View Poll Results: Should Castle-launched fireworks be discontinued?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Too much risk to the Castle and the rides

4 10.26%
  • No - I'm not worried

35 89.74%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fireworks/fire hazard vs. the Castle and rides

Since they have to close the castle and all attached (and nearby) rides due to the fireworks and the related fire hazard, do you think that the castle and the attached rides are too valuable to risk going up in flames on a nightly basis and that they should discontinue castle-launched fireworks?

On the one hand you have the thrill of fireworks going off from the castle, but on the other hand you have the fire risk to the castle and the five (!) attached dark rides, not to mention the awkwardness of ride closures during the busy evening hours.

Re: Fireworks/fire hazard vs. the Castle and rides

I honestly don't see the big deal, I don't think Disney would launch of fireworks from the castle if they thought that it was dangerous. ive never hear anything about incidences where fires are started from the fireworks. They have professionals who know what they're doing lighting them off.

"Why do we have to grow up? I know more adults who have the children's approach to life. They're people who don't give a hang what the Joneses do. You see them at Disneyland every time you go there. They are not afraid to be delighted with simple pleasures, and they have a degree of contentment with what life has brought - sometimes it isn't much, either." - Walt Disney

Apparently a month or so ago there was a small fire on top of the Little Mermaid attraction caused by the Wishes fireworks at the Magic Kingdom.

That's impossible..the little mermaids under water. lol

"Why do we have to grow up? I know more adults who have the children's approach to life. They're people who don't give a hang what the Joneses do. You see them at Disneyland every time you go there. They are not afraid to be delighted with simple pleasures, and they have a degree of contentment with what life has brought - sometimes it isn't much, either." - Walt Disney

Small, small fires do occasionally pop up from time to time. In fact, in recent memory a smaller ornamentation on the castle did indeed catch fire. Fortunately, Disney is more than prepared and the fire was out and the ornamentation refurbished by the next day. Small things happen, I'm sure Disney's pyro team has done more than enough research to ensure that castle-launched pyro is safe.

• I am number 4 of 999

Judging by the amount of fireworks Disneyland sets off in a year, I would say it's definitely not something they're concerned about. So, why are you?
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• #bringevilback

I thought they closed the area due to possible falling debris, not due to fire risk. My guess is there is very low risk and they are well prepared should something happen.
    Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I have never liked the fact that fireworks are shot off from the castle. Just because Disney management doesn't worry about it doesn't mean the rest of us can't be legitimately worried. Disney has made mistakes before--some that have caused deaths. So we're not so ready to give them a free pass.

ORWEN: I've never liked the fact that they close off such an important section of Fantasyland for the purpose of fireworks. They never used to do that. Now it impacts your plans and makes things just a bit more inconvenient.

ORGOCH: Got fire extinguishers???

• the rum is always gone

The rides are closed due to the falling debris from the fireworks, not for the safety of the buildings. Having the rides open or closed does not change the safety of the buildings during the fireworks.

After each show, the firework crews examine the tops of the buildings for any remaining debris that is still on fire. Once an "all clear" is given, then the buildings are reopened to the public. An issue happened during the 50th when a fake tree on the Matterhorn caught on fire, but they quickly closed the ride, put out the fire, and reopened the ride all within a short time frame.

•   
    • Minion

I dislike the fact they close so many attractions when they set off the fireworks. I miss the days of going on those attractions when there was no lines during the fireworks. Of course if it were up to me I would prefer a day where DL had no fireworks and no Fantasmic on the same day. Just one day out of the week is all I ask!

• Foolish Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I dislike the fact they close so many attractions when they set off the fireworks. I miss the days of going on those attractions when there was no lines during the fireworks. Of course if it were up to me I would prefer a day where DL had no fireworks and no Fantasmic on the same day. Just one day out of the week is all I ask!
    +1 on all of this. It is a bummer to see the heart of Fantasyland closed every evening about an hour before, then during, and after fireworks. (I totally understand the safety reasons)

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Try every weekday during the off season...?
    Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse

There are no Fireworks and no Fantasmic 4 days a week for most of the year. I dont mind them closing FL at all, and I very much enjoy the fireworks that go off on top of and around the castle. There is still plenty of things to do when the fireworks are going on that you can take advantage of the short lines. The only things that have a line in FL that time of night are Peter Pan and Alice anyway.

• Minion

The Magic Kingdom at WDW keeps their Fantasyland open during their fireworks, I think.

Any fireworks display is a calculated risk no matter how close to zero it gets, but it's still greater than zero. Real world -- accidents happen.

I, personally, would consider any probability greater than zero too risky for such important landmarks.

I can understand using Toontown since, though I don't dislike it, replacing it wouldn't cause much grief.

But, really, the original Castle in the original Park and multiple dark rides that are the core of the "Disneyland Experience?" No way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast