Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should new rides be based on movies, retro attractions or new creations altogether?

Every time a new attraction is being talked about, the rumors seem to fall into three general categories:

1) Rides based on movies and existing properties like Star Wars Land or a Marvel character
    2) Bringing back an old attraction like Adventures through Inner Space
    3) Have Imagineers come up with something new entirely

Personally I'd like to see Disney go the route of #3 and come up with a new, original story to tell. Most of my favorite rides at DL fall into this category (e.g. Pirates, Haunted Mansion, BTMR). I think this gives them the most creative latitude to come up with something new rather than recreating something that I've already seen in some other form.

Rides based on movies are great because they help you feel like you're a part of the experience that you already have a connection to. Retro attractions are fun because they tie into that nostalgist in all of us, but I'm not sure how much some of those classics resonate with kids or average visitors to the park.

Any thoughts?

Re: Should new rides be based on movies, retro attractions or new creations altogethe

I prefer a mix of 3 and 1, which is what Disneyland was built on. Of course, since suits seem to promote "synergy" like it's corporate tourettes, we end up w/ original attractions having rides made out of them to cash in on the ride's popularity. It has worked exactly one time (with the Pirates franchise), but dangit, they're just gonna keep trying.
    "Have I gone mad?"
    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Re: Should new rides be based on movies, retro attractions or new creations altogethe

I think there is room for all 3 concepts. Honestly though, if the ride is done well, if it's compelling, it will be popular no matter what it is based on. I don't have many hang-ups about the movie based attractions as long as the are good rides.

• I'm not really here

They should be based on whatever best serves the purpose and story of the attraction. Period. Fixing any one of them as to what it "should" be based on is a limit on creativity and tools available.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    They should be based on whatever best serves the purpose and story of the attraction. Period. Fixing any one of them as to what it "should" be based on is a limit on creativity and tools available.
    You seem to have the opposite approach to development as I do. The theme or story for the attraction should come first, and then they should develop an attraction around that. Story is the core of all of the Disney parks. They can come up with the engineering to support that core idea.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Co Foo View Post
    You seem to have the opposite approach to development as I do. The theme or story for the attraction should come first, and then they should develop an attraction around that. Story is the core of all of the Disney parks. They can come up with the engineering to support that core idea.
    No, we have the same developmental approach, my point is that it shouldn't be limited by having to be based on previous IP, or having to be original, or etc. The story should be able to be whatever it needs to be... if that's 100% of one, or a mix of several.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• 11 Year Annual Passholder

I think a mix of Type 1 and Type 3 is best. I think the reason we haven't seen a lot of Type 3 is because Disney is afraid that creating an original attraction won't bring in as many crowds as Type 1. I do think that Type 3 rides are riskier, but if there is enough positive buzz, they can be just as popular as Type 1 rides.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 12.15.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 20

Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    I think a mix of Type 1 and Type 3 is best. I think the reason we haven't seen a lot of Type 3 is because Disney is afraid that creating an original attraction won't bring in as many crowds as Type 1. I do think that Type 3 rides are riskier, but if there is enough positive buzz, they can be just as popular as Type 1 rides.
    The odd part is, Type 3 rides are the most popular at the parks. Disney has just trained people lately to go and see the movie rides, but it seems like a lot of people's favorites list tends to include: Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain, The Matterhorn and Space Mountain. Tiki Room. Jungle Cruise and It's a Small World also tend to be pretty popular. It may seem more of a "risk" (the risk being not as much merch to peddle), but people go to Disneyland for cool, themed rides. If it's promoted well, people are going to check out the cool new ride, no matter what it's based on.
    "Have I gone mad?"
    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

• Iron-Clad Allie

Without any remorse, I love rides based on my favorite movies. That said, it would be fun to see more rides based on intriguing and/or fun novels too. Original non-movie based ride ideas are cool too...such as the Matterhorn Bobsleds. I've been hoping Disney will come up with a movie based on that for some time now.

Seems to me like Walt based a palithera of Disneyland rides and other attractions on movies and books. Wonder what would have happened if he had try to be more original. If he would have done so, my prediction is that the park would have been far less popular with guests in general....perhaps even starkly failed.

Dure to popular movie based attractions, Disney and Universal are at the top of the heap in the worldwide theme park industry. Let those parks below them that follow other strategies maintain their results and keep their spots.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 08-05-2014 at 10:31 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

If Disney decided that they were going to build a ride I don't mind which type it is. However I am leaning to the type 3 more than anything. Disneyland needs to add a little more variety.

• Down Pluto!

Inverse order than in your post.

1) Have Imagineers come up with something new entirely
    2) Bringing back an old attraction like Adventures through Inner Space
    3) Rides based on movies and existing properties like Star Wars Land or a Marvel character

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Minion

I'd like to see them think outside the box for movie catalog inspired attractions. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Splash Mountain are classic attractions, but their source material is pretty obscure. Bring Atlantis or Robinsons into Tomorrowland, not more Star Wars.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Yes, Yes and Yes.

Favorite DL Ride:
    Splash Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion
    Favorite DLCA Ride: Radiator Springs Racers

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    Good point. Also, Disney has naturally created more type 1 than type 3 rides since it's inception because ride spin offs of it's theater film properties furthered the creative magic most popular with the general public.

Walt was more farsighted and cooler than most entertainment industry entrepreneurs in that he took greater risks associated with original attractions. He even risked It's A Small World and Carousel of Progress at the World's Fair before bringing them to Disneyland.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

I'm good with a mix of 1 and 3 equally.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast