-fi retro", which I think is what poor old Tomorrowland desperately needs to recapture its soul. Plus you wouldn't have to take off your shoes before being permitted to board ... How '50s can you get?

And of course I would restore the original rocket in its full size and glory, and ashcan that embarassing little unmarked weenie thing sitting over the hot dog stand today.

Indeed, with today's laser-holographic convergence tech, I bet it would be possible for people outside the ride to "see the rocket taking off and disappearing into space", then reappearing to land. Particularly at night this would be quite a spectacle.
    ______
    Rachane

• Seed and Mulch

In California? Four things come to mind ...

1. The Main Street Electrical Parade
    2. 20k Leagues Under the Sea
    3. WEDway Peoplemover
    4. The Country Bear Jamboree

I'd add a fifth, the Remember Dreams Come True fireworks (the greatest tribute to Disneyland they've ever created), but that's not quite extinct.

In Florida? There's a 1 and 1(a) ...

1. Horizons
    1. Journey Into Imagination

2. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    3. Snow White's Adventures
    4. Cranium Command
    5. World of Motion

#1 would have been the Enchanted Tiki Room, but the original has already returned.

Blog Entries

I dont think we can call country bears extinct since theyre in florida. same with peoplemover. i think main street electric parade should have updated using fibre optics, what light tragic promised. mission to mars should have stayed instead of being replaced, it should have continued to be updated, i loved the control room.

• Minion

The original subs

• Dole Whip Fiend

I thought the Rocket Jets would be there forever in some form because they were so high up and offered a great thrill due to the height. Yeah I know the Astro Orbiter replaced them, but it's not the same and seems so out of place in its current location.

Skull Rock seemed quite untouchable, even more so looking back now.

Tahitian Terrace was also a surprise retirement, though perhaps it wasn't very busy by the time it was replaced by Aladdin's Oasis (would love to know if anyone remembers how busy it was or wasn't during its last months). I can only imagine that it would be packed now if they brought it back, not to mention bringing in some decent cash. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

The Carousel of Progress and the Ford Magic Skyway, which Walt Disney himself said would find a permanent home at Disneyland after the World's Fair. True, even in Walt's lifetime, the Magic Skyway was eventually axed aside from the Primeval World and the ride technology, which was utilized for the Peoplemover. Of course, that Disney-developed transportation system was eventually removed as well.
    Last edited by Great Movie Rider; 08-03-2014 at 09:21 PM.

I too would like to know why the closure of Tahitian Terrace.
    DL_Craze, I mentioned in a different thread my belief that the Country Bears were doomed due to Chuck E. Cheese. The general public felt that they could get that kind of entertainment anywhere. They didn't see the value that you and I did for that magnificent attraction. BTW, my daughter and I were there on September 9, 2001 on its last day.

4th Gen Disney Fan, I too loved Adventures Through Inner Space and believe that ride could have been updated and modernized. My wife (fresh girlfriend then) and I shared our first kiss on that ride. We were 16 and 14 at the time.

It's a shame that people may have felt like you could get the same kind of entertainment at Chuck E friggin' Cheese. I mean, yes, they had singing animatronics... but no where near the detail and and overall quality of the Country Bears. I personally think that Country Bears movie bombing hard didn't help either.
    "Have I gone mad?"
    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

What do you mean by "be realistic"?

I for one would love to see Fantasmic! go. Is that being unrealistic? What about if the Peoplemover, ATIS, CBJ, AS were still around and I said the same thing about them. Would that be as equally unrealistic?

Peoplemover !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast