Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I'm not really here

Big Hero 6 Meet-n-Greet

The parks blog has announced that Hiro and Baymax will be greeting guests at both US resorts this fall.

"Stay tuned for location and date information."

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion

Re: Big Hero 6 Meet-n-Greet

I wonder where they'll put them here. Tomorrowland is probably more likely, but I honestly wouldn't mind seeing them in Pacific Wharf

Sounds like a TomorrowLand m&g.
    Any word on what's happening to the theater once the Guardians trailer goes? Is it going back to Captain EO?

• Minion

ORWEN: More and more Disney is becoming less 'Disney' with the invasion of outside characters that the company has bought. One of the reasons I always liked Disney wasn't just because of what it was--but also because of what it wasn't. Marvel characters and Disney characters just don't mix well. They never have and never will.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORWEN: More and more Disney is becoming less 'Disney' with the invasion of outside characters that the company has bought. One of the reasons I always liked Disney wasn't just because of what it was--but also because of what it wasn't. Marvel characters and Disney characters just don't mix well. They never have and never will.
    I don't see how Disney adapting Big Hero 6 is any different from adapting Brothers Grimm tales or books like Alice in Wonderland or The Black Couldron

• I'm not really here

What invasion? Disney has ALWAYS been about "outside" characters. In fact, the vast majority of Walt's animated films were outside characters that he purchased the rights to use in his films, or were so old they were just in the public domain already. Either way, Walt wasn't creating original characters left and right, but basing his films on books others had written. In fact, the first truly completely original film with no characters based on any other previous work in ANY way was The Duck Tales movie. While the characters in The Great Mouse Detective were original, their identities and traits were based on Sherlockian characters.

Snow White, not an original Disney character
    Pinocchio, not an original Disney character

Fantasia, mix
    Dumbo, not an original Disney character
    Bambi, not an original Disney character,

Saludos Amigos, mix
    The Three Caballeros, mix
    Make Mine Music, mix
    Fun and Fancy Free, mix
    Melody Time, mix

Ichabod and Mr. Toad, not original Disney characters,
    Cinderella, not an original Disney character,
    Alice in Wonderland, not an original Disney character,
    Peter Pan, not an original Disney character,
    Lady and the Tramp, not an original Disney character,
    Sleeping Beauty, not an original Disney character,
    101 Dalmatians, not an original Disney character,
    Sword in the Stone, not an original Disney character,
    Jungle Book, not an original Disney character,
    Aristocats, not an original Disney character,
    Robin Hood, not an original Disney character,
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, not an original Disney character,
    The Rescuers, not an original Disney character,
    The Fox and the Hound, not an original Disney character,
    The Black Cauldron, not an original Disney character,

The Great Mouse Detective, not original Disney character,
    Oliver & Company, not an original character,
    The Little Mermaid, not original Disney character,

Duck Tales, the Movie, original,
    The Rescuers Down Under, not an original character,
    Beauty and the Beast, not an original character,
    Aladdin, not an original character,

The Lion King, original
    A Goofy Movie, original,

Pocahontas, not an original character,
    James and the Giant Peach, not an original character,
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame, not an original character,
    Hercules, not an original character,

Mulan, not an original character,
    Tarzan, not an original character,
    Tigger Movie, not an original character,

Emperor's New Groove, original,
    Atlantis, original,
    Lilo & Stitch, original,

Treasure Planet, not an original character,
    Brother Bear, original,
    Home on the Range, original

Chicken Little, not an original character,
    Meet the Robinsons, not an original character,

Bolt, original,
    Princess and the Frog, not an original character,
    Tangled, not an original character,

Wreck-It Ralph, original,
    Frozen, not an original character,
    Last edited by mycroft16; 08-06-2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: fixed Mulan and GMD

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• "Always On The Move..."

Hate to tell you but Mulan (which is one of my all time favorite movies) is NOT an original Disney character. She is based on the legends of a real life person in China. Her story is fascinating.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Minion

Hiro will be a face character which pleases me.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch View Post
    Hate to tell you but Mulan (which is one of my all time favorite movies) is NOT an original Disney character. She is based on the legends of a real life person in China. Her story is fascinating.
    Thanks, I was going largely from memory on this and doing really quick checks on others. Will update the list.

FYI - The Great Mouse Detective is based on the book "Basil of Baker Street"

So it too isn't "Disney original"

• Minion

ORDDU: It's true that the original version of Snow White and a lot of other classic stories weren't originated by Walt Disney. But he made his own MOVIE versions of those stories and those are what the Disney parks promote--NOT the original Brother's Grimm version. So I think somebody is being deliberately obtuse by comparing the original Brother's Grimm version to Walt Disney's version and then saying it's the same as promoting some other studio's movies in a Disney theme park. The movies about the Marvel characters were created a different studio.

ORWEN: Plus they just don't fit in with the established worlds of Mickey Mouse, Snow White, Pete's Dragon, Mary Poppins, etc., etc.

ORGOCH: Yeah, Walt Dizzy Comp'ny's becomin' a big mess.

• Minion

ORDDU: It's true that the original version of Snow White and a lot of other classic stories weren't originated by Walt Disney. But he made his own MOVIE versions of those stories and those are what the Disney parks promote--NOT the original Brother's Grimm version. So I think somebody is being deliberately obtuse by comparing the original Brother's Grimm version to Walt Disney's version and then saying it's the same as promoting some other studio's movies in a Disney theme park. The movies about the Marvel characters were created a different studio.

ORWEN: Plus they just don't fit in with the established worlds of Mickey Mouse, Snow White, Pete's Dragon, Mary Poppins, etc., etc.

I can't claim to be much of an expert of Marvel but a quick Google of 'Big Hero 6', 'Hiro' has 'Baymax' and shown me that these are also different versions of these characters. Neither of these two characters look all that much like their new versions. How don't you think they fit in with the worlds of Mickey, Snow White etc? From what I know of the plot it seems more fantasy than 101 Dalmations, should anything to do with that not be in the parks either?
    Last edited by ssaamm; 08-06-2014 at 04:46 PM.

• Minion

Big Hero 6 isn't being made by Marvel Studios, it's being completely made by disney animation. Apparently, it isn't even centered in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but it's own stand alone universe. Also, Like ssaamm said, disney isnt completely borrowing from the comic. Hiro Hamada (from the film) is based on the character Hiro Takachiho from the comics, and the films baymax as well as fred-zilla are vastly different from their comic counterparts. Two characters ho are part of the team apparently don't even appear in the film. Disney is making Big Hero 6 their own...actually looking into the film rather than dismissing it simply because its based on a Marvel series would have told you that.
    Last edited by imaginashton; 08-06-2014 at 05:08 PM.

• I'm not really here

That is correct Imaginashton. Marvel gave Disney permission to do their completely own, unique interpretation of Big Hero 6. In the grand tradition of the many Disney animated films before it. Taking original source material from somewhere else and reimagining it as their own.

I'm excited to meet Baymax!!! I'll be counting down the days. And you purist folks, Big Hero 6 is as much Disney as any other feature animation that has been adapted by studio. I would think they deserve just as much promotion within the parks as the feature animations that came before it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast