Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Where would a DLR third gate be located?

I think they need a third park....I mean really while more people would come it would help spread people out because as is now the parks are way too crowded and would be nice to have a new park to take away people from DCA again...i loved when that park only had two rides with lines but now it gets so many guests most rides have lines

•   
    • Minion

I'd rather they utilize all the space in the current two parks before seeing anything out of a third park. But like others have said it is supposed to be going in at the toy story lot.

Don't count on Disney buying gardenwalk. It already has new owners and Disney would have bought it when they had the chance if they were interested. The new owners have many new tenants lined up and things are already moving forward.

• Minion

In all honesty I think Disney would rather have 2 crowded parks than 3 moderately busy parks. Having two parks is cheaper to run than having 3 so I think the profit margins would be higher packing everyone into 2 parks and everyone knows Disney likes their money.

The original plan and zoning for GW called for Disney to "operate" but not "own" the two hotels that were zoned for GW. The City of Anaheim was reluctant to let Disney own more land in Anaheim than they already did. There is also zoning for time-share DVC like condos on the roof of the parking structure at GW. When Disney passed on buying GW last time it came up for sale, it was believed that Disney had no near-term future plans for a 3rd gate and that "owning" GW would be a money-pit until there was actually a 3rd gate.

It is my understanding that Disney now holds the rights to the land immediately North of the proposed M&F's "East" Structure - that the structure is likely to be at least as big, if not bigger than M&F's but will require it's own off-ramp. Also, the trolley-line set to run from ARTIC to the resort district is intended to shuttle people back and forth between the Esplanade and the eventual 3rd gate although the proposed station would be North of GW where the 3rd gate is obviously South of GW - a problem for Disney, yes, they should buy GW, but right now, it would cost too much to run until they're ready to announce a 3rd gate. Before Disney announces a 3rd gate, GW is just overpriced real estate and whoever does own it is banking on Disney trying to buy it. It's probably not making money right now or in the foreseeable future, but it matters how long they're willing to finance losses until Disney wants to buy it - hoping for a big payday!

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    In all honesty I think Disney would rather have 2 crowded parks than 3 moderately busy parks. Having two parks is cheaper to run than having 3 so I think the profit margins would be higher packing everyone into 2 parks and everyone knows Disney likes their money.
    Well if DLR were to open a third gate, then that would change DLR from a "locals park" to a "tourist park" such as WDW. As it stands right now, most U.S tourists and international tourists would rather take a visit to WDW over DLR because WDW has 4 parks, whereas DLR has 2 parks, but if that scenario were to change to where DLR had 3 parks, then many tourists would prefer to take a vacation to DLR opposed to WDW simply because California is a larger tourists destination than Florida. When Disney does decide to open a third gate, then they are going to have to open at LEAST another 2 major hotels to accommodate the increase of tourists.

• "What is thy bidding?"

The big question is..."if" a Third gate was built what would be the theme and attractions within look like...Keep hearing Marvel and Star Wars. I agree with most in this thread that the next DCA phase 2.0 should happen before the 3rd Gate is opens to strengthen DCA's Draw first. (Will we see another expansion pack for the park?)

• the rum is always gone

Disney already has all the land it needs for a 3rd gate (yellow) (SEE BELOW). The only pieces missing to make a complete connection from DTD to the new parking structure to the 3rd gate is the Garden Walk Shopping Center (can be easily bought as it is bankrupt and is currently for sale) and the Park Vue Inn (which Disney may already own and the land, and it will be used to build a bridge over Harbor as MiceAge mentioned in a past update). Disney already owns the land in Red at the strawberry fields, so there is plenty of space of a 3rd gate.

Name:  DLR Master Plan.png
Views: 162
Size:  220.1 KB

The process in which this will all occur is the building of the new parking structure (blue), the bridge over Harbor to the esplanade. And then the purchasing of Garden Walk whenever the developer becomes desperate enough to sell it at a low enough price to Disney. Everything is set for a 3rd gate. Its just a matter of when Disney is willing to shell out the money for the new gate. My guess on the order is:
    Shanghai Disney
    Disneyland Parking Structure #2
    Upgrades to Hollywood Studios (Star Wars)
    New Disneyland Tomorrowland (Star Wars) or Star Wars at DCA (sadly, DL will get a clone of Orlando's)
    Expansion of Hong Kong Disneyland
    Epcot Improvements
    3rd Gate Anaheim

• Not the Hawkguy

Again, Garden Walk was already bought by a group of investment/real estate firms from New York in 2012. The land is, while not exactly thriving, turning something of a profit, and is transitioning towards more dining options and away from the large amount of retail space that hurt the area initially. Disney can probably buy up the land still, but at this point they already have the rights to hotels on the property, and that's probably all Disney is willing to take right now (and the fact that they haven't built those hotels yet is probably a sign of how much they're considering a third park at this moment).

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyobsession View Post
    Well if DLR were to open a third gate, then that would change DLR from a "locals park" to a "tourist park" such as WDW. As it stands right now, most U.S tourists and international tourists would rather take a visit to WDW over DLR because WDW has 4 parks, whereas DLR has 2 parks, but if that scenario were to change to where DLR had 3 parks, then many tourists would prefer to take a vacation to DLR opposed to WDW simply because California is a larger tourists destination than Florida. When Disney does decide to open a third gate, then they are going to have to open at LEAST another 2 major hotels to accommodate the increase of tourists.
    Would it become more of a tourist destination though? It seems a bit high risk to build a third park on the assumption it will attract more tourists from WDW. Any why would they want to bring more tourists from WDW, if they built a third park at Disneyland and attendance at all three Disneyland parks overall rose 5 million but WDW lost 5 million, they've spent billions of dollars to move customers from one coast to another which would probably make less profit as WDW would still probably take more days to do everything and Disneyland still isn't really a resort like WDW even with three parks. More people stay in Disney hotels in WDW thus spend more on food, merch etc so a bump of 5 million at Disneyland is not worth losing guests at WDW. Generally a WDW guest spends more than a Disneyland guest. Even if Disneyland had four parks and two water parks, the amount of hotels and restaurants close to Disneyland would suck away a ton of profit compared with WDW.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123