View Poll Results: Should Castle-launched fireworks be discontinued?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Too much risk to the Castle and the rides

4 10.26%
  • No - I'm not worried

35 89.74%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• I'm not really here

Re: Fireworks/fire hazard vs. the Castle and rides

Quote Originally Posted by notlemc View Post
    An issue happened during the 50th when a fake tree on the Matterhorn caught on fire, but they quickly closed the ride, put out the fire, and reopened the ride all within a short time frame.
    I was in line for the Matterhorn when this happened.

I've also discovered that it is possible to ride ALL 4 Fantasyland dark rides in under 15 minutes immediately after the all clear to open Fantasyland is given after the fireworks. We use this little gem frequently on our trips.

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    The Magic Kingdom at WDW keeps their Fantasyland open during their fireworks, I think.
    Different size castle, different and placement of Fantasyland relative to said hugemongous castle. Different state, different regulations and requirements.

Also, Disney wants to lose their castle even less than we want it to be lost. After all, they have to do any repairs/reconstruction on it and pay for it. No... they've done their homework and risk assessments and take precautions to protect it. Any additional risk from launching fireworks off of it are minimal and probably no more than the risk that something inside it might short out and catch fire (lighting, projectors, etc for the walkthrough).

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• dl159

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    The Magic Kingdom at WDW keeps their Fantasyland open during their fireworks, I think.
    This is true but the reason they stay open during fireworks is because the entrances for their rides are not located in the firework fallout zone. MK Peter Pan entrance is around the spot where DL's Fantasy Land touches Big Thunder and MK's Phillarmagic entrance is around the area of DL's Village Haus is. The entrance to MK's Winnie the Pooh is located around the area where DL's Mad T Party is. At DL Mad T Party is open during fireworks and even thought Village Haus is already closed for the day by fireworks, they do not close off its seating area. Also the Magic Kingdom has a lot more room for the debris to fall. About triple the amount Disneyland has behind the castle.
    Last edited by DLR159; 08-04-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Since they have to close the castle and all attached (and nearby) rides due to the fireworks and the related fire hazard, do you think that the castle and the attached rides are too valuable to risk going up in flames on a nightly basis and that they should discontinue castle-launched fireworks?

On the one hand you have the thrill of fireworks going off from the castle, but on the other hand you have the fire risk to the castle and the five (!) attached dark rides, not to mention the awkwardness of ride closures during the busy evening hours.
    Frankly I would like them to stop the nightly fireworks, Fantasmic and World of Colors and simply rotate them one of the three each night... but not because I'm afraid of a fire or flood, simply because it would reduce crowds in the parks.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Mackster View Post
    Frankly I would like them to stop the nightly fireworks, Fantasmic and World of Colors and simply rotate them one of the three each night... but not because I'm afraid of a fire or flood, simply because it would reduce crowds in the parks.
    Would it really reduce the crowds in the parks though? The vast majority of those people would still stay in the parks and would still be going on rides and in queues and in walkways. They may not be all congregated in one area, but they would still be in the park and clogging up other areas.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Would it really reduce the crowds in the parks though? The vast majority of those people would still stay in the parks and would still be going on rides and in queues and in walkways. They may not be all congregated in one area, but they would still be in the park and clogging up other areas.
    It would greatly reduce the number of local AP holders that drop in with seeing one of the events and then leaving in mind. And would also open up significant areas that are otherwise roped off with people sitting. When you have a dozen people throwing down blankets to sit on and spreading out their backpacks of refreshments it takes up a lot more room than if those same dozen people were standing.

If either of these things was new and fresh I could understand having it going every night, but frankly they are getting stale and don't need to nightly showing that they currently get in peak seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackster View Post
    It would greatly reduce the number of local AP holders that drop in with seeing one of the events and then leaving in mind. And would also open up significant areas that are otherwise roped off with people sitting. When you have a dozen people throwing down blankets to sit on and spreading out their backpacks of refreshments it takes up a lot more room than if those same dozen people were standing.

If either of these things was new and fresh I could understand having it going every night, but frankly they are getting stale and don't need to nightly showing that they currently get in peak seasons.
    The dip in the number of AP's would be far outweighed by the number of everyday guests who are trying to see the show. Instead of a normal Fantasmic! crowd, there would be 3 days worth of Fantasmic! crowds all trying to see one show. Same with the fireworks and World of Color. With how busy the shows are, the infrastructure just couldn't handle the sheer numbers of people all trying to see the same show.
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

• Minion

I have a used blasting cap wire that I found in the pine straw by the jumping fish. Was photographing some butterflies and there it was on top of the pine needles. It is in my scrapbook as the one thing I removed from Disneyland.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: My sisters and I have never liked the fact that fireworks are shot off from the castle. Just because Disney management doesn't worry about it doesn't mean the rest of us can't be legitimately worried. Disney has made mistakes before--some that have caused deaths. So we're not so ready to give them a free pass.
    I have full faith that Disney management/safety is more than prepared to tackle any situation that could possibly occur during the fireworks show. They've been doing it since 1958. I can't be certain as to when they started launching pyro from the castle, but I do know it's been long enough now that they have a grip on it. That isn't to say something couldn't ever happen - but I feel like Disney has a complete handle on it.

I also don't really think it's fair to compare a far fetched worry to a guest accident in the park, fatal or not.

• Minion

I dislike the castle effects for a reason other than safety--I dislike them because they only look great and effective if you're in front of the castle. If you're standing in other areas of the park you get some odd angles and miss the full effect of the show. This, I believe, leads to the huge crowd in the hub and on Main Street and the nightmare of the mass exodus. If the fireworks were completely in the backlot and the show looked exactly the same wherever you were standing in the park (be it Main Street, by the ROA, over in TL, etc.) it would both keep FL open and reduce the congestion on the hub/Main Street. There would still be the mass exodus, of course, but there could be more traffic flow simply because not everyone is trying to get the only good view in the park and thus blocking the way.

Fantasyland is closed not due to the castle fireworks, but for the fallout zone for the main fireworks shows...so shooting from the castle or not...rides still need to be closed to keep the Fire Marshall happy.

During the fireworks there are 22 or 23 (can't remember the exact number) D-Land fire personnel (above the pyro team) stationed backstage and on top of buildings with a vantage point to see all possible landing zones for renegade fireworks. Buildings and attraction's roofs around the fireworks are constructed with the potential of fallout happening...precautions are taken.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ParkHopper1 View Post
    Fantasyland is closed not due to the castle fireworks, but for the fallout zone for the main fireworks shows...so shooting from the castle or not...rides still need to be closed to keep the Fire Marshall happy.
    I don't believe that's the case. Disneyland did not start closing FL for fireworks until the 50th when it introduced, for the first time, castle effects. Prior to the 50th, FL remained open during the fireworks show.

There are actually launch towers right behind Toon Town that have launch positions that are significantly closer than the main launch bank...it is a combination of those and increased fire safety standards that led to closing of FL. Got to spend an hour with the Pyro team during a training seminar last year and hear about all of their challenges...pretty cool to see it!

•   
    • Minion

I have to think that Disney has this one under control. I could be wrong, but IMHO, as others said, I'm sure they took the buildings' safety into consideration when they designed and planned the fireworks' launch location. It seems as though they're really serious about safety there - they don't set the fireworks off if there's any wind, for instance.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Quote Originally Posted by oo_nrb View Post
    The dip in the number of AP's would be far outweighed by the number of everyday guests who are trying to see the show. Instead of a normal Fantasmic! crowd, there would be 3 days worth of Fantasmic! crowds all trying to see one show. Same with the fireworks and World of Color. With how busy the shows are, the infrastructure just couldn't handle the sheer numbers of people all trying to see the same show.
    Oh I fully expect that on the given day that the show happened that it would be more crowded than usual at that particular place... but it would still make it far less crowded at the other park not having a show that night or the area not setup in DL for either the fireworks or Fantasmic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12