Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Turning Tomorrowland into "Star Wars Land"

I'm sure that everyone has seen the Bob Iger news by now where he says that there will be "significant" plans to incorporate Star Wars into the parks. Some people have speculated that this will include changing Tomorrowland into Star Wars Land.

This is a much bigger change than adding in an extra ride or character greets, but imaging the branding that we've grown to love being gone and replaced with something else entirely. Do they keep Space Mountain or does that have to be changed too?

There are some other threads about what a "significant presence" means, but I wanted to concentrate on how a refurbishment at this level would feel. What are the pros and cons of going this far?
    Last edited by Co Foo; 08-06-2014 at 02:22 PM.

• Minion

Re: Turning Tomorrowland into "Star Wars Land"

There is already a discussion on this.
    Star Wars "Significant presence" in Disney Theme Parks

• Future Imagineer

Adding another star wars ride and a new restaurant isn't exactly a star wars land replacing Tomorrowland (everything would have to be replaced for that to be true)

• Down Pluto!

No.
    Just no.
    No more Star Wars in Tomorrowland. Build that third gate or give it up, Disney.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

I say build it. Star Wars is cool and would be amazing in the parks if done right. TL right now is pretty broken. The Walt fan boys probably won't get over their butt-hurt even if an amazing SW area is delivered, but that isn't a reason not to IMO.

If my choices are a crappy Tomorrowland vs a well done Star Wars land, I'll take the Star Wars.
    "Have I gone mad?"
    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySpaceAce View Post
    If my choices are a crappy Tomorrowland vs a well done Star Wars land, I'll take the Star Wars.
    And I'll take the crappy Tomorrowland because there is hope that it can be upgraded. Star Wars land would be a downgrade much greater than the 2000 re-do.

Third Gate!

• Minion

^^^This!

Star Wars doesn't thematically fit in Tomorrowland and turning all of Tomorrowland, an original land, into Star Wars Land is unforgivable.

Tomorrowland is a mess right now, but I'll take it as it is now rather than accept it turning into Star Wars. The Imagineers and TDA are just giving up on the original concept.

Star Wars shouldn't be in Tomorrowland as it took place "A LONG TIME AGO... IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY..." SO IT REPRESENTS THE PAST NOT THE FUTURE

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Wadepliskin View Post
    Star Wars shouldn't be in Tomorrowland as it took place "A LONG TIME AGO... IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY..." SO IT REPRESENTS THE PAST NOT THE FUTURE
    And a past far removed from Disneyland. Keep it that way.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Star Wars doesn't thematically fit in Tomorrowland
    Oh but it does. The whole "a long time ago" is a literary device to set up the film as a fairy tale. It's a form of "Once upon a time." That said, the actual time frame can't be taken literally as a long time ago. The whole film is a fairy tale space opera with a science fiction plot.

In terms of our view though, they are far more advanced than us. We can barely make it off of our rock, let alone travel the stars faster than light. The whole thing is massively futuristic for us. Relative time doesn't matter in the end.

A vast republic spanning hundreds and thousands of worlds fits the bill of Tomorrowland pretty well. Walt's words were "the hope for a peaceful and unified world." Yes, Star Wars has problems in the time we encounter it, but it had been a Republic that had ruled for many centuries peacefully with many species coexisting. I think that fits the bill.

How about "New frontiers in science, adventure, and ideals." Star Wars covers those pretty well also. Cloning technology, use of lasers, hyperspace, faster than light communication, robots of all shapes and sizes with intelligence, vastly superior medical technology, etc. The films even explore right and wrong, morality issues, ethical issues, etc.

We already have Star Tours in Tomorrowland, and have for a long time. The theme makes it work quite well actually. A spaceport. So theming Tomorrowland as a spaceport on Earth makes it possible to have a theme that works within the confines of Tomorrowland, yet allows for departures to Star Wars themed areas and attractions as well. Tomorrowland becomes the bridge to multiple possible themes.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Oh but it does. The whole "a long time ago" is a literary device to set up the film as a fairy tale. It's a form of "Once upon a time." That said, the actual time frame can't be taken literally as a long time ago. The whole film is a fairy tale space opera with a science fiction plot.

In terms of our view though, they are far more advanced than us. We can barely make it off of our rock, let alone travel the stars faster than light. The whole thing is massively futuristic for us. Relative time doesn't matter in the end.

A vast republic spanning hundreds and thousands of worlds fits the bill of Tomorrowland pretty well. Walt's words were "the hope for a peaceful and unified world." Yes, Star Wars has problems in the time we encounter it, but it had been a Republic that had ruled for many centuries peacefully with many species coexisting. I think that fits the bill.

How about "New frontiers in science, adventure, and ideals." Star Wars covers those pretty well also. Cloning technology, use of lasers, hyperspace, faster than light communication, robots of all shapes and sizes with intelligence, vastly superior medical technology, etc. The films even explore right and wrong, morality issues, ethical issues, etc.

We already have Star Tours in Tomorrowland, and have for a long time. The theme makes it work quite well actually. A spaceport. So theming Tomorrowland as a spaceport on Earth makes it possible to have a theme that works within the confines of Tomorrowland, yet allows for departures to Star Wars themed areas and attractions as well. Tomorrowland becomes the bridge to multiple possible themes.
    Opinion I don't agree with, and the logic of we did it once - it lasted a long time - so let's make everything that...is seriously flawed.

• Done with MC.

I really don't like the idea of SW's taking over TL but if that's all Disney can come up with to revamp the area then I would begrudgingly agree.
    I would much rather they employ some fresh idea's and theming though.

I'd rather see Disney be bought out in a hostile takeover like they almost were in 1984 than a complete Star Wars takeover of Tomorrowland. In fact I hope the new CEO is a Trekkie who hates Star Wars and DC fan who hates Marvel.

•   
    • Minion

What if our tomorrow is based off the technology from the galaxy far far away? So far I haven't seen much of the technology seen in Star Wars in my everyday life. Out of all the arguments against Star Wars in the parks. I find the clinging to phrase to start the movies to be very weak. Just my opinion of course but it seems to always show up in these threads.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast